UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

"As the Siena World Turns"

The funniest part of today's paper appears on page C2, under "Talking Points", where the Times Union wishes Kojo Mensah to get well soon and says says that even the most ardent Siena fans should wish him a full and speedy recovery. Here's the last two sentences: "Some internet posters are making snarky observations about the incident under the guise of humor. That's just sad."

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funniest part of today's paper appears on page C2, under "Talking Points", where the Times Union wishes Kojo Mensah to get well soon and says says that even the most ardent Siena fans should wish him a full and speedy recovery.  Here's the last two sentences:  "Some internet posters are making snarky observations about the incident under the guise of humor.  That's just sad."

16307[/snapback]

Which, of course, have now been removed after I LAMBASTED GORVY. Guy is an utter disgrace for a human based on his last remarks and he simply could not say "I WAS WRONG."

Edited by Dane96

The funniest part of today's paper appears on page C2, under "Talking Points", where the Times Union wishes Kojo Mensah to get well soon and says says that even the most ardent Siena fans should wish him a full and speedy recovery.  Here's the last two sentences:  "Some internet posters are making snarky observations about the incident under the guise of humor.  That's just sad."

16307[/snapback]

Which, of course, have now been removed after I LAMBASTED GORVY. Guy is an utter disgrace for a human based on his last remarks and he simply could not say "I WAS WRONG."

16308[/snapback]

Dane96, While I didn't neccesarily agree with what he wrote, I do think his basic point about institutional control is on point. The college should most certainly provide security and limit access to non students at a school sponsored dance, especially one that ends at 2:00am. Failure to do so put all the students on campus at risk.

Statefan ... who wrote the talking point about Siena?

16307[/snapback]

16308[/snapback]

Dane96, While I didn't neccesarily agree with what he wrote, I do think his basic point about institutional control is on point. The college should most certainly provide security and limit access to non students at a school sponsored dance, especially one that ends at 2:00am. Failure to do so put all the students on campus at risk.

Statefan ... who wrote the talking point about Siena?

16314[/snapback]

Security can only do so much. How about the responsibility of the shooter. I don't see why there is always a need to place blame on someone else(security, instituion,etc.) instead of where is should be placed.(on the shooter) I for one hope all the players get better and the shooter is caught.

Security can only do so much. How about the responsibility of the shooter. I don't see why there is always a need to place blame on someone else(security, instituion,etc.) instead of where is should be placed.(on the shooter) I for one hope all the players get better and the shooter is caught.

16315[/snapback]

bob87,

You just hit on one of my pet peeve's about today's society. (Oh, no, here he goes again.) Blame the people most who are responsible, those who exercise poor judgment.

My prayers also go to the people injured, and not only for their physical wounds but also for other aspects of their health.

It was just announced that two other people were arrested for the shooting. This development comes after the arrest of a 19-year old woman who is being charged as an "accomplice."

Quackman - The Times Union doesn't have a by-line or an author noted in the Talking Points section. The paragraph about this was Talking Point #1 today on Page C2. I'm sure you know, and i'm guessing you might be thinking that Rodger Wyland has something to do with this, because he is sometimes responsible for Talking Point #3. However, when he writes one of the Talking Points, it is always #3 and he always affixes his name, and it is not present today.

To me, this speaks to two different issues. One - although it's not my place, i did think there were some inappropriate cracks on the Siena Board about this subject. Two- it continues to be apparant that the media reads the respective message boards and so people need to be aware of it when they post.

Oh Man!!! the arrogance of Siena people......

I too wish Mike Venezia all the best at Colgate.  It is a fine academic institution and I am sure a degree from there will serve him well.  That having been said, I find myself wondering whether he made his decision based on anticipated playing time. There is a fair bit of talent at Siena, and he will likely find minutes easier to come by in Colgate's gym than they would have been at the Times-Union Center.  Obviously, Fran and staff thought he was good enough to play at Siena or they would not have recruited him.  Perhaps Venezia just was not confident enough in his abilities to feel he would be successful here.  If that is in fact the case, he made a good decision, both for himslef and for Siena. - Knick Saint

Do Siena fans like Knick Saint ever think that Siena just wasn't the total package that Venezia wanted so therefore Siena wasn't his top choice but evidently Siena was atleast is his top 5.

Alot of kids visit and only a few sign that's the nature of the business. Each kid gets up to 5 paid official visits if they take all 5 they can only sign with one - are the other 4 just like this Siena fans and figure that the recruit must have been scared off by competition. These kids have been facing "comp" their entire lives.

Sometimes the old addage is true "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing."

I wonder if we've had any visitors this fall who were scared off???????? Most likely if they chose not too come they were more comfortable some place else - if so they probably made a wise choice for themselves. Picking a college is a "Big" decision.

Look at the reactions when Hoopers decide to leave(Hassan, BU and Kojo, Siena) a program.

Patch

I agree with you, Knick Saints post is silly.

Think about Knick saints reaction if a Providence fan made that same exact post and subsituted Providence for siena and Siena for colgate and Rossiter for Venezia as there certainly a bigger drop off in talent from the big east to the maac than there is from the maac to the patroit league.

Or how about this quotation from another Siena poster:

"The kid apparently is not what we were looking for otherwise he would have chosen us over Colgate. Obviously, he recognized how much of a battle he faced with all the talent Siena was accumulating and didn't feel up to the challenge. Best we found out now what the kid was made of.

We wish him the best of luck on a much inferior team. Obviously the kid sucked and was not someone we really wanted anyway."

The quotation explains itself. Talk about arrogance. The kid gets no credit for having other reasons for rejecting Siena, like a degree from Colgate might hold more water than one from Siena.

Edited by olddog71

Or how about this quotation from another Siena poster:

"The kid apparently is not what we were looking for otherwise he would have chosen us over Colgate. Obviously, he recognized how much of a battle he faced with all the talent Siena was accumulating and didn't feel up to the challenge. Best we found out now what the kid was made of.

We wish him the best of luck on a much inferior team. Obviously the kid sucked and was not someone we really wanted anyway."

The quotation explains itself. Talk about arrogance. The kid gets no credit for having other reasons for rejecting Siena, like a degree from Colgate might hold more water than one from Siena.

16557[/snapback]

Olddog ... I wasnt able to find this post on the Siena, but I agree the tone and substance is arrogant. I do believe, athletically (basketball), Siena compares favorable to Colgate but there is no doubt that academically Colgate is the much better school. Thing is, most D1 basketball recruits base their decision on the team, level, coaching staff etc over academics.

I will never understand how grown men and women question a kid's decision to attend one school over another (or transfer from one school to another). It is easy for those of us that went through the process when we were 18 to judge these kids based on our perspective. When it comes right down to it, these kids have to do what is right for them. I hope this kid does well at Colgate.

Olddog ... I wasnt able to find this post on the Siena, but I agree the tone and substance is arrogant.  I do believe, athletically (basketball), Siena compares favorable to Colgate but there is no doubt that academically Colgate is the much better school.  Thing is, most D1 basketball recruits base their decision on the team, level, coaching staff etc over academics. 

I will never understand how grown men and women question a kid's decision to attend one school over another (or transfer from one school to another).  It is easy for those of us that went through the process when we were 18 to judge these kids based on our perspective.  When it comes right down to it, these kids have to do what is right for them.  I hope this kid does well at Colgate.

16569[/snapback]

Quackman,

You're absolutely right when you state that a kid should do what's right for him, especially still at our level of basketball where most kids will earn most of their life's income from something other than basketball, or, for that matter, from any aspect of sports.

The quote came from the Voy Smack forum.

Thanks for a fair appraisal of the situation. And, I think, Siena, over the last few decades, has put on a more successful basketball program, in terms of wins and losses, than Colgate.

.......I will never understand how grown men and women question a kid's decision to attend one school over another (or transfer from one school to another). It is easy for those of us that went through the process when we were 18 to judge these kids based on our perspective. When it comes right down to it, these kids have to do what is right for them. I hope this kid does well at Colgate.

- Quackman

Quack you hit the nail on the head!!!! I don't care if it happens at UA, Siena or anywhere else.

Speaking of any group but especially young adults, they are going to make mistakes in all aspects of their life and hopefully they learn and benefit from them.

How many of us made pretty big mistakes or wrong choices and basically came away unscathed, some aren't so lucky.

I hope UA recruits, come to UA love it and are successful but if it doesn't work out here - so be it.

I wish them luck in their future endeavors.

Quackman,

You're absolutely right when you state that a kid should do what's right for him, especially still at our level of basketball where most kids will earn most of their life's income from something other than basketball, or, for that matter, from any aspect of sports.

The quote came from the Voy Smack forum.

Thanks for a fair appraisal of the situation. And, I think, Siena, over the last few decades, has put on a more successful basketball program, in terms of wins and losses, than Colgate.

16570[/snapback]

I believe the VOY smack forum quote you are using would probably be an Iona or Manhattan (or even perhaps a UAlbany) fan poking fun at Siena and it's fan base, rather than an actual Siena fan writing it.

It's amazing how the Siena site works.....

They are still living in the last century, always talking of their great history and blaming everything this century on their "Whipping Boy" Rob Lanier.

Now they have a thread about our graduation rate dating back into last century.

They dare not mention their men's basketball current APR which is on the threshhold of putting them in trouble with the NCAA.

What's that old addage "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

I also surely hope they can build up there number of season ticket holders, because it seems to be dwindling the past couple of years - while ours though relatively small keeps increasing at a very decent rate.

I can't wait to see the announced attendance for their NJIT game, it will be another game where Siena fans will be disguised as empty seats.