UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Losing Late in Regulation

I needed to ditstract myself from all the Siena postings, so my question is:

With the game on the line, which UAlbany player do/did you like to see have the last shot, for either a mid-range jumper, or a three ball?

I know Jamar will get many of the looks nowadays, and deservedly so, but is there anybody else you would feel confident with the ball in their hands?

This post isn't meant to bash any of the old or current players. Rather, I wanted the answer from the fan's perspective.

Also, free throws can be considered.

To be honest I rather see Siggers make a clutch shot, don't get me wrong I would also like to see Jamar with it but Siggers has proven that he can hit the shot when it matters. ref. @ Binghamton last year, Jamar has had his oppertunities but I can never remember him hitting a last second shot so thats why I would want Siggers taking it.

With the game on the line, which UAlbany player do/did you like to see have the last shot, for either a mid-range jumper, or a three ball?

I know Jamar will get many of the looks nowadays, and deservedly so, but is there anybody else you would feel confident with the ball in their hands?

This post isn't meant to bash any of the old or current players.  Rather, I wanted the answer from the fan's perspective.

18258[/snapback]

For free throws hands down, Jamar or Levi.

Give me the late season Kirsten Zolener for the inside.

For an all around utility guy to get to the hole or in the hole from Richmond Heights, Ohio #44 Will Brand.

The stats don't really show what a step up guy he was for this team.

Remember this is only MHO, I don't have the years of Great Dane ball under my belt that many of my elders here on the board have.

"It's not a saftey school, It's a party school"

This post isn't meant to bash any of the old or current players.  Rather, I wanted the answer from the fan's perspective.

18258[/snapback]

For free throws hands down, Jamar or Levi.

Give me the late season Kirsten Zolener for the inside.

For an all around utility guy to get to the hole or in the hole from Richmond Heights, Ohio #44 Will Brand.

The stats don't really show what a step up guy he was for this team.

Remember this is only MHO, I don't have the years of Great Dane ball under my belt that many of my elders here on the board have.

"It's not a saftey school, It's a party school"

18302[/snapback]

Jason Graber....followed by Todd Cetner

Margison - more game winning shots than anyone before or since

18319[/snapback]

KingDane,

I agree with you that he was one of the best in the school's history. No wonder one of the teams back then was known as the "Cardiac Kids," including the famous victory versus Lemoyne.

BTW, While searching for other things, I found my bag of old Albany basketball clippings. I honestly thought I had thrown them out.

About the LeMoyne game.

That was Albany's first ever post-season NCAA invitation. 69-70 season. I still have the program. At that time Division II and III had a combined post season tournament. We were invited to play in Syracuse at Lemoyne. We played Wagner the first night and LeMoyne played Montclair State.

We trailed 29-2 to start the Wagner game and ended up losing 109-64. Wagner had a guy named Ray Hodge, who I believe played briefly in the NBA.

In the consolation game the next night we trailed LeMoyne 70-60 with 1:06 to play. [Keep in mind that LeMoyne is a Catholic school with green and gold colors, so the similarities were nauseatingly evident]. We ended up winning the game 71-70 in a final minute to remember.

Montclair State beat Wagner, and I'm not certain, but I think they went on to win the national tournament.

About the LeMoyne game.

That was Albany's first ever post-season NCAA invitation. 69-70 season. I still have the program. At that time Division II and III had a combined post season tournament. We were invited to play in Syracuse at Lemoyne. We played Wagner the first night and LeMoyne played Montclair State.

We trailed 29-2 to start the Wagner game and ended up losing 109-64. Wagner had a guy named Ray Hodge, who I believe played briefly in the NBA.

In the consolation game the next night we trailed LeMoyne 70-60 with 1:06 to play. [Keep in mind that LeMoyne is a Catholic school with green and gold colors, so the similarities were nauseatingly evident]. We ended up winning the game 71-70 in a final minute to remember.

Montclair State beat Wagner, and I'm not certain, but I think they went on to win the national tournament.

18327[/snapback]

There was no three-point shot back then, so it was even more remarkable that Albany was able to score the last 11 points in such a short time.

The Wagner game was, I think, tied with the worst defeat the school has ever suffered, and it was unbelievable that Albany could overcome the crushing blow the next night to beat the home team.

BTW, I found the article on the last game played between Albany and Siena in the old series. It confirms your statement that the game was played at the ARC, and not the Washington Armory, as I had believed. The article further stated that Albany's defeat of Siena at its host site was the first time Siena, now a Division I team, lost to a Division III team at home.

I am so glad that I didn't discard that bag!

Archived