UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Tickets Available For Friday Nights Game -TU

Story in Times Useless says all tix are accounted for

All I can say is that

1) We have been season ticket holders since the first year they were offered at the RACC

2) We have been to every AE tourny game for men

3) We were in Bridgeport to witness the women's team get beat by UMASS-Lowell by 100something to almost nothing(Not a Great day to be a Great Dane -but we still LOVED it) in the DII era.

4) We have donated money every year to the the UAlbany Fund and also specifically to Athletics

5) Hey this year we traveled to SoCal and saw Iati light up Pauley Pavillion

We are 2 state workers making a fairly modest living who happen to bleed purple and gold. We were believers of Doc in the DIII and DII eras, we are still believer's in Coach Ford (may Ford Field rise up before he retires), and we have believed in Will Brown from the first time he said he would get us here.

I did not rush the court on Friday, I was in my seat in tears.

It is all about the student athletes and the quality people and coaches who lead them to greatness on and off the field. May the program continue under the current leadership of Dr McElroy and President Hall. Damn the torpedos, straight ahead as a leader in how to do DI the right way.

signing off for now B)

Sarge,

I hope you are very wrong with your implication that season ticket holders will not have access to the game.

Like you, I have been a fan of the Danes twice as long as some students are old.

All I can say right now is: Be patient!

Your quotation says that all tickets "have been accounted for."

Last week it was announced that all tickets for the Vermont game had been sold by noon on Tuesday.

Hours later we heard that 1,000 tickets purchased by corporations (a move which we have inadequately praised here on this board, IMO) would be made available to the students by Saturday morning.

I am going to think that the school will be opening up a sizeable allotment of tickets to the loyal ticket holders.

I think some university official said that 350 to 550 ticket would be made available to each school. If the university made only 100 available to the students, that means a sizeable number of tickets should be available to others in the UAlbany community.

For your sake, I hope I am right.

Me too.

Been a season ticket holder of 4 seats for at least 7, and I think its 8 years. Small time donor, but a donor none the less.

I'm not sure how many people should be in front of me on that list.

I'd be very dissappointed and interested to hear just how they were doled out.

I hope this just means we haven't been contacted yet but here is the wording from the article.

Tickets aren't available to the general public for the University at Albany's game on Friday against Connecticut in the first round of the NCAA Division I men's basketball tournament at Philadelphia's Wachovia Center.

Advertisement

UAlbany athletic ticket manager Rob Totaro said all 550 tickets allotted to the school have been reserved for UAlbany players and coaches, students, campus dignitaries, athletic donors, corporate sponsors and season-ticket holders.

The 100 student tickets sold out in 25 minutes this afternoon.

Tickets cost $60 each.

Edited by McFan

Sarge,

I hope you are very wrong with your implication that season ticket holders will not have access to the game.

Like you, I have been a fan of the Danes twice as long as some students are old.

All I can say right now is: Be patient!

Your quotation says that all tickets "have been accounted for."

Last week it was announced that all tickets for the Vermont game had been sold by noon on Tuesday.

Hours later we heard that 1,000 tickets purchased by corporations (a move which we have inadequately praised here on this board, IMO) would be made available to the students by Saturday morning.

I am going to think that the school will be opening up a sizeable allotment of tickets to the loyal ticket holders.

I think some university official said that 350 to 550 ticket would be made available to each school. If the university made only 100 available to the students, that means a sizeable number of tickets should be available to others in the UAlbany community.

For your sake, I hope I am right.

13011[/snapback]

olddog - I do not mean to offend anyone or to imply that season ticket holders did not have access to the University's allotment of tickets.

The TU story states that the University's allotment was 550. Of that 100 went out to students this afternoon. That leaves only 450 tickets for Family members of Coaches and Athletes, Upper Administrators, Large Donors, and finally we who are the season ticket holders. I believe that Dr McElroy , Coach Brown and Rob in the ticket office have been overwhelmed with phone calls and emails long before the selection show on Sunday evening. I know that we had made it clear 4 years ago that we would go anywhere when this day arrived. At the half on Saturday, I witnessed Dr McElroy approached by at least a dozen people asking to be put on the list for tix - no matter where the game would be played. I guess what I am trying to say is that 550 tickets is really not that many - I believe that the pep band and maybe even the cheer squad must get tix from this pool. I know that during the regular season if requested we must provide those types of tix to visiting teams. This is what happens to small schools (in basketball lingo) that get into the BIG DANCE. Larger schools that go every year have tour companies that buy tickets at the various venues and then sell packages including travel and lodging to fans of schools such as UConn, Duke, UNC, Syracuse, etc. Rember that even at the major Bowl Games there is a scarcity of tickets when purchased through the participating academic institutions. Is the system fair? NO - but it is what it is. It is also a major complaint of Murray Sperber who has written about the excesses of college sports in "College Sports INC" and "Beer and Circus". I have never been able to get tickets through the legitimate means when the Big Dance has been played at the Pepsi Arena, but I have always been able to find a ticket somewhere (although my wallet has often been alot lighter after finding a ticket)

Olddog - I know that you have been there through the lean times and through the Great times in the DIII era. It just appears that those who waited to hear something will not like what they are going to be told. The Athletic Department has had to make impossible decisions on who gets a very small number of tickets. It is too bad that at least all the regulars who are on this board will not be able to attend the game. It is obvious that all of us love the DANES, I appologize if my last post was over zealous, I meant no disrespect to anyone who has been a member of this quickly expanding group.

Sarge,

I don't take offense at your original remarks on this topic at all. On the contrary, I have the greatest sympathy for your plight. I apologize if I came on too strong. We are on the same side of this issue as to whether season ticket holders should be entitled to some of the available seats. I think we are misunderstanding each other.

I know that the university officials must have been overwhelmed by requests from all over the UAlbany community for tickets. That being said, I am surprised that the athletic office did not explain the general situation to all season ticket holders by email of the ticket availability today. Several times during the day I checked my email and answering machine for communications from the ticket office. Like the rest of the season ticket holders who have posted here on the topic, nobody seems to have heard anything either about availability.

All I was saying was that in light of no response from the non-student posters here, maybe we should wait one more day to see how things were shaking out.

Once again, I apologize for any misunderstanding I had with you on your first comments on this topic. I really hope you receive the opportunity to go to Philly!

I sent my E-mail in at exactly 12:00 PM and I got a reservation. Thinking about taking the bus to save gas. I wonder when it leaves cause I got a test in the morning.

12980[/snapback]

I am not even going to comment on that one. I think someone will read this board and spank me for my advice.

12981[/snapback]

AGREED!!!

hmmm...take test or...chance of a lifetime!!!!

go to class and puke everywhere ....then run to bus and retake later.

Not sure what you will have to do but as Albany student I am sure you will figure out a solution so that your butt is Philly watching the game

"Rember that even at the major Bowl Games there is a scarcity of tickets when purchased through the participating academic institutions. Is the system fair? NO - but it is what it is."

Sarge, I respectfully disagree, somewhat. Other schools at least seem to have a system based on length of time you've held season tickets, $'s donated etc. It's a system. Fair? Who knows but it is a system.

Knowing the AD or being a campus dignitery (that has no interest in the program until they make the tourney) should have no impact on ticket allocation.

I am also a bit miffed that there has been no communication on the UA website, no e-mail (bulk or personal), or phone calls made to season ticket holders to explain the situation.

Mishandling, or percieved mishandling, of this situation can be a real problem for long time supporters of the program.

Anyone with a clean license :D want to share my ride? My nephew and I are going btwn noon and 2:00 Friday and will return after game. Sorry not much time for pre / post game reveling but save some $ and wear & tear on the vehicles and drivers. My other idea is to damn the checking account and take the train - anyone else considering this?

Train schedule going shows a lot of options

coming back will have to wait 'till at least 5:15 AM to get back

I should probably invoke my personal 24 hour rule and not post when i'm upset. I was not upset at not having received a call about tickets untikl about 10 minutes ago when I pick up the Gazette.

I had made some inquiries about tickets, should the case arise, over the past few weeks, and I was told there would be very few available and they would go to large donors. I have absolutely no problem with that. I understand economic principle and the costs of our athletic dept. We need more Mr. Fallons to step up and allowing them first dibs on NCAA tickets seems rational to be. I also clearly understand the need to provide for players and coaches families and agree wholehearetly with providing for students.

What has me upset is the Gazette article indicating that available tickets were offered to the longest term season ticket holders until they were gone. Like the good Sarge, i'll offer my "credentials". I've attended at least 95% of all home games over the past 36 years, and probably 100-150 away games during that time period. I've purchased multile season tickets for as long as season tickets have been sold. I'm an annual donor to the athletic dept, altho not in the 4 digit range.

My point is this - don't put in the paper that you offered NCAA tix to your most dedicated season ticket holders, if you didn't. It just creates bad feelings. I will probably field a dozen calls from friends who know of my dedication to UAlbany basketball today, who read the Gazette, and who will wonder why i didn't get tickets. If you doled the tickets out to four digit athletic donors, so be it; just tell the truth. Who knows, you'll probably get more donors in the future that way. That's the way big schools do it

None of this will change my devotion. I just don't like being BSed via the newspaper.

Statefan,

Your credentials far outway mine, but I think my anger is approaching yours.

The University calls me pretty consistantly when looking for $. The e-mail me when they are looking for $. I reply on an annual basis with an appropriate amount. I inquired about tickets early on. They had no answer.

I've had a couple people in my office already asking if I got the tickets after seeing it in the paper.

I do not have my head in the sand and understand the big donor thing. The lack of communication is unbelievable. This has cut down on my options (maybe buying all three sessions and selling one etc). And as I stated earlier, other programs have a point system (see Gonzaga or Miami in the past by searching on Yahoo). Let me know how these tickets were given out.

It's awful quite on this board from a lot of season ticket holders. Did any of you get tickets? How was it communicated?

Brief e-mail to Rob Totaro in the ticket office that I have sent this morning.

Is there going to be any communication to season ticket holders? In case the Administration is unaware there is some real resentment that we have read in the paper that the tickets are gone.