UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Raffa

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

31 in Game #18 (a loss) for Wildwood Catholic:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/...p-7022639c.html

"Middle overcame a 31-point effort from Wildwood Catholic standout Anthony Raffa. The Crusaders built a two-point halftime lead as Raffa scored 13 of those points in the second quarter — many on acrobatic spin moves to the basket that drew roars from the fans who packed Middle's sweltering gym."

31 in Game #18 (a loss) for Wildwood Catholic:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/...p-7022639c.html

"Middle overcame a 31-point effort from Wildwood Catholic standout Anthony Raffa. The Crusaders built a two-point halftime lead as Raffa scored 13 of those points in the second quarter — many on acrobatic spin moves to the basket that drew roars from the fans who packed Middle's sweltering gym."

The impending arrival of Mr. Raffa continues to tantalize all in Dane Land. The writer for the Press of Atlantic City is doing much to excite us all.

Game #19, a 'W':

WILDWOOD CATHOLIC 71,

CAPE MAY TECH 48

Wildwood Catholic opened a 42-19 halftime lead and was never threatened. Anthony Raffa had 25 points and Pat Kelly 22 to lead the Crusaders. Robby Davis had 16 points for Cape May Tech.

Cape May Tech 9 10 15 14 — 48

Wildwood Catholic 21 21 19 10 — 71

Cape May Tech — Coleman 2 3-4 7, Davis 6 1-3 16, Durstewitz 4 0-0 10, Ranalli 1 3-6 5, Romano 1 2-2 4, Thomas 2 0-0 4, Fiorentino 1 0-1 2. Totals — 17 9-16 48.

Wildwood Catholic — Raffa 10 4-4 25, Bri Haas 2 0-0 4, Hindelang 1 1-2 3, Kelly 6 8-8 22, DeWeese 1 2-2 4, Garriot 2 0-2 4, Smith 0 2-2 2, Flynn 0 1-2 1, Rogers 1 0-0 2, Bre Haas 1 0-0 2, Jett 1 0-0 2. Totals 25 18-22 71.

3-pointers — Davis (3), Durstewitz (2) CMT; Raffa, Kelly (2) WC.

RECORDS — Wildwood Catholic 14-5.

I watched a recording of his game from the ABCD camp (I wish I could find the link now, I've tried) coupe of things stick out after watching the entire game. He is very very very fast, I mean he brings it up the court very quickly. The other thing I seem to remember is that his instinct is to always drive to the hoop, because of his quickness and speed he usually goes where he wants to go, at least in that game. Very good handle with the ball and sees the court well as there were several lobs for dunks that were right on the mark. I don't remember anything about his shooting for some odd reason, so can't really offer anything on that, made some layups but I don't remember how his outside shooting was. Thats what I seem to remember! I wish I could find the link and post it here again, I'll try once more to find it.

Edit: After watching parts of the game again...it appears my recollection was a little overinflated.....he needs work on defense as it appears he just stands around on the defensive end. When the ball is not in his hands seems to stand around on offense disinterested.

This was only one game and there didn't seem to be that much continuity on the team as almost everyone was going one on one. He was actually probably the only guy who was looking to setup his team mates as he made several nice pases, at one point actually passes up a wide open layup to feed it to a team mate. Head is always up looking for an easy pass, seems to enjoy passing and running the point (although he didn't run the point in this game) my sense was that he has very solid court awareness, hits a guy from half court on a no look.

Hit a three and a couple of layups on the break, looks fast and quick (shifty). Looks to be a very talented player but of course needs work like all high school players especially by the looks of it in the weight room. Should be exciting to watch, once the coaching staff has a chance to mold him into a Dane.

I think it's also important to point out once again that this was one game with/against guys he has never seen. A game where everyone was taking the ball and chucking it up trying to make a name for themselves. He was actually looking to setup other and doing all things a PG should do. CHN ranks him 104 out of 150 players at the camp for what it's worth.

I for one am cautiously optimistic, he has work to do but should be a very solid player.

sorry guys edit again...... Link forgot to include the link. July 7th Net's vs. Jazz game, if you want to see a nice spurt by him with some decent play forward to around the 37:00 minute mark.

Game #20, a conference clinching win, with 34 in 3 quarters:

WILDWOOD CATHOLIC 76, SACRED HEART 55

Anthony Raffa scored 34 points in three quarters as the Crusaders clinched the Cape-Atlantic League National Conference Division II title with the win.

Clark Hindelang added 14 points for the winners.

Sacred Heart's Jarrod Headley scored 11 of his team-high 14 points in the second half.

Sacred Heart 12 10 13 20 - 55

Wildwood Catholic 20 23 29 4 - 76

SH: Headley 5 4-7 14, Bochese 0 2-2 2, Triantos 4 3-4 11, DeRossi 6 0-0 12, Ince 2 3-3 7, Galletto 1 0-0 2, Bernhardt 1 0-0 2, Schmidt 1 0-0 3, Zorzi 1 0-0 2. Totals 21 12-16 55.

WC: Raffa 15 4-4 34, Haas 2 2-4 6, Hindelang 7 0-0 14, Kelly 2 0-0 5, DeWeese 2 0-0 4, Garriott 2 0-0 4, Smith 1 1-2 3, Flynn 0 1-2 1, Rogers 1 0-0 2, Bre. Haas 1 0-0 2. Totals 33 9-14 76.

3-Pointers: Schmidt SH. Kelly WC.

RECORDS: Sacred Heart 3-16; Wildwood Catholic 15-5

I remember hearing that his performance at the ABCD camp hurt his recruiting stock with bigger name schools.

I watched a recording of his game from the ABCD camp (I wish I could find the link now, I've tried) coupe of things stick out after watching the entire game. He is very very very fast, I mean he brings it up the court very quickly. The other thing I seem to remember is that his instinct is to always drive to the hoop, because of his quickness and speed he usually goes where he wants to go, at least in that game. Very good handle with the ball and sees the court well as there were several lobs for dunks that were right on the mark. I don't remember anything about his shooting for some odd reason, so can't really offer anything on that, made some layups but I don't remember how his outside shooting was. Thats what I seem to remember! I wish I could find the link and post it here again, I'll try once more to find it.

Edit: After watching parts of the game again...it appears my recollection was a little overinflated.....he needs work on defense as it appears he just stands around on the defensive end. When the ball is not in his hands seems to stand around on offense disinterested.

This was only one game and there didn't seem to be that much continuity on the team as almost everyone was going one on one. He was actually probably the only guy who was looking to setup his team mates as he made several nice pases, at one point actually passes up a wide open layup to feed it to a team mate. Head is always up looking for an easy pass, seems to enjoy passing and running the point (although he didn't run the point in this game) my sense was that he has very solid court awareness, hits a guy from half court on a no look.

Hit a three and a couple of layups on the break, looks fast and quick (shifty). Looks to be a very talented player but of course needs work like all high school players especially by the looks of it in the weight room. Should be exciting to watch, once the coaching staff has a chance to mold him into a Dane.

I think it's also important to point out once again that this was one game with/against guys he has never seen. A game where everyone was taking the ball and chucking it up trying to make a name for themselves. He was actually looking to setup other and doing all things a PG should do. CHN ranks him 104 out of 150 players at the camp for what it's worth.

I for one am cautiously optimistic, he has work to do but should be a very solid player.

sorry guys edit again...... Link forgot to include the link. July 7th Net's vs. Jazz game, if you want to see a nice spurt by him with some decent play forward to around the 37:00 minute mark.

I've read the same things, most notably on CHN's reporting of the camp. Apparently he didn't meet expectations/didn't have a great camp as he was hyped to be a major type player. This one game, the only one available for viewing he had a solid game, but ABCD camp spans several days and I guess overall he was subpar.

Keep in mind most of the players at this camp are high level recruits (Mayo, Lowe the likes), the fact that he even got invited and was "ranked" for what it's worth 104th out of 150 players present bodes well for the type of guy we are getting at our level.

I've been guilty of hyping allot of recruits so lets wait and see what we get, but he is a promising player by all accounts.

i know they don't invite scrubs to that camp. It is my hope that Will has found a gem. BTW does anyone know if any current or past player in the AE ever attended a ABCD.

I've read the same things, most notably on CHN's reporting of the camp. Apparently he didn't meet expectations/didn't have a great camp as he was hyped to be a major type player. This one game, the only one available for viewing he had a solid game, but ABCD camp spans several days and I guess overall he was subpar.

Keep in mind most of the players at this camp are high level recruits (Mayo, Lowe the likes), the fact that he even got invited and was "ranked" for what it's worth 104th out of 150 players present bodes well for the type of guy we are getting at our level.

I've been guilty of hyping allot of recruits so lets wait and see what we get, but he is a promising player by all accounts.

The result isn't exactly what you would want but the quotes from the recruiting evaluator are heartening. Sam Carchidi | Raffa and Sanders: Poetry in motion

Thanks DP, excellent read! Seems like a mixed bag with this guy, I didn't really like the fact that he "frequently questioned the referees" so who knows what we are gona get. Will better get some guys who can run, "fast and faster" because based on all the information available this guy go hard ALL THE TIME. Should be fun to see what develops.

Trying to get this current.

Game #22, a win over Holy Spirit; Raffa with 28.

WILDWOOD CATHOLIC 64,

HOLY SPIRIT 57

Anthony Raffa scored 17 of 28 points in the second half for Wildwood Catholic.

Clark Hindelang scored 22 for the Crusaders.

Holy Spirit raced out to a 36-27 halftime lead as Cliff Spiller scored 10 of his 13 points.

Brian Crilley scored 16 for the Spartans.

Holy Spirit 14 22 9 12 — 57

Wildwood Catholic 9 18 18 19 — 64

HS — Farber 3 2-4 8, Crilley 6 1-3 16, Bailey 2 2-4 7, Brooks 1 2-2 4, Spiller 5 3-8 13, DeSouza 2 0-1 6, smith 1 0-2 3. Totals 20 10-24 57.

WC — Raffa 9 9-11 28, Haas 1 1-2 3, Hindelang 8 5-9 22, Kelly 2 1-4 6, Smith 1 3-4 5. Totals 21 19-30 64.

3-pointers — Crilley (3), Bailey, Smith, DeSouza (2) HS; Raffa, Hindelang, Kelly WC.

RECORDS — Wildwood Catholic 16-6.

Archived