UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Binghamton Coach from St. Rose?

Bearcats need a new head coach

3/7/2007 10:31 AM

By: Web Staff

St. Rose men's basketball coach Brian Beaury is making headlines in Binghamton.

When the Bearcats head coach Al Walker stepped down just days ago after getting knocked out of the America East tournament, a Binghamton newspaper named four people to keep an eye on as potential replacements -- and Brian Beaury is on the list.

The Press & Sun Bulletin noted the fact that Beaury and his Division II team beat Division I Binghamton in pre-season games two of the last three years.

From: http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/sports...asp?ArID=206694

What do people know about St. Rose's program and their current coach? I don't know much at all ... . Any chance on St. Rose going Division I in hoops someday?

What do people know about St. Rose's program and their current coach? I don't know much at all ... . Any chance on St. Rose going Division I in hoops someday?

Remember they have to go Division I in all sports if they go in basketball.

Beaury just returned to the bench last week after being out most of the year with health problems. He isn't 100% yet.

St. Rose men's basketball coach Brian Beaury is making headlines in Binghamton. . . . What do people know about St. Rose's program and their current coach? I don't know much at all ... . Any chance on St. Rose going Division I in hoops someday?

The school has just finished a new gymnasium in the last few years. UAlbany played LIU there a couple seasons ago when our gym floor was unfinished. It is still small. I would think St. Rose would have to upgrade their facilities again in order to compete at the D I level.

I don't think Union gives scholarships for hockey. RPI does but I think was grandfathered in with a couple of other schools like Johns Hopkins.

BTW Coach Brown was an assistant under Brian Beaury at St. Rose. Probably would be strange for them to coach against each other if that occasion presents itself.

Division II schools can play up in one sport per gender, except for baskteball and football.

D-III can only play up if they've been grandfathered in.

There are also exceptions if your division doesn't conduct championships in a sport.

Division II schools can play up in one sport per gender, except for baskteball and football.

D-III can only play up if they've been grandfathered in.

There are also exceptions if your division doesn't conduct championships in a sport.

examples: D2 schools: LeMoyne is D1 in baseball......Bellarmine is D1 in Lacrosse, Merrimack and UMass Lowell, and some other D2 schools are D1 in Hockey. two D3 examples in our area are Union and RPI, playing D1 Men's and Women's hockey. Hobart is D3, playing D1 Men's lacrosse. SUNY Cortland was once D1 in Lacrosse. SUNY Oneonta was D1 in Men's Soccer until last season, when they moved back down to D3.

When the Bearcats head coach Al Walker stepped down just days ago after getting knocked out of the America East tournament, a Binghamton newspaper named four people to keep an eye on as potential replacements -- and Brian Beaury is on the list.

The Press & Sun Bulletin noted the fact that Beaury and his Division II team beat Division I Binghamton in pre-season games two of the last three years.

Kind of funny seeing Coach Beaury referred to as the current coach. I belive he has been the coach of St Rose for around 20 years - going back to the mid 80's. He is an excellent coach as our very own Will Brown and Pat Filien can tell you. Will was an assistant in the mid to late 90's and Pat was a star player in the early 90's. There is no way that St. Rose is going to the D1 level. Coach Beaury has been mentioned in regards to a number of jobs over the years including - Siena, Manhattan and St John's. I don't no if he would be interested in Bingo at this point BUT he would be an excellent choice.

Kind of funny seeing Coach Beaury referred to as the current coach. I belive he has been the coach of St Rose for around 20 years - going back to the mid 80's. He is an excellent coach as our very own Will Brown and Pat Filien can tell you. Will was an assistant in the mid to late 90's and Pat was a star player in the early 90's. There is no way that St. Rose is going to the D1 level. Coach Beaury has been mentioned in regards to a number of jobs over the years including - Siena, Manhattan and St John's. I don't no if he would be interested in Bingo at this point BUT he would be an excellent choice.

The press around here (I live near Binghamton) is that they want a coach in place by the Final Four if at all possible.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to start hearing King Rice's name a LOT more in connection to this job. He's a local product, who got a decent write-up in the local sports page week or two before about his getting into coaching.

And while this hasn't exactly been reported on in the press, if Al Walker wanted to go anywhere (and at the press conference on Monday, he apparently said that he wants to lay off coaching for a while.), BU would probably be VERY aggreeable to letting him out of his contract, because, as it stands now, he's a temp in the Athletic Department, making 144k. Supposedly, Walker's preferred next move would be top assitant at a school in one of the "Big 6" confrences (I'm guessing ACC, Big East, SEC, Big 12, Big 10 or Pac 10)

Alright since I'm the only one (to the best of my knowledge) on this board to currently go to St. Rose I can tell you no way would they go D-1. The new gym they built can only hold 1,000, there is no real room to expand to what they would need for a D-1 program after all most of the teams play offcampus. Vollyball, Swimming and Basketball are really the only three on campus sports.

They would probably only send one sport to D-1 my guess that would be Soccer (Women) and Men (Swimming or somthing idk). St. Rose due to its size is perfect for D-2, they get great fan support for there size and I just don't see the benefits for the school of going D-1 (JMHO).

As for Coach Beaury I think Binghamton is just showing some respect to a coach of a D-2 team that defeated them early in the year. I don't know Beaury personally but he has been at CRS for 21 years I doubt he would consider leaving.

Alright since I'm the only one (to the best of my knowledge) on this board to currently go to St. Rose I can tell you no way would they go D-1. The new gym they built can only hold 1,000, there is no real room to expand to what they would need for a D-1 program after all most of the teams play offcampus. Vollyball, Swimming and Basketball are really the only three on campus sports.

They would probably only send one sport to D-1 my guess that would be Soccer (Women) and Men (Swimming or somthing idk). St. Rose due to its size is perfect for D-2, they get great fan support for there size and I just don't see the benefits for the school of going D-1 (JMHO).

As for Coach Beaury I think Binghamton is just showing some respect to a coach of a D-2 team that defeated them early in the year. I don't know Beaury personally but he has been at CRS for 21 years I doubt he would consider leaving.

I have hoped for one of the other schools in the area to go "division I," but I think that hope is fading fast. RPI is attempting to raise $1.4 billion for its new East Campus Athletic Village, but it doesn't look like it's being built to support division I athletics. For those who haven't heard about the new RPI facilities (I just found out last week), to my knowledge, they are building a football (yet multi-purpose) stadium and a basketball arena that will seat roughly 2,000. I guess I have assumed that 2,000 seats for hoops isn't sufficient for Division I, but then again, that really isn't what defines a division I basketball program, is it?

[Though if there was ever an "academic monster" in this area, with the potential to impose its will on others and go division I by way of its endowment, it's RPI, as it's clearly the class of the universities in this area (ranked #42 in the 2007 US News and World Reports: Top Universities; for comparison, Binghamton is SUNY's highest-ranked representative at #86; SUNY ESF at #96; Stonybrook at #98; Buffalo at #120; and UAlbany, not yet ranked in the top 50%, see http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/r...tudoc_brief.php (Bingo ranked ahead of Buffalo? How did THAT happen? But I'm biased ... .)).]

Here is the URL for the RPI athletic project: http://www.rpi.edu/campaign/athletics.html

and the pdf brochure: http://www.rpi.edu/campaign/newsletter/stadium.pdf[/b]

I have hoped for one of the other schools in the area to go "division I," but I think that hope is fading fast. RPI is attempting to raise $1.4 billion for its new East Campus Athletic Village, but it doesn't look like it's being built to support division I athletics. For those who haven't heard about the new RPI facilities (I just found out last week), to my knowledge, they are building a football (yet multi-purpose) stadium and a basketball arena that will seat roughly 2,000. I guess I have assumed that 2,000 seats for hoops isn't sufficient for Division I, but then again, that really isn't what defines a division I basketball program, is it?

[Though if there was ever an "academic monster" in this area, with the potential to impose its will on others and go division I by way of its endowment, it's RPI, as it's clearly the class of the universities in this area (ranked #42 in the 2007 US News and World Reports: Top Universities; for comparison, Binghamton is SUNY's highest-ranked representative at #86; SUNY ESF at #96; Stonybrook at #98; Buffalo at #120; and UAlbany, not yet ranked in the top 50%, see http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/r...tudoc_brief.php (Bingo ranked ahead of Buffalo? How did THAT happen? But I'm biased ... .)).]

Here is the URL for the RPI athletic project: http://www.rpi.edu/campaign/athletics.html

and the pdf brochure: http://www.rpi.edu/campaign/newsletter/stadium.pdf[/b]

RPI is not the class of universities in this area. They like to think they are with their 40 million dollar a year tuition, but that's just students trying to rationalize spending all that money on an education you can get at SUNY for a fraction of the cost.

Archived