UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Potential Recruit

As a partial qualifier I believe he is not eligible to play but will take classes. If he does OK he will be eligible in 07/08.

For us it's great because if he went to Prep school we probably wouldn't have gotten him. This is another example of how national TV exposure helps. Ambrose and Howard Little are players that in the past we normally wouldn't have had a shot at.

It funny it seems he is the heir apparent to Jamar's position and he comes from the same HS.

Ambrose also went for 20pts and 8 rebounds in a 55-50 Our Savior victory against Michael Yocum's 27-4 Episcopal Academy team.

I think our 07/08 recruiting may be done or do we have another "ship" to give?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH MY....

TIM...if you're reading this board...from one downstater to another...

...WELCOME TO YOUR NEW HOME...THE PURPLE KINGDOM!!!

He is joining what looks to be a very solid 07'-08' squad....WOW!

My contacts tell me he is a program changer!!!

Here's a note on Ambrose from Rivals.com

April 29, 2006

Justin Young

Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Recruiting Analyst

Timothy Ambrose, a 5-foot-11 unsigned senior guard for NY Elite/Our Savior New American scored 32 points against the Illinois Bobcats. The athletic and built guard said he is holing offers from Stony Brook and Fordham and is waiting for his SAT scores. If he gets the score he needs to qualify, Ambrose is hoping to catch on with a Big East school. Ideally, Ambrose would be a good late get for an A-10 school.

It seems like he's a good get for UA and the AE

I must say as a basketball recruit this guy could be the next Jamar. However I worry about grades; I'm glad to see that he will be able to start school next year and practice with the team.

BTW Didn't Jamar have issues with academics, or was he looking at a prep year because of our coaching situation back then?

As far as I know there were no issues with academics and Jamar. He considered prep school after Beeten left because he had already signed an LOI and was considering going to another school I think.

I share B9's apprehension about academics. The best example I can think of this kind of situation working out well was Rashuan Freeman at UMass. As far as I know he's had no problems academically after sitting out for a year. Sometimes for players it might be the best thing and hopefully it is for Ambrose.

I'm guessing the post-season success and the new contract has given the coaching staff some more liberty in looking at players who might not have gotten a look in the past few years for academic reasons.

Edited by Dane Pound

UAalum72 - Just to add to your case about recruiting in the metro NY area....

Also these statements about Ambrose are not from Great Danes fans who drank to much Purple Kool Aid. The comments are from neutral observers.

Has High Major Interest

by Brian Towey of NewYorkInsider.com, February 8, 2006 at 4:29pm ET

Tim Ambrose Profile

The New York area has had its share of risers this winter out of the senior class, but few have bolstered their stock the way Tim Ambrose has. The live-bodied and stocky 6-foot, 209 pound shooting guard from Our Savior New American in Centereach, New York, has elevated himself to arguably the top option among available players in the NYC vicinity.

"USC in California, they're interested," said Ambrose. "I spoke to Georgetown (on Monday). They're going to look at me. St. John's, Fairfield, Clemson (are interested)."

OSNA coach Ron Stelzer added that Pittsburgh had called to inquire about Ambrose.

Now lets hope he takes care of business in the classroom. He has the core courses. He cames up short on the test. If he is anything like Jamar as a quality person he'll persevere and take care of business.

UAalum72 - Just to add to your case about recruiting in the metro NY area....

Also these statements about Ambrose are not from Great Danes fans who drank to much Purple Kool Aid. The comments are from neutral observers.

Has High Major Interest

by Brian Towey of NewYorkInsider.com, February 8, 2006 at 4:29pm ET

Tim Ambrose Profile

The New York area has had its share of risers this winter out of the senior class, but few have bolstered their stock the way Tim Ambrose has. The live-bodied and stocky 6-foot, 209 pound shooting guard from Our Savior New American in Centereach, New York, has elevated himself to arguably the top option among available players in the NYC vicinity.

"USC in California, they're interested," said Ambrose. "I spoke to Georgetown (on Monday). They're going to look at me. St. John's, Fairfield, Clemson (are interested)."

OSNA coach Ron Stelzer added that Pittsburgh had called to inquire about Ambrose.

Now lets hope he takes care of business in the classroom. He has the core courses. He cames up short on the test. If he is anything like Jamar as a quality person he'll persevere and take care of business.

15059[/snapback]

If Fairfield was into this kid, they probably have him pretty well scouted. Cooley is the new head guy there, and he attended many OSNA games while recruiting Daye Kaba, his backcourt mate from France to BC. Cooley has a fantastic eye for talent, so this is probably a very good get for Albany.

Partial Qualifier

A "partial qualifier" is eligible to practice with the team at its home facility and receive an athletics scholarship during his or her first year at a Division I school and then has three (3) seasons of competition remaining.

A partial qualifier may earn a fourth year of competition, provided that at the beginning of the fifth academic year following the student-athlete's initial, full-time collegiate enrollment, the student-athlete has received a baccalaureate degree.

In order to be considered a "partial qualifier", you have not met the requirements for a qualifier but you're required to:

Graduate from high school;

Present a grade-point average (based on a maximum of 4.000) and a combined score on the SAT verbal and math sections or a sum score on the ACT based on the following partial qualifier index scale.

Not sure how he could receive a scholarship this coming year as I think they are all used

Edited by reeder

Not sure how he could receive a scholarship this coming year as I think they are all used

15061[/snapback]

Today's Times-Union - Danes' recruit plans to enroll says "Although UAlbany has no scholarships remaining for next season, Ambrose said he would qualify for financial aid and receive a scholarship starting in the 2007-08 season."

I didn't realize that if he qualifies he could be eligable to play this year. That's an interesting prospect.

I realize Ambrose is supposed to be an excellent player but to be described as the next Jamar Wilson. A lot of pressure but hopefully it's true.

I didn't realize that if he qualifies he could be eligable to play this year. That's an interesting prospect.

15065[/snapback]

I really can't imagine him playing next year, can any of you? With the stacked guards that this team already has (Jamar, Lillis, Siggers, Iati, Knight, Ross, Bauman, and Anderson), gotta think he'd have to be a LIGHTS OUT frosh to get any significant time if he were eligible to play at all this year.

Hopefully he just gets his academics all-set and is ready to BUST out for the 07-08 season.

15065[/snapback]

I really can't imagine him playing next year, can any of you? With the stacked guards that this team already has (Jamar, Lillis, Siggers, Iati, Knight, Ross, Bauman, and Anderson), gotta think he'd have to be a LIGHTS OUT frosh to get any significant time if he were eligible to play at all this year.

Hopefully he just gets his academics all-set and is ready to BUST out for the 07-08 season.

15066[/snapback]

If he is as good as some have told me...it will be tough to keep him off the floor.

I say let Tim take his first year and focus on academics get that squared away first. He should be allowed to practice with the team and be groomed as the article suggests to become Jamar's replacement. I think Tim could learn alot and start on his conditioning program. I would want this guy to be if he is as good as advertised both ROY and POY in his first season.

B9j2j6s - Lets not get carried away and put extremely high expectations on a kid who has never played DI ball.....

I would want this guy to be if he is as good as advertised both ROY and POY in his first season. - B9j2j6s

I would hope both he and Howard Little could come in, fit in with Brent, Lillis, Gifford etal.

Sometimes we forget the struggles Jamar went through early in his career. I understand the talent was limited to support him but evenwith those considerations he decision making was suspect his talent though was always noticable.

I too hope Ambrose is as advertised. I hope he has high major attributes but its not like he coming to a team that has no talent. There should be alot of talent and experience on the 07/08 team.

Lets not hype a kid we've never seen play, let his abilities at UA speak for themselves.