UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany vs. Bucknell

Thought I might as well get this thread started for thoughts, predictions, etc...

The big thing I'm anxious to see is who starts at the 5. It's the only spot left that Coach Brown hasn't given a definitive answer on. Jimmie obviously has the experience and gives us a nice bruiser down low. Gifford's the big recruit with more of an offensive game and a big 4 inches over the sophmore. I think Brett will be our regular starter at the spot by the time conference play roles around, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Coach put Jimmie out there first on Saturday.

And I'll go out on a (homer) limb and make the first prediction.. UAlbany 74 Bucknell 70 ...the Danes pull out a close one late as the opener homecourt advantage helps and the Bison take some time to get adjusted with their young squad.

Bucknell lost a lot last year but still might start three seniors on Saturday so they won't be real young. To be honest it doesn't matter if it's Gifford or Covington starting because we are going to need them both. Bucknell's center, Chris McNaughton scares the hell out of me. A 6'11 guy who has shot over 60% from the floor over his career and is the preseason player of the year in their league. That's a heck of a test for our young frontcourt.

Bucknell lost a lot last year but still might start three seniors on Saturday so they won't be real young. To be honest it doesn't matter if it's Gifford or Covington starting because we are going to need them both. Bucknell's center, Chris McNaughton scares the hell out of me. A 6'11 guy who has shot over 60% from the floor over his career and is the preseason player of the year in their league. That's a heck of a test for our young frontcourt.

17363[/snapback]

Much like Wilson will be a "loss" for Bucknell, chalk up McNaughton as a loss for us. The best we can hope for is that Covington bodies him up something fierce...making him regret coming into the post, and using Yocum, Gifford, and Connelly for fresh legs. If Gifford comes out with an offensive game...this would be an interesting matchup.

Homer:

Albany 68- Bucknell 65

17363[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly re: MacNaughton. If I said in a previous thread that I'd be happy to go 7-5 in OOC, its sort of tough to pick us here. This will be a nice game, however, to see what we have up front. I have a feeling Covington will get some quality minutes here because of how he likes to bang around inside. However at 6'7" or something, he's still spotting McNaughton 4 inches.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us start quickly, fade during the middle 20 minutes and come roaring back, thanks largely to our athleticism and transition game in the last 10, only to lose by a couple. It'll be interesting to see if Vegas makes a line on the game.

On a personal note, someone I used to be friends with is personal friends with the Griffin family, and will be in attendance. I'm having nightmares about John Griffin dropping a trey at the buzzer.

IMO, McNaughton presents a challenge - will give Gifford and company a chance to grow as post players.

I also think it will be interesting to see how Jamar plays. I would like to see him drive and kick out when appropriate. Not sure that anyone on Bucknell's team will be able to stay with him. If Jamar can consistently do that throughout the season UA has a chance to be very good. Vitale used to call that a 3D player - drive, draw and dish. With Siggers, Iati, Brent and Knight roaming around the three point line - if Jamar can consistently draw their defenders and get these guys open shots...

That said, it would be great to get a win - will be a big crowd, opening game... but Bucknell will present challenges with McNaughton.

Reeder I agree with you completely about Jamar. I'd like to see him drive and kick (to a 3-point shooter) more than he drives and dishes (to someone else in the lane).

After watching the way the refs called the first two UVM games I expect him to get called for a few carries unless he's careful.

This should be a great home game for our fans. Bucknell is going to be very tough but we have the athletes to beat them.

I'm confident about out wing players but I am counting on Jamar to break down the defense by driving down the lane. When the defense converges on him hopefully that sets Covington and Gifford up with easy shots right next to the hoop. Give those two some confidence by getting a couple easy baskets and tough for anyone to handle.

There were 900 tickets left on sale as of Thursday afternoon - not including 1,000 that are set aside for students - and UAlbany coach Will Brown said he would be “disappointed, shocked and upset'’ if the game doesn’t sell out.

This quote per the Singelais blog - there are some tickets available for tomorrows game.

1000 students?

There were 900 tickets left on sale as of Thursday afternoon - not including 1,000 that are set aside for students - and UAlbany coach Will Brown said he would be “disappointed, shocked and upset'’ if the game doesn’t sell out.

This quote per the Singelais blog - there are some tickets available for tomorrows game.

1000 students?

17456[/snapback]

I haven't heard or felt alot of buzz going around in the dorms. I might be wrong, but it's just what I've gathered. I don't think they've done a good job advertising this game to the students. Maybe others have different opinions.

I actually was gonna say the opposite..so maybe there's some higher anticipation among the upperclassmen? I've had a lot of my friends for the past couple weeks constantly asking me when they were gonna start giving out the student tickets. Quite a bit different than me always doing anything and everything to convince them just go to any game over the past few years.

I'm a season ticket holder and my seat is right at the mid court line like 4th row back. But my brother and a friend of mine from Toronto of all places will be coming to the game, so I bought three tickets in the bleacher section. So I'm bringing some people with me! I'm probably not even gone use my real good seat (Row E seat 7) so I can sit with my guys. I can't believe the season opens tomorrow, this is the best time of the year for me.

what time is everyone (students) planning on showing up to the womens game tonight for tickets to the mens game? doors open at six, is there gonna be a line forming before than?

17473[/snapback]

you have to go to the womens game to get tickets for the Men's game?

17477[/snapback]

From a boxoffice email sent to students...

"TICKETING FOR NOVEMBER 11TH

Tickets for the Men's Home Opener will be available in limited quantity

at the November 10th Women's Basketball Game against La Salle. In order

to be eligible to receive tickets, students must arrive prior to

halftime and be in the first 1,000 students in attendance. Tickets will

not be distributed until the game has concluded. SEFCU Arena will open

its doors at 6:00 PM for Student Entry. If student tickets are still

remaining after the game, they will be available at 6:00 PM on Saturday,

November 11th. All procedures, regulations and restrictions will apply

to this special ticket distribution."

what time is everyone (students) planning on showing up to the womens game tonight for tickets to the mens game? doors open at six, is there gonna be a line forming before than?

17473[/snapback]

you have to go to the womens game to get tickets for the Men's game?

17477[/snapback]

From a boxoffice email sent to students...

"TICKETING FOR NOVEMBER 11TH

Tickets for the Men's Home Opener will be available in limited quantity

at the November 10th Women's Basketball Game against La Salle. In order

to be eligible to receive tickets, students must arrive prior to

halftime and be in the first 1,000 students in attendance. Tickets will

not be distributed until the game has concluded. SEFCU Arena will open

its doors at 6:00 PM for Student Entry. If student tickets are still

remaining after the game, they will be available at 6:00 PM on Saturday,

November 11th. All procedures, regulations and restrictions will apply

to this special ticket distribution."

17478[/snapback]

well, I'm pretty much screwed then