UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Non-Conference Discussion

Hello all. With the start of the season just 17 days away, I have my personal thoughts on how the team will do in the first 12 games prior to the AE schedule. I would be satisfied with an 8-4 record after the 12 non-conference games. I am givings us wins against Delaware, Sacred Heart, Brown, Harvard, St. Bonaventure, Cornell, Utah Valley St.. Losses to Bucknell, UConn, and Utah. The 2 toss-ups are VCU and Siena and I went with a split making us 8-4. Anybody with thoughts on this?. Am I too conservative or too optimistic? I know last years start was horrible but I doubt Will Brown will let that happen again.

Appreciate your thoughts from this great group of UA fans.

Hello all.  With the  start of the season just  17 days away, I have my personal thoughts on how the team will do in the first 12 games prior to the AE schedule.  I would be satisfied with an 8-4 record after the 12 non-conference games.  I am givings us wins against Delaware, Sacred Heart, Brown, Harvard, St. Bonaventure, Cornell, Utah Valley St..  Losses to Bucknell, UConn, and Utah.  The 2 toss-ups are VCU and Siena and I went with a split making us 8-4.  Anybody with thoughts on this?.  Am I too conservative or too optimistic?  I know last years start was horrible but I doubt Will Brown will let that happen again.

17005[/snapback]

I will be optimistic and predict a 9-3 record. I agree with most of your wins. I think VCU AND Buknell are winnable game both lost a lot from last year, (Bucknell) its the first game of the year for them, I think the team will catch them off guard. Losses will probably come from UConn and Utah but I think both will be close games. I think we will split Siena and St. Bonaventure both should be really exciting games. I'm excited and can't wait for Nov. 10 and 11

Hello all.  With the  start of the season just  17 days away, I have my personal thoughts on how the team will do in the first 12 games prior to the AE schedule.  I would be satisfied with an 8-4 record after the 12 non-conference games.  I am givings us wins against Delaware, Sacred Heart, Brown, Harvard, St. Bonaventure, Cornell, Utah Valley St..   Losses to Bucknell, UConn, and Utah.   The 2 toss-ups are VCU and Siena and I went with a split making us 8-4.  Anybody with thoughts on this?.  Am I too conservative or too optimistic?  I know last years start was horrible but I doubt Will Brown will let that happen again.

17005[/snapback]

i think a lot of our ooc success will depend on the team's health. we know that Iati is out for a while, but i do not think Brent's or Ross's status is that clear right now. plus, it just may take a little while for the team to gel. personally, i'd be thrilled with an 8-4 start. after all, we lost to both harvard and sacred heart at home last year, and we could be due for another bad loss at home (and on the road) again this year, as this team figures it out.

i'd just like to see the team continue to improve during our ooc schedule. well, that and the merciless pounding of LCC. i'm not going to worry about our record and rpi just yet, though an opening day win v. bucknell could set the tone for a very excitable season and racc this year.

not being much of a prognosticator-- though not for a lack of trying--i'd say 7-5, with a possible loss ot delaware.

Edited by steve_gersztoff

I think they will get through the OOC game with a winning record (8-4 is possible).

I am much more concerned that Gifford, Yocum, Covington and Connelly develop as post players and that the team understand their rotation and their roles. That is what will get the team back to the tournament. I think some of the OOC opponents have very skilled post players – Siena and Bucknell come to mine – our kids need a chance to grow and improve.

When people look back at last year, they’ll remember the sellouts, the conference championship and playing UConn well.

They generally don’t remember some of the OOC struggles:

• Being beat soundly by Siena until a furious second half comeback

• A horrible game against SDSU

• Losing to Sacred Heart at home and being booed by the home crowd

• Losing to Harvard who played without their best player.

IMO, the OOC games just get the kids ready for the conference game – helping them to peak for the tournament in Boston.

I think they will get through the OOC game with a winning record (8-4 is possible).

I am much more concerned that Gifford, Yocum, Covington and Connelly develop as post players and that the team understand their rotation and their roles.  That is what will get the team back to the tournament.   I think some of the OOC opponents have very skilled post players – Siena and Bucknell come to mine – our kids need a chance to grow and improve.

When people look back at last year, they’ll remember the sellouts, the conference championship and playing UConn well.

They generally don’t remember some of the OOC struggles:

• Being beat soundly by Siena until a furious second half comeback

• A horrible game against SDSU

• Losing to Sacred Heart at home and being booed by the home crowd

• Losing to Harvard who played without their best player.

IMO, the OOC games just get the kids ready for the conference game – helping them to peak for the tournament in Boston.

17010[/snapback]

Reeder,

Good analysis. You make many good points.

I'm going to be a little optimistic for the OOC season. Last year the team still didn't know how to win games. That scenario was the tradition of our time in Division I; we had never done well. I think this team will get out of the starting gate in much better fashion than last year.

Edited by olddog71

I was very pleased to see the talent of the newcomers in the scrimmage. There did not seem to be a big gap between the newbies and the vets. That being said it means the team is very young! I would be happy with a 6-6 OOC schedule as long as the 6 losses are close losses to the better teams!! I think the team we see Nov. 11 will be far different than the team we will see March 1. I think the OOC schedule is a great schedule for both the team and the fans.

I think it will take the team a couple of games to gel. At least unlike last year this team and more importantly the leaders on this team know how to win and what it takes to be successful. If I was to make a prediction I'd say 7-5, I think the schedule is challenging, and even though Bucknell lost allot in the front court, I still think they will be tough. I'm hoping we at least take care of the teams we are supposed to beat. I remember last year we had some bad out of conference losses, like Harvard. We barely showed up for that game. If this team is comes out sharp then I can see 8-4 but for predictions sake 7-5.

This was posted on the AE board by NYR:

Here's UA's OOC schedule and CHN rankings.

UConn (33)

Bucknell (58)

Bracketbuster (approx. 80-110)

Utah (96)

Siena (129)

VCU (165)

Brown (181)

Delaware (238)

Sacred Heart (248)

Cornell (255)

Utah Valley State (270)

Harvard (278)

St. Bonaventure (280)

If for arguments sake, you say that the CHN rankings are comparable to their RPI, UA would be predicted to win all but 2 or 3 of these games.

Hopefully we start out with a healthy Lillis, which we haven't for the last 2 years. We also start the year with Siggers making major contributions, which didn't happen until well into last season. This team has a chance to be better than last years, which is necessary as I think the AE, in general, will be improved.

Just reading through the Blue Ribbon Yearbook (AKA yet another reason my leaves won't get raked until December) and agree about the rest of the conference improving. The conference had added some good coaches the last couple of seasons and teams like UNH, Maine and Vermont should all be improved from last year.

BTW, the guys on the AE Board were raving about Blue Ribbon so I got one. It's 385 pages of college basketball goodness I'll be getting every fall from now on. I'll be bringing it to the exhibition game on Friday if anyone wants to check it out.