UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

time to move on

To Boise St, BU, and SB. Especially Boise State - that should be a fun game.

Facts about today's game:

- UA will not get an at-large bid after today's loss :)

- We still have a shot at homecourt, if UVM doesn't make the final.

Let's have some fun with the final games. They are important -- not just for this season, but beyond. With a season like this one (provided it doesn't destruct), the last one, and a few more, we can look to upgrade our conference. In the interim, if UVM and we continue, and the other schools strengthen their programs, maybe AE in general will be upgraded. But either way, we need to win games.

On another note -- anyone notice the freshmen admit rate go from 62% to 55% from '05 to '06? I can think of only reason for that swing (which is closer to Binghamton, if not a touch better) -- and it was on the floor in philadelphia last March. College hoops are *really* important at this level -- for a good but relatively unknown large university, it's the best PR we can hope for. I hope they reserve some of the seats for these games for prospective students. And for alumni, if you leave NYS, nobody knows one SUNY campus from the other -- trust me -- I only live in Mass and I have to explain constantly (see, there are four main campuses like UMass Amherst or UNH, and they're all more-or-less the same, ...) On my management team bio, it just says "BS State University of New York" without even a campus mentioned. I'm a bit tired of this, so we need to win some more games!

On the issue of admissions, Acting President Susan Herbst mentioned during halftime interview that applications for freshman admission are up by 14% from last year. The more applications there are, the more selective the University can be. I have to think some of that jump relates to the hoop team's success.

A better basketball team creating a better college atmosphere and better academic initiatives definitely contribute, but you also need to consider:

1) The continued escalation of private university tuitions, which are shutting out everybody but the progeny of the power elite.

2) The increase in overall student population resulting from a larger world population.

Just thinking of anything but basketball this morning. It was a disappointing loss, but it was to a quality team, and it was a great atmosphere. Even if the NCAAs are not in the future (which is no guarantee), the NIT needs to consider this team.

A better basketball team creating a better college atmosphere and better academic initiatives definitely contribute, but you also need to consider:

1) The continued escalation of private university tuitions, which are shutting out everybody but the progeny of the power elite.

2) The increase in overall student population resulting from a larger world population.

Just thinking of anything but basketball this morning. It was a disappointing loss, but it was to a quality team, and it was a great atmosphere. Even if the NCAAs are not in the future (which is no guarantee), the NIT needs to consider this team.

The NIT has been known to take teams from America East........Both Boston University and Northeastern have received NIT bids.in the past, after losing in the conference tournament and failing to receive the automatic to the NCAA.

An NIT game at SEFCU Arena? not a bad idea. hmmmmmmmmm.

wait a second....this one isn't over. we still have a crack at the big dance. Let's not worry about NIT unless we have to.

The NIT has been known to take teams from America East........Both Boston University and Northeastern have received NIT bids.in the past, after losing in the conference tournament and failing to receive the automatic to the NCAA.

wait a second....this one isn't over. we still have a crack at the big dance. Let's not worry about NIT unless we have to.

You are right. The teams goal is still the NCAA not the NIT like the other area team who starts talking NIT in December. Better to strive to be the best and fall short than to strive for the NIT.

A nice write-up about our tourney hopes by FOX sports...much better than those who assume Vermont gets it just b/c they happen to be in first place.

Albany will [most likely] not repeat as America East regular-season champions, but that doesn't mean it won't repeat as conference-tournament champion.

The Great Danes lost at home to Vermont dropping their record to 11-3. Vermont, at 11-1, is in the driver's seat to take home the conference title in the regular season.

That means that if Vermont and Albany reach the title game, it will be played in Vermont. Vermont has beaten Albany both times the teams played this season.

Still, no one will be selling their stock in Albany. The Great Danes have lost twice to Vermont, but both games were close and the teams seem to be evenly matched.

The Great Danes have diversified their offense as the season has gone along, and before the Vermont game they were playing their best basketball of the season. If Albany can continue playing at that level, it could meet the Catamounts again before the season ends.

You are right. The teams goal is still the NCAA not the NIT like the other area team who starts talking NIT in December. Better to strive to be the best and fall short than to strive for the NIT.

I'm still pulling for the NCAA trip. No way in heck that I'm about to, as a fan, trade in my America East Tournament tickets for a male thong and a ticket to Burlington's annual butt pirate parade. Go DANES!

In Conference action tonight, Vermont, though down 18-10 in the first half, came back to beat Maine in Orono, 90-75.

Archived