UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The Price of Success

I would like to echo Patch's comments from the other thread, but this is the price we pay for success. It is difficult as a long time follower of this team, (I know many of you have watched for more than the 25 years I have) to see fans leaving with seconds and minutes left on the clock. This team did not let us down - Iati did not let us down - Coach Brown did not let us down. We as fans should take a lesson from watching what goes on at that other school, as bob87 would say - that community college in Loudonville. Routinely fans leave early during losses. Coaches and players are blamed and asked to leave town. When a game is lost why is it that OUR team did something wrong. To my knowledge no team in D-1 NCAA is undefeated at this point in the season. Is this loss worse than the Bingo loss. No - Vermont is a far better team. By the way there is no guarantee that either of these teams will be playing in the Championship game. As for me I would like US to go Vermont on that Sat morning and knock the monkey of Patrick Gym off our backs once and for all.

With all the early defections, my wife asked after the game - what I thought would happen with season ticket sales if we lose in the tournament? What do all of you think? - the reactions of our new found fan base do not appear encouraging. Will Brown is building a PROGRAM at this University. I for one believe that we are only seeing the foundation being finished. Jamar is the cornerstone of this program. Hopefully Coach Brown will continue to be the architect and builder. We are having a GREAT season, it's not over by a long shot - PLEASE STAY TUNED!

I'm telling you guys, when you watch the games on TV it looks like half the people there are bored to death. I brought this up last week and got a bit of a reaction from the faithful on here. I'm not saying its you guys, because its not, but everyone's sentiment on the board today is confirming that some fans really aren't into the games? I mean c'mon, leaving before the end of that game yesterday?

I'm telling you guys, when you watch the games on TV it looks like half the people there are bored to death. I brought this up last week and got a bit of a reaction from the faithful on here. I'm not saying its you guys, because its not, but everyone's sentiment on the board today is confirming that some fans really aren't into the games? I mean c'mon, leaving before the end of that game yesterday?

This may be preaching to the choir since everyone here is a die hard fan but it is a little perplexing how people can be running out of the building just to beat the traffic. Reminds me of LLC! This loss chaps my ass but it was only one loss, the season goes on, we still have games to play. I got up at yelled yesterday at people leaving...."where you going, game isn't over" only to get an empty stare from a guy, the rest of the people just kept walking. Unfortunately those people don't read this board.

I feel the same way about some of our fans. It's not like your going to get stuck in an hour of traffic. Its really not bad at all. And why leave in the first place? I realize that the crowds were getting now are a lot bigger than just a few years ago, but they should be. With the amount of students and alumni in the area and a small arena, there is no reason we shouldn't sell out more often. Tickets are cheap, so are the eats. Coach Brown is building a great little program here and our season isn't over. There is still plenty of things left to do.

This may be preaching to the choir since everyone here is a die hard fan but it is a little perplexing how people can be running out of the building just to beat the traffic. Reminds me of LLC! This loss chaps my ass but it was only one loss, the season goes on, we still have games to play. I got up at yelled yesterday at people leaving...."where you going, game isn't over" only to get an empty stare from a guy, the rest of the people just kept walking. Unfortunately those people don't read this board.

I don't like the fans that leave early any more than the rest of you. Fortunately none of them were in my row or they would have heard a sarcastic comment.

But , you are always going to have people like that. I have even seen people leave concerts before the encore to beat the traffic even knowing the band was going to play their signature song during the encore.

As a graduate from a Big 10 school, I must say I've never been to such dynamic and energetic basketball games. (Football's a different story but that'll come with the new stadium). Fans used to leave early from the Big 10 games too; people are just impatient. The UA student section is really working on making appropriate and catchy cheers... the spirit is definitely attracting the underclassmen as well.

An admirable sports program helps to make a renowned institution and a closer student/alumni community. I'm excited to see Albany's progression over the next couple years. It was the enthusiastic fans and committed team that won me over...

It was about two seasons ago that I was harping about the poor student turnout at games. What a turn around, with thanks to people like GoDanesGo , Thorpe, et.al., and, of course, winning basketball, the students are now dominating the fan scene at games. They are enthusiastic, noisy, clever, and pretty damn astute (as witnessed by their attempt to get everyone to stand up during those last two minutes of the game knowing that we still had a chance). Kudos to the UAlbany student body. I think that we also see that the great atmosphere at games will only occur when the students are present in large numbers. With a few exceptions, most of the old fart contingent can't generate as much energy.

I would also like to commend the students on their efforts. The 2000 was great. The turnout has been excellent. I also think the "old farts" are much more lively than other older contingents that I've seen. We won't win them all, but we're winning most and our atmosphere is really electric. It definitely helps and is appreciated. Go Danes!!

It was about two seasons ago that I was harping about the poor student turnout at games. What a turn around, with thanks to people like GoDanesGo , Thorpe, et.al., and, of course, winning basketball, the students are now dominating the fan scene at games. They are enthusiastic, noisy, clever, and pretty damn astute (as witnessed by their attempt to get everyone to stand up during those last two minutes of the game knowing that we still had a chance). Kudos to the UAlbany student body. I think that we also see that the great atmosphere at games will only occur when the students are present in large numbers. With a few exceptions, most of the old fart contingent can't generate as much energy.

Thanks for the kind words '66. Though I've just been following the team for 4-5 years now..those of you who have been fans (and esp season ticket holders) for decades now are the true fans..through all the ups, downs, transitions, etc. It's not too tough to get me out to see games..all I do is sit there and watch some free NCAA DI basketball, plus it gets me away from reading and other class work for a bit..you won't hear me complaining. :P

Sitting across the aisle from the UVM fans I think they were really impressed with the end to end U-------A cheer and they were chuckling over the MAPLE SYRUP cheer. With continued imagination of the students, we can eventually dump the "Y__ S__K' cheer forever. As for season tickets--not a problem if the product is as exciting and the effort is as good as it has been. Of course the price needs to be enticing and it should be because we don't pay rent for the SEFCU.

Re: season tickets, the way I look at it is it's a way to give back to the school and get something tangible and immediate in return. Sure, one could hand over a check for $500 or $1000 or more to the school or athletic department (and I'm not saying to not do that). Another idea is to buy up not just 2 or 4 season tickets, but maybe 5 or 6 (or more). Help support the school that way and then give out the extra tickets to friends, families, and coworkers who have never been to a game or would like to go to one; i.e., try to get them hooked. Just a little something that I've tried to do ... (in addition to buying merchandise and eating as many of those dry, yet tasty, BBQ chicken sandwhiches as I can ... hehe).

A couple of games ago this guy behind me started mocking the fans who left early by claiming it was OK, since Jamar had been taken out, and thats really what we all came to see. I was laughing pretty hard at that. I love the sarcasm. Personally, i leave when the game is over and not a second earlier but i guess all the fouls in the last few minutes made people get a bit anxious and i can understand that. As far as attendance and season tickets, i can remember a time when there was noone in the crowd so we've already gotten to the point where there is a good fan base. This is my first year with season tickets because i've been getting my student tickets for the last 3 years and was worried i wouldn't get a seat to every game after my experience standing outside for championship tickets last year. I don't mind paying the extra if the environment stays the same as it is in the CUE now. Unfortunately i'll be attending Winthrop grad school next year and wont be able to renue but i guarantee this program is going to just get stronger and stronger as Will creates a name for both himself and the program.

Archived