UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Random thoughts

Random thoughts:

1 – I can’t believe that the admissions standards are lower at Siena then they are at UAlbany. Aren’t they always making fun of UA for being basically a community college?

2- The guy they are all putting their trust in to deliver a great season is a 6’6” center that weighs 255 lb. and has been injured two seasons in a row not to mention hasn’t been playing competitive basketball. Does anyone else see how crazy this is? We’ve been hearing for months how Haddix is slimed down, but yet he weighs in at +2 lb since last season. Maybe he put on 5 or 10 lb (very optimistic) of muscle but I would hardly call him slimed down. He already has bad sticks so it can’t possibly be good for him to GAIN 2 pounds.

3 – Saw Brett Gifford at the football game. Not much you can tell by looking at a guy walk around. But he did have a couple of decent girls trailing him around all evening. At least I think they were decent from a distance. Did anyone else see him? He is a pretty big guy I would say 7’

Edited by bosiydid

Random thoughts:

1 – I can’t believe that the admissions standards are lower at Siena then they are at UAlbany.  Aren’t they always making fun of UA for being basically a community college? 

2- The guy they are all putting their trust in to deliver a great season is a 6’6” center that weighs 255 lb. and has been injured two seasons in a row not to mention hasn’t been playing competitive basketball.  Does anyone else see how crazy this is?  We’ve been hearing for months how Haddix is slimed down, but yet he weighs in at +2 lb since last season.  Maybe he put on 5 or 10 lb (very optimistic) of muscle but I would hardly call him slimed down.  He already has bad sticks so it can’t possibly be good for him to GAIN 2 pounds.

3 – Saw Brett Gifford at the football game.  Not much you can tell by looking at a guy walk around.  But he did have a couple of decent girls trailing him around all evening.  At least I think they were decent from a distance.  Did anyone else see him?  He is a pretty big guy I would say 7’

16094[/snapback]

Injured or not, Haddix on the floor is trouble...the kid is VERY GOOD!

Dane,

I know he is very good when he is on the floor. The problem is he can’t stay on the floor, who knows by the time we get to Dec 2 he might be injured again. I respect his skill but I guess I was poking fun at Siena fans for placing their trust in a guy who unfortunately for them is a walking injury. Plus his height has to be a VERY obvious liability. How can you have a starting center be only 6’6” not only short but very heavy for his height? This guy has the height of a SF and the weight of Shaq. I know some people here are petrified of him, but in the words of our “immortal” leader I say “bring’em on”

Dane,

I know he is very good when he is on the floor.  The problem is he can’t stay on the floor, who knows by the time we get to Dec 2 he might be injured again.  I respect his skill but I guess I was poking fun at Siena fans for placing their trust in a guy who unfortunately for them is a walking injury.  Plus his height has to be a VERY obvious liability.  How can you have a starting center be only 6’6” not only short but very heavy for his height?  This guy has the height of a SF and the weight of Shaq.  I know some people here are petrified of him, but in the words of our “immortal” leader I say “bring’em on”

16096[/snapback]

Oh boy....I have two words: CHARLES BARKLEY. Fat, short, and could out rebound eveyone. Haddix is no Barkley, but at this level he does the same things.

If the kid is on the court...he will give us fits.

bosiydid - Be careful what you wish for !!!!!!!!!!!!

Haddix is good I don't care if may be undersized and chunky.

On the court he's a man of stature who uses the tools he has extremely well.

There's a reason some posters may seem "petrified" of him, most of all even though he is an "Aint" he deserves our respect.

All you have to do is look at his past performance charts - he's a thoroughbred.

I realize that I come off somewhat cavalier about him and I don’t mean to disrespect his skills as obviously he is as you say a thoroughbred. My post was more directed at Siena fans who are placing their trust largely on a player who can’t stay on the court due to health issues. I agree, if he is out there he will do his thing and do it well, I don't mean to disrespect to him personally. But still he is only one out of 5 players on the court for the ‘aints and he has to stay within the confines of team ball. I don’t know the specific nature of his physical ailment and perhaps I’m talking out of my arse but it would seem that weight might have something to do with his sticks being “broken”. I guess the meat and potatoes of my post was that we have been hearing for months from ‘aint fans about how he is slimmed down and looking great etc. Only now to hear that he is actually 2 pounds heavier so for all intents and purposes still carrying the same amount of weight on legs that are already suspect. It was just an observation on how delusional Siena fans are. Again, I mean no disrespect to Haddix, even though he is heavy he obviously utilizes it quite well and it doesn’t seem to slow him down when he is on the court. I just find it comical that ‘aint fans are placing their trust in a guy who has a hard time staying healthy.

I can’t wait for this season to start!

Edited by bosiydid

Haddix could be 30 pounds heavier and I'd still expect him to be a good player. He's earned his reputation as far as I'm concerned especially with some double-doubles against us. I may not buy the hype on Siena's recruiting class until I see them but Haddix is a terrific player.

I saw Gifford at the football game as well. He looks like he will own his spot in the post. He was with the two young ladies as well. How does a freshman get popular enough to walk around with two girls on the first weekend of school? Whatever he knows I could have used that information when I was at UA.

Haddix could be 30 pounds heavier and I'd still expect him to be a good player. He's earned his reputation as far as I'm concerned especially with some double-doubles against us. I may not buy the hype on Siena's recruiting class until I see them but Haddix is a terrific player.

I saw Gifford at the football game as well. He looks like he will own his spot in the post. He was with the two young ladies as well. How does a freshman get popular enough to walk around with two girls on the first weekend of school? Whatever he knows I could have used that information when I was at UA.

16114[/snapback]

I saw him with about 4 ladies in tow! Granted they were all about 5' tall and came up to about his belly ....... never mind :P

In the spirit of random thoughts who do you think will emerge as team leader in 06/07? IMO Levi was the clear leader the past two years. I think of him on the floor pushing others in late 04/05 and early 05/06 as the team learned how to win… in late 05/06 I picture him greeting each starter as the pre-game line-ups were announced.

In the spirit of random thoughts who do you think will emerge as team leader in 06/07?  IMO Levi was the clear leader the past two years.  I think of him on the floor pushing others in late 04/05 and early 05/06 as the team learned how to win… in late 05/06 I picture him greeting each starter as the pre-game line-ups were announced.

16118[/snapback]

This one is easy its got to be Jamar, he is a senior, he has been around for five years and he is the core of this team. The captins this year will probably be the three returning starters Jamar, Brent and Lillis.

Random thoughts:

1 – I can’t believe that the admissions standards are lower at Siena then they are at UAlbany.  Aren’t they always making fun of UA for being basically a community college? 

2- The guy they are all putting their trust in to deliver a great season is a 6’6” center that weighs 255 lb. and has been injured two seasons in a row not to mention hasn’t been playing competitive basketball.  Does anyone else see how crazy this is?  We’ve been hearing for months how Haddix is slimed down, but yet he weighs in at +2 lb since last season.  Maybe he put on 5 or 10 lb (very optimistic) of muscle but I would hardly call him slimed down.  He already has bad sticks so it can’t possibly be good for him to GAIN 2 pounds.

3 – Saw Brett Gifford at the football game.  Not much you can tell by looking at a guy walk around.  But he did have a couple of decent girls trailing him around all evening.  At least I think they were decent from a distance.  Did anyone else see him?  He is a pretty big guy I would say 7’

16094[/snapback]

1 - You are kidding, right? I thought the only standard at Siena was you had to be dumb enough to pay the 31K a year that it costs to go there. OK, for you Siena folks, I am kidding. But, there certainly are other schools where you get a better education than Siena. Many of those schools cost less than Siena.

2 - As other posters have said Haddix is a good player. What remains to be seen is whether he can be part of a good team. When he last played Siena was a poor 6-24 and and even worse 1-11 in the games Haddix played in.

Edited by bob87

16118[/snapback]

This one is easy its got to be Jamar, he is a senior, he has been around for five years and he is the core of this team. The captins this year will probably be the three returning starters Jamar, Brent and Lillis.

16119[/snapback]

I agree those three are likely candidates. Sometimes though the captain choices can be surprising when viewed from the outside. If I remember right Lu was named a captain without ever having played a game as a Great Dane. I think Coach Brown citing his work effort in practice as the reason. For that reason I'll throw Jason Siggers name in there as well.