UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Stadium Poll in The Business Review

I was just happy to see that the issue of a stadium is actually being talked about in the community. Most seemed responsive. I wish I were able to make it to the Stony Brook game this weekend. I have heard nice things about their stadium. A lot of folks mentioned the buffalo stadium but I think Stony Brook is the better model to follow.

That's a surprising amount of comments. I didn't know the Business Review site got that many hits. In any event the support of those people is exactly what this kind of project would need.

Seems like a lot of them get that it wouldn't just be about college football. A new stadium could host HS football playoffs, concerts, etc.

I wouldn't usually post something like this but I'm trying everything possible to put off doing this project for class, and I know there's a good number of posters here who are interested in the stadium issue.

Provost (and current University officer in charge) Susan Herbst hosted a discussion on campus this evening regarding the Glaobal Warming/Climate Change issue as the official kick-off to UAlbany Green Week.

During the Q&A session, someone asked (wrote) the question 'Why doesn't the University spend the $40 million it's planning for a new football stadium instead to lessen UAlbany's negative environmental footprint?'..which received a decent applause.

She answered by saying that the University is currently in the process of conducting environmental impact studies so that if we're 'lucky enough to possibly build the stadium,' we could avoid negative impacts on the environment.

Not exactly the wording I was hoping for, but considering the format, I'm not too surprised. Although I was surprised that the question was brought up.

This Monday is the meeting about the stadium at the Chancellor's office in NYC. How much can we expect to find out about what goes on in there?

16821[/snapback]

If I can get over there I'm going to try and put a glass up against the door and I'll report back :)

Short of that I would not expect to hear much about what is said there. I know that with Admiral Ryan's background, "Loose lips, sinks ships"

SSS

During the Q&A session, someone asked (wrote) the question 'Why doesn't the University spend the $40 million it's planning for a new football stadium instead to lessen UAlbany's negative environmental footprint?'..which received a decent applause.

16817[/snapback]

Did someone define that? What is our negative environmental footprint?

16817[/snapback]

Did someone define that? What is our negative environmental footprint?

16824[/snapback]

whoever said that needs to be taken out the back door and kicked in the face with a steel toe.

I'd be curious if anyone can respond to Alum73's question. I recall there was some discontent among a group of faculty when the lands were cleared of trees and vegetation to construct the Empire Commons and i assume the same concerns were raised regarding the nano buildings. It would seem to me that construction of the football stadium would have much less environment impact than construction of Empire Commons did I was recently told that the football stadium is the University's top priority for non-academic related construction. The new Business School building is the overall top priority and top for academic related construction.

There is a great hope within the Section 2 football community that the stadium gets built so that it can play host to sectional championships and regional state quarter or semi finals. The RACC is used for sectional basketball and this past year the Lacrosse field was used for league and sectional championships. I'm obviously quite partisan, but bringing community athletic events onto the campus provides benefits for the University in many areas.

The meaning of negative environmental impact was not defined when the question was read. But how I heard it to mean was with $40 million, would it be more useful to use the money to reduce the University's negative environmental factors overall (ie, energy useage, university transportation, etc) as opposed to the environmental impacts of the stadium specifically.

This Monday is the meeting about the stadium at the Chancellor's office in NYC. How much can we expect to find out about what goes on in there?

16821[/snapback]

I'll be meeting with him on something completely unrelated in the next couple weeks, so I'll try to mention it off-hand if I can appropriately.