UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What now?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B9 - stay away from the Kool Aid and the Wacky Tabacky - 300,000+ is never going to happen, 4 or 5 years should. I would hope it's 5 with limited out clauses.

If there fair I would expect Brown to be the third highest paid coach in the AE.

Wolff's contract (325,000) at BU is out of sight but Wolff has had great success at BU

Pikiels's contract(267,000) at Stony Brook is totally ridiculous, especially considering he has no DI Head Coaching experience and wasn't even the top guy as an assistant at Connecticut.

Patch I said 300,000+ incentives because it is inbetween Wolff and Pikiels. You and me are right that he should be in the top three. I think he should be number two, you think number three, I think you have point with that number being high and I value your opinion like anyone else on this board, but I think Will deserves the 300+ contract. Here are a few reasons why

I think one reason he deserves a large contract is his long gevity with UA. I know some of you people might acctually think I'm smoking or drinking kool aid, when I say this, especially with him being there only 5 seasons, but when you look at the current AE coaches; Brown is third on the list of coaches who have coached there current team. Walker has 6 years with Bing, and Wolff 12 seasons with BU, everyone else is either in there first or second year or has been fired. I think this counts for alot for Brown as it shows you how rare it is to find and keep good head coaches in the AE.

Second reason his record though he has a lossing record overall, he has done so much I won't go into the long list because many of us watched the early struggles. But I think its important to note that this past season he transformed a 5-23 team two-three years ago into a Champion and looks to have us set to win another AE title next year. He has those intangables that set him apart from many coaches in the league he has been a great recruiter always finding talent to make the team that much better, you can look at every class of his and you see that each has addressed a particular need; and he is a great coach I made the post earlier tonight currently we faced 1 team going to the final four with the possibility of 2 more and we played them well losing by an average of 13.3 points, and in two of those games (UConn, UCLA) we were in positions where we were leading with a chance to win. How many coaches in AE can or have done that?

Third this is more of an opinion but if we want to keep him and turn him into a lifer which might prove to be extremely difficult but not impossible in DI. We need to show him that we want him to stay long term and a way to do that is give him a contract that is befitting a coach of his success. Currently there are only two coaches in the AE that have even won an AE title Herrion and Wolff. I don't know how much Herrion makes at UNH but Wolff makes close to the amount that I feel Brown deserves.

Those are three reasons why I think Brown deserves to have a 300+ contract you can agree or disagree with the numbers. In closing I think you can make a point about the Athletic budget and how much it would be affected by 200,000 more going towards one coach but, if the Basketball program continues to do well which under Brown's leadership it looks like it will be. Then the athletic budget will grow through various ways including increased alumni support, also there are many benefits to having a successful basketball program, and that 200,000 extra for Brown if the program continues to have success will look like a drop in the buckett. Personally I think its worth the investment.

Edited by B9j2j6s

[300+....hmmm seems like a lot to me too

tripling last years pay is pretty signifigant jump. I think 200 with some more incentives is fair. I also think he will have several options to opt out which may be much more valuable to him financially. Will Brown is a good coach but our school does not have the money such as BU. Why Stonybrook ever paid that mUch dough is crazy in my opinion. I think Brown is a good coach and has helped tremondously but there are lots of good coaches available when and if Brown leaves by his choice or the universty. Brown is not Sauers and will not be at UAlbany forever as he admittedly has greater aspirations. I do hope that Ualbany can meet his dreams and be a nationally recognized basketball team allowing him and the team and school to grow together.

One more thing.....speaking of Sauers, I think we should stop with the ummmmteen plaques and name the court after him! He did so much for the program...lets really show him we respect him.

B9 - hopefully you understand that I was joking in my initial response to you.

I do believe 5 years would be appropriate and I just don't see 300,000 but......

If McElroy would have extended Brown 3 years like he did our women's coach I'm sure that with this seasons success that they would have revisited the contract and the figures would have jumped that's why I feel 200,000+ is where he should be at but that's just my opinion

AA94 - Will Brown is a good coach but our school does not have the money such as BU. Why Stonybrook ever paid that mUch dough is crazy in my opinion.

The one thing I know is that what one state school can do another can do if they choose. It's the administrations job to find a way.

If this contract situation doesn't work out (and I think it will) think about the ramifications of that and how that will be percieved by sponsors, the community, alumni and the entire AE.

I wonder what the people at ESPN like Billy Packer and Jim Nantz would have to say - I'm sure now it would draw some attention in their commentary - where as a few years ago it won't even be noted.

When was the last time a DI basketball team in the Capital Region has won their regular season conference title, their Conference tourney and made a great showing on national TV during the NCAAs (all in the same year). It doesn't happen that often so the man in charge should get handsomely rewarded.

In my opinion - It's time for the U Albany Administration to show their Coach some RESPECT.

I was also suprised to see the big pay range in the league. Granted Boston and Long Island are a lot more expensive places to live. I would think though that Hartford is in the same range as terms of cost of living. I would be curious to know how much Hofstra's coach makes as a good comparison for Stony Brooks salary. I think if we bump things up to the Hartford range 160-175k we will keep him for a while. A couple more years like this will have CAA and MAC teams calling even maybe a Richmond from the A-10.

Maybe we can have the old Vermont Coach brennan talk to him about how nice it was to stay in one place for a while.

Reading through some of the comments posters have made here on Will Brown's contract situation and salary makes me a little confused.

I may be wrong in reading between the lines, but the suggestion that comes through to me in many of these posts is the idea that Will Brown might be making a static salary throughout the lifetime of a multi-year contract.

The type of contract with which I am more familiar is the kind that rewards longevity; i.e., the longer an employee stays with a certain institution, the higher the salary goes. This salary schedule for Will Brown would not reflect certain kinds of incentives, such as winning the conference, winning the conference tournament, appearing in the NCAA, winning an NCAA game, hours spend recruiting, types of recruits, etc.

Some of you have called a $300,000 salary excessive and unaffordable. Yet, say Will Brown were to receive a base salary of $180,000 next year and then receive $20,000 increments in each of the remaining 4 years of a 5-year contract and all receive some incentive money, then a $300,000 salary in five years would not be all that unthinkable.

Receiving increments as a reward for longevity is a normal practice in educational institutions.

Of course, the administration would also have to contend with contract demands of other UAlbany coaches who have also contributed to the rise of athletic competition and greater national exposure for the school.

Anyway, I thought I would detail a couple of my ideas of how negotiations might go/have gone for Will Brown.