UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UCLA

Sounded to me like they did what Brown was stressing before the game. Be more patient on offense and having Jamar not try to take over the game too soon. Seemed like he let the game come to him more and then tried to take over in crunch time.

Iati was just freaky-really wished I could have seen him play tonight. He'll have to do it again at home sometime. Covington seemed to pitch in and give some good minutes when they needed him.

Sounded to me like they did what Brown was stressing before the game. Be more patient on offense and having Jamar not try to take over the game too soon. Seemed like he let the game come to him more and then tried to take over in crunch time.

Iati was just freaky-really wished I could have seen him play tonight. He'll have to do it again at home sometime. Covington seemed to pitch in and give some good minutes when they needed him.

10589[/snapback]

Though I had a Heidi moment with my Comcast DVR, I had the pleasure of just finishing watching the game. IATI....ridiculous.

UA has a bunch of things to work on...number one being intensity from the outset (they picked it up about 10 levels with 4 to go in the first and kept it going). Second, perimiter (sp....horrrible) D. They failed to rotatate on so many different occassions. To be frank, Albany outplayed UCLA except for the three point shots that they allowed UCLA to just let fly.

I gotta tell ya....Covington is going to be solid, and though he didnt do much, Connelly....can flat out run the floor....I mean the kid is athletic as hell.

If UA plays this well all year....things should take care of themselves.

Iati was just freaky-really wished I could have seen him play tonight.

The game was on Fox College Sports - Pacific. They usually re-air the games a few times.

I apologize if this is redundant for those that heard or saw the game.

Even with the loss, there were several positives:

1. Iati's shooting. Not only was he making them, but UCLA switched defenders and put a 6'5" or 6'6" guard on him and Iati was still getting his shot up.

2. Zoellner had two fouls (fourth and fifth) in a matter of seconds, but even with that, you can tell that the team was making an effort to get him the ball.

3. Jamar, Levi and Lucious did not depend on the 3 last night, they took a few but for most of the game they went to the basket hard. It was obvious that it was a mandate as they had a lot of shots blocked and turnovers.

4. Jimmy Covington played very well. Had a couple of key free throws and a couple of good moves in the paint.

5. Overall hustle. Brent missed a lot of 3's, but he worked very hard on both ends against his bigger opponents. Tried a baby hook a couple of times from the low post. Lillis played well when he got his minutes. He did a very good job overplaying his man. Also made a nice 3.

Other thoughts:

1. The announcers had some fun with the AE (mostly intentional). At one point they said that the conference had Maryland Baltimore Community College. They went through the nicknames of the teams...Also had some good info on Albany - they compared Albany - Siena to USC - UCLA. Noted that the Giants practiced at UA and that Brian may not be the best player in his family...

2. Shot of Brown meeting John Wooden and having his picture taken with him. Mentioned that Brown almost joined the Pitt staff before going to UA and could have ended up at UCLA with Howland.

3. Good discussion about McElroy going to the football practice and talking about his playing days - also had a shot of McElroy in the stands.

To be frank, Albany outplayed UCLA except for the three point shots that they allowed UCLA to just let fly.

I agree - they played a lot of match up zone which slowed down the inside play of UCLA, but they made their perimeter shots. UA had some trouble when UCLA started reversing the ball and foound the open man.

No respect - even during the post-game show, the announcers were questioning whether the closeness was because Albany played well or UCLA played poorly - I don't know how much better they want when Bruins shot 48%.

What struck me most was when UCLA was shooting foul shots - Covington or whoever would step in to box out, but the UCLAn (Fey or Matha) would just lean in and force him under the basket and get an easy rebound - a total physical overmatch. Only Zo might have been able to hold his ground.

Announcers also liked Iati, said they'd never seen a guard so short (said he's "5'8 on his best day) get his shot off with so little space between himself and defenders nearly a foot taller.

After his first two three-pointers: "Iati, Iati, one more and it's a Seinfeld episode"

The game will be re-aired at least once, I think around 3:00 today.

Great game to watch.

I though offensively the team played well. Some observations.

1. Jamar played well and under control for the most part. One circus shot that went in. He got no respect from the officials (as to be expected). At least a few drives there could/should have been fouls called. Played good D. He also had a sweet block that I don't see credit for in the box score. Similar to the block on Trim in the SH game. Oh, and he needs to just dunk (or not) the ball on the breakaway. Looked like he changed his mind a couple of times going to the basket.

2. Levi Levine must stay on the floor. 8 points, 5 rebound, and 5 assist against a top 25 team. Of all of the reasons Albany lost to Sacred Heart, Levi's foul trouble is number 1.

3. Zoellner offensively should only be used as he was for the short stretch last night. That is, if off of penetration he can catch a pass and dunk. No need to run the O into him.

4. Covington needs to see more and more minutes. In the AE he will be able to do the job on both ends of the floor.

5. Obviously not in order, Iati must replace Jordan in the starting lineup. Iati is just an incredible shooter and does a lot of things well. He is a bit of a liability size wise, but even UCLA only exploited it a couple of times. 23 pts, 5 boards, and 0 turnovers. I like Jordan, but from the second half of last year he has just been almost non existent. He appears to have lost confidence from the outside. And nobody covers him out there anymore, making his strength, penetrating, very difficult. Also is struggling with the enforcement of the carrying rule. His hesitation dribble is getting called. 0 pts, 2 boards, 3 turnovers, 10 minutes.

6. Lillis looked healthy. He did bury one open 3, but passed up another and ended up turning it over. The more he plays the better this team will be.

7. I hope anybody that jumped off the bandwagon feels a little better this morning, I know I do.

8. Brent Wilson continues to impress. Tough night shooting but ended with 9 pts, 7 boards, 3 assist, and a load of hustle. His inside offense should be a factor in conference play. Showed some good position and decent moves, including the already mentioned jump hook.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Edited by McFan

last night's showing made the trip out west worth every penny

the team hustled on D and made good use of the shot clock

I think that Iati will continue to start from now on

he has improved his game since redshirting last year

amazing how quick but still smooth his shot is

good to see Lillis getting more time - he pulled himself out at least once

so it appears they are being very careful with the foot

Levi kept his temper under control and showed the leadership that I have expected from him the last two years

Jamar needs to remember that he has teammates this year - still trying too hard at times

Zo - I can't believe I'm saying this but it looked like he was playing with intensity last night - if he continues this he will be a major factor in the AE

Seeing this team play at Pauley Pavillion is a dream come true

Other than the history and the ghosts flying around the rafters

not the best place to see a game

Cox Arena at SDSU was much nicer and of course brand new

At one point they put Wooden up on the big screen, the crowd broke out into some of the loudest applause of the night, it was at the time that we would have our last lead of the game

Hopefully this game will be a catalyst for the rest of the season

The team now knows that they can play with the big boys

The Florida game was not a fluke

All I can say is bring on $iena and the AE

last night's showing made the trip out west worth every penny

the team hustled on D and made good use of the shot clock

Sarge,

Great report! It must have been truly awesome to see the Danes play in such a historic arena. Interesting, though, your comparison of Pauley with SDSU's place.

It is also hear your report that we are much closer to running on all 4 cylinders than we were in the previous 2 games. I was really beginning to doubt. Somebody please slap me!