UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Letters to the TU

Here is the one thing that I love about Siena fans, they find one Dane fan who is truly a homer (which is never a bad thing, because we all cant be as fair and balanced as the TU) and they all decide to go on a rant about how all UAlbany fans have no perspective and truly don't understand what "success" means at the college level.

I would like to thank all the dane fans with some persepective for posting here, I hope that the Siena fans that lose their way from Loudenville onto this website see that not all dane fans lose perspective and for the most part we understand that we have had small wins in the grand scheme of college basketball, but they are HUGE in terms of our program.

I hope that maybe Siena fans learn to take some "perspective" and stop making broad assumptions about Dane fans (similar to Mr. Ettkin and his reporting style).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bosiydid - There will always be fans who want to compare greatest accomplishments and might lose perspective. Siena has "had" good/ outstanding seasons and successes in the past but we must live in the present.......

Lets look at the immediate present the last two full seasons.

Siena 2004/05 RPI 297  6-24 overall  4-14 in MAAC play

2005/06 RPI 125 15-13 overall 10-8 in MAAC play

Last two years avg. RPI 211, 21-37 overall,  14-22 in MAAC play

Remember according to the RPI the MAAC was a tougher league this year,  last year the AE was rated higher then the MAAC. Also remember Siena is the self proclaimed "Crown Jewel of the MAAC" or the "Gold Standard"

UA     2004/05  RPI 195  13-15 overall 9-9 in AE play

2005/06  RPI 119  21-11 overall 13-3 in AE play

Last two years avg. RPI 157, 34-26 overall, 22-12 in AE play

These are the present facts, whatever plays out in the future so be it, but in the last two seasons the Great Danes have been the most productive of the two teams end of story.

Over the last two seasons which Hoop program has been the soundest.

13732[/snapback]

Patch,

No question that the last two season have been relatively good/great for UA and terrible/surprisingly good for Siena. But take that RPI and blow it out to 7 season or even 5. The picture changes dramatically. Hence my point that we need to be better then them consistently in order to rise to the top on the local hoops scene. I can’t believe that I’m defending Siena, and I’m the guy who wants to crush them when we play them.

13736[/snapback]

You cant justify blowing out the 5-7 year range. We were essentially a DII team playing DI games on the road. Right now is the present...the present says we are a better squad. Now, you can argue your point in 5-7 years by looking back...but you can say, with a clear head, that UA is on A MAJOR UPSWING....one that cant be denied, but inherently is, by Siena fans.

Edited by Dane96

bosiydid - There will always be fans who want to compare greatest accomplishments and might lose perspective. Siena has "had" good/ outstanding seasons and successes in the past but we must live in the present.......

Lets look at the immediate present the last two full seasons.

Siena 2004/05 RPI 297  6-24 overall  4-14 in MAAC play

2005/06 RPI 125 15-13 overall 10-8 in MAAC play

Last two years avg. RPI 211, 21-37 overall,  14-22 in MAAC play

Remember according to the RPI the MAAC was a tougher league this year,  last year the AE was rated higher then the MAAC. Also remember Siena is the self proclaimed "Crown Jewel of the MAAC" or the "Gold Standard"

UA    2004/05  RPI 195  13-15 overall 9-9 in AE play

2005/06  RPI 119  21-11 overall 13-3 in AE play

Last two years avg. RPI 157, 34-26 overall, 22-12 in AE play

These are the present facts, whatever plays out in the future so be it, but in the last two seasons the Great Danes have been the most productive of the two teams end of story.

Over the last two seasons which Hoop program has been the soundest.

13732[/snapback]

Patch,

No question that the last two season have been relatively good/great for UA and terrible/surprisingly good for Siena. But take that RPI and blow it out to 7 season or even 5. The picture changes dramatically. Hence my point that we need to be better then them consistently in order to rise to the top on the local hoops scene. I can’t believe that I’m defending Siena, and I’m the guy who wants to crush them when we play them.

13736[/snapback]

You cant justify blowing out the 5-7 year range. We were essentially a DII team playing DI games on the road. Right now is the present...the present says we are a better squad. Now, you can argue your point in 5-7 years by looking back...but you can say, with a clear head, that UA is on A MAJOR UPSWING....one that cant be denied, but inherently is, by Siena fans.

13739[/snapback]

It would be simply foolish of you to discount what Siena has accomplished. We have not accomplished nearly as much but that’s because we haven’t been around that long. There is nothing wrong with that statement. We do not have much history at the D1 level, and there is nothing wrong with that. In 5 – 10 years that will obviously change and we will have something to look back on, but as of right now no question they are the more accomplished program in the grand scheme of things. I can absolutely justify blowing it out 5-7 years! You cannot take the good and discount the bad; we were a D1 program that was very green, coming in fresh. Yes we struggled but you cannot throw that out the window and say well we just turned D1. We are comparing programs and not seasons. If you want to compare programs they are more accomplished. If you want to compare seasons the last two we were better but not by a mile.

. . . I would like to thank all the dane fans with some persepective for posting here, I hope that the Siena fans that lose their way from Loudenville onto this website see that not all dane fans lose perspective and for the most part we understand that we have had small wins in the grand scheme of college basketball, but they are HUGE in terms of our program. . . .

13738[/snapback]

I think one major reason why the fans here on this forum have reacted the way we do is because we remember the bad years. A record of 5-23 was not great, but the program and its fans persevered. We handled our adversity quite well. Part of the reason for our attitude was the strong belief that our program would move solidly forward because of our coach who was learning the ropes and because of the information we had on incoming recruits. Part of the reason was just our nature.

Two years ago you did not find nasty attacks against Brown or the players on this board. We all knew what to expect realistically, and we were positive about signs of progress we detected.

Compare the posts on this board, however, with what was going on over on the other board. Not only were the posters over there criticizing and/or defending to the hilt evry move their coach and their team members were making, they were savagely attacking each other. It was getting really cannibalistic over there.

I cannot tell you how glad I am to pursue UAlbany athletics. I like the personnel and team members (and it's not just restricted to the men's basketball team), I like our fans. Thank goodness we have this forum to gather information and show our appreciation.

. . . I would like to thank all the dane fans with some persepective for posting here, I hope that the Siena fans that lose their way from Loudenville onto this website see that not all dane fans lose perspective and for the most part we understand that we have had small wins in the grand scheme of college basketball, but they are HUGE in terms of our program. . . .

13738[/snapback]

I think one major reason why the fans here on this forum have reacted the way we do is because we remember the bad years. A record of 5-23 was not great, but the program and its fans persevered. We handled our adversity quite well. Part of the reason for our attitude was the strong belief that our program would move solidly forward because of our coach who was learning the ropes and because of the information we had on incoming recruits. Part of the reason was just our nature.

Two years ago you did not find nasty attacks against Brown or the players on this board. We all knew what to expect realistically, and we were positive about signs of progress we detected.

Compare the posts on this board, however, with what was going on over on the other board. Not only were the posters over there criticizing and/or defending to the hilt evry move their coach and their team members were making, they were savagely attacking each other. It was getting really cannibalistic over there.

I cannot tell you how glad I am to pursue UAlbany athletics. I like the personnel and team members (and it's not just restricted to the men's basketball team), I like our fans. Thank goodness we have this forum to gather information and show our appreciation.

13741[/snapback]

olddog,

I would just like to reiterate that since I found this board and the Siena board there have been many times that I had to defend my beloved Danes over there. I feel like most other Danes fans, that they continually try to belittle and put down own program and it seems that their only reason for doing so is that we’ve only been D1 for 7 seasons, and haven’t really had the time to put together a solid track record. But I think where our credibility suffers is when we look like a bunch of cool-aid drinking homers and unwilling/unable to really put it into perspective.

bosiydid,

I know you have defended us over there; I've seen your posts.

I also respect your comments here; you've gotten up to speed very fast over here, and I admire your respect for our team.

I agree with your assessment that we don't get enough respect over there, and I think your reasons partially explain that lack.

I have also defended our position over there numerous times, and I've slowly come to the realization that it often doesn't matter, but then I think it's not really my problem. Why should I expect respect for my opinion and my team, the enemy, when they don't often respect themselves?

bosiydid,

I know you have defended us over there; I've seen your posts.

I also respect your comments here; you've gotten up to speed very fast over here, and I admire your respect for our team.

I agree with your assessment that we don't get enough respect over there, and I think your reasons partially explain that lack.

I have also defended our position over there numerous times, and I've slowly come to the realization that it often doesn't matter, but then I think it's not really my problem. Why should I expect respect for my opinion and my team, the enemy, when they don't often respect themselves?

13743[/snapback]

I appreciate the kind words. If I could just add one more thing to my prior post…..I said that our credibility suffers when we look like a bunch of cool-aid drinking homers what I forgot to mention is that it’s exactly how I see many of the posters on the Siena board. And I don’t want us (UA fans) to be like them. Because that’s exactly what many over there are, cool-aid drinking homers.

bosiydid,

With all due respect, I really like your posts and your energy.

The Danes had their first true DI team last year. Look at the past UA rosters, heck 3 years ago we had the famous "four on the floor" finish at Hartford, Jon Iati played 40 minutes + a game, (yes 40 + minutes per game) and walk - ons were playing major minutes. Do you think that epitomizes being a true DI team?

In the last two seasons we have had a full roster of DI type talent - all I stated was lets just look at the present two years. No one can take away the successes of the past that Siena has had but they have to stop living in the past and realize there is another DI team in town..

Just look at all the great, well deserved praise and compliments placed on Coach McCaffrey - he took a program that was decimated and improved it by 9 wins in one year.

Well each of the past two years the Danes have improved by 8 wins, shouldn't we be excited about that?

I try to live my life in the present.

Those are two of the most bitter letters to the editor I have ever seen.

13745[/snapback]

I feel the same way. And not addressing the actual comments from the letters, I was actually surprised (you would think that I might have learned not to be by now) that the TU printed them...let alone two of them. I don't have a problem at all with rebutal letters to the editor, but these were more of a complaining/whinning type as opposed to relaltively well thought out letters that newspapers tend to print. Sort of surprised me.

13745[/snapback]

I feel the same way. And not addressing the actual comments from the letters, I was actually surprised (you would think that I might have learned not to be by now) that the TU printed them...let alone two of them. I don't have a problem at all with rebutal letters to the editor, but these were more of a complaining/whinning type as opposed to relaltively well thought out letters that newspapers tend to print. Sort of surprised me.

13748[/snapback]

I am yet to be surprised by the "BS" the TU continues to publish.

bosiydid,

With all due respect, I really like your posts and your energy.

The Danes had their first true DI team last year. Look at the past UA rosters, heck 3 years ago we had the famous "four on the floor" finish at Hartford, Jon Iati played 40 minutes + a game, (yes 40 + minutes per game) and walk - ons were playing major minutes. Do you think that epitomizes being a true DI team?

In the last two seasons we have had a full roster of DI type talent - all I stated was lets just look at the present two years. No one can take away the successes of the past that Siena has had but they have to stop living in the past and realize there is another DI team in town..

Just look at all the great, well deserved praise and compliments placed on Coach McCaffrey - he took a program that was decimated and improved it by 9 wins in one year.

Well each of the past two years the Danes have improved by 8 wins, shouldn't we be excited about that?

I try to live my life in the present.

13747[/snapback]

Patch,

Just because a team doesn’t play well or doesn’t have the players does not excuse them from being terrible. The growing pains that we were experiencing in our first few seasons were to be expected. But when talking about a program or club one must take into account the entire body of work. Look at the Atlanta or Charlotte in the NBA, they are terrible teams but they are going through necessary growing pains just like UA did at their level.

I have made your exact point on the Siena board a million times. Siena fans need to realize that they are no longer the only D1 team in town. The bristle at that notion and continually try to drag us down. But as we accumulate more wins and success at this level, they will have no choice but to come around. It must be HARD for them to accept that in only 7 seasons we’ve been to the NCAA’s and built this thing as fast as we have. Man I’m looking forward to the Siena game next season.

War Pepsi!

Edited by bosiydid

13745[/snapback]

13748[/snapback]

I am yet to be surprised by the "BS" the TU continues to publish.

13749[/snapback]

danefan,

Those letters were a rebuttal to a UA fan’s letter. They did print a UA fans latter. If they had only printed a Siena letter and not a single UA letter then your point would be well taken. Is this the hottest this rivalry has ever been or was there a time where it was hotter?

. . . Is this the hottest this rivalry has ever been or was there a time where it was hotter?

13751[/snapback]

We're at a different level from where we used to be during the old rivalry. Division I ratchets up everything a notch.

That being said, during the old rivalry one game had to be suspended at the Albany gym because a major fight broke out in the stands with 1:16 left in the game. This fight consumed about 1/4 of the stands opposite me. The refs just called the game, and Albany won 72-56. (Notice how I don't have to consult the score though the game was played over 30 years ago.)

Also, notice the article I reposted which appears under Dane history. The article describes another game played in the old gym where Albany fans were so intense that the referees controlling the game could not hear their mutual whistles. I also heard about the game from people living 100 miles away who had heard about the fan intensity. I was at that game also. There were fewer fans back then, but they were very "into" it.

It's hard to say how hot things are today compared to back then. I'm just providing some examples of how heated things could get.