UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What now?

I've got it. Let's make it easy and give Coach Brown an exactly 100% salary increase for a nice round figure raise. That'd put his salary at $211,980. Certainly competative with the rest of the league and it'll show that we MOST DEFINITELY want him around and respect what he's done. Now I just have to type it up and fax it over to McElroy and Brown. Geez, I should do this more often...lol.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Verey Interesting - Administrative Support........

Stony Brook signs hoops coach Pikiell to extension

March 23, 2006

STONY BROOK, New York (Ticker) - Steve Pikiell won just four games in his first season as the men's basketball coach at Stony Brook. But he'll get a legitimate chance to turn the program around.

Stony Brook on Thursday signed Pikiell to a contract extension through the 2010-11 season.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

"This agreement reflects our belief that coach Pikiell is the right person to take us to heights never before experienced in men's basketball at Stony Brook University," athletic director Jim Fiore said. "Steve's vision, passion and enthusiasm has breathed much life into our men's basketball program and has clearly positioned the program for a turnaround in the coming years."

After replacing Nick Macarchuk as coach, Pikiell guided the Seawolves to a 4-24 record, including a 2-14 mark in the America East Conference, this past season. However in November, Pikiell landed a recruiting class that was ranked as the 32nd best in the country by Hoopscooponline.com.

"It is our collective goal to build and develop men's basketball at Stony Brook into a championship caliber program, one that the University, the greater Suffolk community, our alumni and our fans can be proud to support," Pikiell said.

I think we all know that if Will leads us to another NCAA appearance next season, an A-10 job will be available.

Three straight NCAAs or three NCAAs in 4 years = Big East job.

I could also see Will leaving after one year if a higher-paying job comes available.

13475[/snapback]

First of all that would require one of those jobs opening up, and 4 years sucess at Albany (while well apreciated by yours truly) does not necessarily warrant a Big East job. But 4 years is a long time in college basketball so who knows.

In terms of Coach Brown leaving I am not so sure of that. I would take a guess that if he wanted he could probably get a good job based on his performance this year and his ability to build a program that competed with UCLA and UCONN this season. But nevertheless he has reiterated many times that he wants to stay in UAlbany and build this program. Granted he would never come out and say I want to leave but we all know that actions speak louder then words and I would say that his inaction (not sure if that is a word) proves that he truly does want to stay in Albany to see this thing through.

I think we all know that if Will leads us to another NCAA appearance next season, an A-10 job will be available.

Three straight NCAAs or three NCAAs in 4 years = Big East job.

I could also see Will leaving after one year if a higher-paying job comes available.

13475[/snapback]

First of all that would require one of those jobs opening up, and 4 years sucess at Albany (while well apreciated by yours truly) does not necessarily warrant a Big East job. But 4 years is a long time in college basketball so who knows.

In terms of Coach Brown leaving I am not so sure of that. I would take a guess that if he wanted he could probably get a good job based on his performance this year and his ability to build a program that competed with UCLA and UCONN this season. But nevertheless he has reiterated many times that he wants to stay in UAlbany and build this program. Granted he would never come out and say I want to leave but we all know that actions speak louder then words and I would say that his inaction (not sure if that is a word) proves that he truly does want to stay in Albany to see this thing through.

13476[/snapback]

I agree! I can see Brown being a lifer here. Especially if he keeps building this program and in the ensuing conference shuffle we by some chance wind up in a better place. If he does leave, I’m not sure 4 years of success is enough to warrant a Big East job. It all comes down to money and how much they are willing to invest in him.

Edited by bosiydid

Wishful thinking on the loyalty thing.  UAlbany won't be able to pay him enough to keep him long term.

13479[/snapback]

Some wishful thinking I will admit, but some justifiable logic as well. In the few years he has been a coach here he had dealt with some real bad situations and still never broke his committment to the team, and then again this year he never broke his word, promising a more developed team that would compete day in and day out. If the Coach says that he wants to be here long term then I for one will not look for any word to doubt him, he has kept his word to this point and I see no reason to doubt him moving forward.

If the administration shows him he's wanted I'm sure Coach Brown will stick to his word as best he can. Look what Siena is doing right now for Coach McCaffrey and look what Stony Brook has done for Coach Pikiel.

Hey, if a ridiculous offer comes along anyone in their right mind has to be interested.

If the right offer comes along McElroy will surely pack his bags and head out.....

If the right offer comes along President Hall will pack his bags and head out.....

There's nothing at all wrong with that. It's a reality of "Big Business".

The key I think with Coach Brown is he is so young and therefore even with solid success he could hang around through another contract and be positioned well for a big reward.

He has a big upside, he's not at the tail end of his career, looking for a "Golden Parachute".

Like all of us, I like Will, and want him to coach here for many years. But lets be realistic, if a big money, high profile job comes along, Will's going to take it. He acknowledged this, saying last week that he aspires "to coach at the highest level" of college hoop. And of course there is nothing wrong with that.

Yes, he has been loyal, but to be fair, so was the Admin., by retaining a 31 year old as a D1 head coach after the Beeten fiasco. I think even Will would concede that his career track was accelerated by Beeten's unexpected departure.

Obviously, Will gets alot of credit for stabilizing, and then building the program during the last few years. That's why he will get a big raise and a multi-year deal. But lets not get ahead of ourselves. Sustained success (i.e. 20+ win seasons, and regular NCAA appearances) is usually what makes mid-major coaches attractive to schools in the big conferences. This year was great, but it will be the next 3-4 years that will determine the trajectory of Will's coaching future, as well as the future of the UA program.

Things change, and for UAlbany things have become much better in the last few years. This university's athletic program has developed much faster than usual; its change is so fast a lot of us cannot keep pace with it.

And, the changes are not complete. Although UAlbany competes in the Northeast Conference in football and the conference doesn't look very competitive now in Division 1-AA, the announcement of scholarship aid to specific athletes became a reality just yesterday.

If Dane96 is correct in his prognosis, then UAlbany will be bolting the America East in the not too distant future for the CAA, or some other higher-ranked league for all other sports.

What I am saying is that the continued growth of the athletic program at UAlbany may be able to compete against the aspirations of many of the very ambitious coaches at our institution. Why would any sane coaching member sacrifice relative calm and security for the unknown at another school? UAlbany should have enough to offer a lot of our current coaches for a long period of time.

That is the hope olddog, that Will's stature as a coach can grow as the program gets better.

There was an interesting column in the NY Times this week, about mid-major coaches who who leave great situations for more money, and end up out of a job because of mediocre performance and unreasonable expectations at the big time program. Buzz Peterson (teamate of Michael Jordan at UNC) was one example. Success at Tulsa led to big money offer from Tennessee which Peterson accepted. 4 mediocre years led to his firing. Now Peterson is coaching at Coastal Carolina which plays in a gym which only holds 1000 people.

The model I think we should all want for Will is Mark Few, coach of Gonzaga. He has been with the program 10+ years. As the Zags got better, and the program received more attention, Few's contract was adjusted accordingly. He now reportedly makes $500,000, which is less than the top tier coaches, but still provides an excellent quality of life in a place like Spokane WA. Few has turned down offers at major conference programs because he is comfortable being a big fish in a little pond, is paid well, has a good recruiting budget, and gets to play (and beat) the big boys in non conf. games.

That is the hope olddog, that Will's stature as a coach can grow as the program gets better.

There was an interesting column in the NY Times this week, about mid-major coaches who who leave great situations for more money, and end up out of a job because of mediocre performance and unreasonable expectations at the big time program. Buzz Peterson (teamate of Michael Jordan at UNC) was one example. Success at Tulsa led to big money offer from Tennessee which Peterson accepted. 4 mediocre years led to his firing. Now Peterson is coaching at Coastal Carolina which plays in a gym which only holds 1000 people.

The model I think we should all want for Will is Mark Few, coach of Gonzaga. He has been with the program 10+ years. As the Zags got better, and the program received more attention, Few's contract was adjusted accordingly. He now reportedly makes $500,000, which is less than the top tier coaches, but still provides an excellent quality of life in a place like Spokane WA. Few has turned down offers at major conference programs because he is comfortable being a big fish in a little pond, is paid well, has a good recruiting budget, and gets to play (and beat) the big boys in non conf. games.

13497[/snapback]

Great point. Few actually just turned down the request to meet with the Indiana search committee which would undoubtedly pay a ton more money than he makes at Zaga.

Big D has analyzed the situation quite well. Who would really want to coach that UConn team? They were indifferent during warm-ups, the first half and most of the second half. The coach almost went nuts trying to wake them up. Coaching at that level is financially rewarding but?? With that said, I was surpised at the salary range of AE coaches--$88,000 to $350,000. Granted the cost of living in Boston is a little higher than in Orono and experience adds to BU salary. I can't understand Stony Brooks action for the poor job that coach did. Glad I am not the UAlbany AD. He has very successful coaches in mens lacrosse, volleyball, softball, track and field, football and now basketball. How are you fair, work within your budget and keep them all happy????

Siena rewards McCaffrey for a job well done!!!!!!

From the MAAC site, posted by MTS - Looks like it was a 5 year deal for over $200,000 per year with incentives.

Should be interesting to see how Albany treats our coach for winning 21 games, the AE regular season title, the AE Tournament title and thrilling the UA faithful at the NCAAs.