UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hoops League?

I am aware of the basketball league on the UAlbany campus for students, see http://www.albany.edu/~athletic/; is there a league for alumni? If not, can anyone point me to a league in the Albany area that one could join? I'm not looking for an ultra-competitive league by any means. Rather, I'm simply looking for a basketball league where I can get some running in, get some good exercise through, and have a good time with (I haven't had great experience with the YMCA leagues; i.e., a foul fest and usually involves 1 on 1 over and over).

Also, is there any interest on this forum for starting a casual pick-up game league (or not so casual, meaning organized teams) on campus? Just looking to play some ball, and any help would be very much appreciated! If there was any interest on this forum for starting a small league or a group of people who play pick-up games, I would be happy to organize such games/league and find gym time on campus (to the extent possible; there are also the outside courts that are presumably available once it's warmer out). I would rather play with UAlbany alum. and fans than have to join a general YMCA league, etc.!

I am very interested. I was actually searching the internet today for any info on local leagues. Not much luck other than the student run league. Would be a fun thing to do. lots of courts outside to play on if UA courts are unavailable. Hopefully some people will show some interest

I am very interested. I was actually searching the internet today for any info on local leagues. Not much luck other than the student run league. Would be a fun thing to do. lots of courts outside to play on if UA courts are unavailable. Hopefully some people will show some interest

There are real nice new hoops installed on campus, with nets and I belive glass backboards (not 100% sure of this) on the way to the CUE from the far parking lot. I think there is a total of like 6 or 8 rims. Looks like the court was also recently paved with all the lines etc. Looks very nice.

I know there's a group of guys who play a full court pickup game at noon in the P.E. gym all the time. As for a league for fun, i'd love to play. The new courts you're talking about (i believe) are by the Dutch parking lot where the last tennis court used to be. They are not glass backboards, but they look like very nice courts (6 of them, i'm almost positive).

*quick edit* They have tons of bball leagues in the Times Union online in the Calander section.

I know there's a group of guys who play a full court pickup game at noon in the P.E. gym all the time. As for a league for fun, i'd love to play. The new courts you're talking about (i believe) are by the Dutch parking lot where the last tennis court used to be. They are not glass backboards, but they look like very nice courts (6 of them, i'm almost positive).

*quick edit* They have tons of bball leagues in the Times Union online in the Calander section.

Yes, they used to be tennis courts, for some reason I thought they were glass obviously not tho. Still very nice, I remember saying, WOW nice courts.

[

I will play as well...

If I can find time between coaching my sons little league team and driving my daughter to and from AAU basketball events I will play.

Who is taking the lead on this?

A weekday night may be the best for everyone in my opiniion but I can adjust my schedule to get some hoops and fun in.

[

I will play as well...

If I can find time between coaching my sons little league team and driving my daughter to and from AAU basketball events I will play.

A weekday night may be the best for everyone in my opiniion but I can adjust my schedule to get some hoops and fun in.

I'll be happy to take the lead on setting something up. I wanted to see what kind of interest was present on this forum before I started to ask around about gym availability simply because I wanted to know what kind of gym time and space we'd need. My personal preference and opinion would be to start something on weekday evenings because that would probably be best for everyone in terms of availability. During the workday probably wouldn't work for non-students (i.e., alumni).

I'm hoping that others on this forum are interested and are just waiting to see what pans out. I think at this point, the viable options we have will be guided by the level of interest, and these options are, but certainly not limited to:

1. Try to form an alumni team and join the student league on campus (if they are open to the idea). I will contact the person who runs that league and see whether an alumni team in the league is a possiblity. I know that one of my other alma maters (Albany Law) has a basketball league on campus, and there are alumni teams in that league along with the student teams, so that's what made me think of this as a possibility. For this option to work, we would only need, at a minimum, 5-7 people to form a team, and it looks like we may have about that much interest already on this forum. This may be our best option at this point, unless we get a stronger showing of interest on this forum.

2. In a few weeks once the snow is gone and it is warmer outside, meet at the outdoor courts by the SEFCU for pick up games. This is the most casual option and would work the best if there is minimal interest. We could also probably play indoors in the old gym, but I'd have to see what the rules are on campus for this and availability of that gym. I know that when I was student at UAlbany, going over to the gym and shooting some baskets was never an issue and easy to do.

3. Move forward on the concept of a league and get some gym time on campus, but to do this, I think we would need enough potential players (i.e., interest) to form a couple or several teams (perhaps 20-30 people)? With a "formal" type of league, I would contact the Alumni Association and see what kind of guidance they could provide. Anytime there is any sort of gathering or event on campus (i.e., a basketball league), there are the normal procedural hurdles to get past and requisite permissions (often times for insurance reasons). This is the most laborious option, and requires the highest level of interest, and I think that at this point, getting an alumni team into the student league might be a better option until we get a couple alumni teams formed so that we could create our own league.

Thoughts?

[

I will play as well...

I'll be happy to take the lead on setting something up. I wanted to see what kind of interest was present on this forum before I started to ask around about gym availability simply because I wanted to know what kind of gym time and space we'd need. My personal preference and opinion would be to start something on weekday evenings because that would probably be best for everyone in terms of availability. During the workday probably wouldn't work for non-students (i.e., alumni).

I'm hoping that others on this forum are interested and are just waiting to see what pans out. I think at this point, the viable options we have will be guided by the level of interest, and these options are, but certainly not limited to:

1. Try to form an alumni team and join the student league on campus (if they are open to the idea). I will contact the person who runs that league and see whether an alumni team in the league is a possiblity. I know that one of my other alma maters (Albany Law) has a basketball league on campus, and there are alumni teams in that league along with the student teams, so that's what made me think of this as a possibility. For this option to work, we would only need, at a minimum, 5-7 people to form a team, and it looks like we may have about that much interest already on this forum. This may be our best option at this point, unless we get a stronger showing of interest on this forum.

2. In a few weeks once the snow is gone and it is warmer outside, meet at the outdoor courts by the SEFCU for pick up games. This is the most casual option and would work the best if there is minimal interest. We could also probably play indoors in the old gym, but I'd have to see what the rules are on campus for this and availability of that gym. I know that when I was student at UAlbany, going over to the gym and shooting some baskets was never an issue and easy to do.

3. Move forward on the concept of a league and get some gym time on campus, but to do this, I think we would need enough potential players (i.e., interest) to form a couple or several teams (perhaps 20-30 people)? With a "formal" type of league, I would contact the Alumni Association and see what kind of guidance they could provide. Anytime there is any sort of gathering or event on campus (i.e., a basketball league), there are the normal procedural hurdles to get past and requisite permissions (often times for insurance reasons). This is the most laborious option, and requires the highest level of interest, and I think that at this point, getting an alumni team into the student league might be a better option until we get a couple alumni teams formed so that we could create our own league.

Thoughts?

sounds like you are dead on with your options and the numbers will dictate.

let us all know what we have to do.

I'm up for any possibility. My only drawback is that I usually don't leave work until between 9-11 p.m. Most of you probably get out at a more normal hour. Other than that, count me in. Just tell me where to show up or how I can help.

I'm up for any possibility. My only drawback is that I usually don't leave work until between 9-11 p.m. Most of you probably get out at a more normal hour. Other than that, count me in. Just tell me where to show up or how I can help.

Sounds good, I'll keep people apprised of what I find out. If there are 5-10 of us who are interested, I'm sure that we can work something out with our schedules.

I am aware of the basketball league on the UAlbany campus for students, see http://www.albany.edu/~athletic/; is there a league for alumni? If not, can anyone point me to a league in the Albany area that one could join? I'm not looking for an ultra-competitive league by any means. Rather, I'm simply looking for a basketball league where I can get some running in, get some good exercise through, and have a good time with (I haven't had great experience with the YMCA leagues; i.e., a foul fest and usually involves 1 on 1 over and over).

Also, is there any interest on this forum for starting a casual pick-up game league (or not so casual, meaning organized teams) on campus? Just looking to play some ball, and any help would be very much appreciated! If there was any interest on this forum for starting a small league or a group of people who play pick-up games, I would be happy to organize such games/league and find gym time on campus (to the extent possible; there are also the outside courts that are presumably available once it's warmer out). I would rather play with UAlbany alum. and fans than have to join a general YMCA league, etc.!

Count me in too. I haven't played in a long while, but I did shoot back when it was warm in January and got excited about playing. The basket was higher than I remembered it, though. ;)

I have a day job and a family, so weekend mornings are best for me, though I could do an evening also. It would be great to start now in a gym somewhere if we have access somewhere. Being out of shape and on the wrong side of 30, here's hoping we start w/half court games!

Peace out,

S$

I'm interested as well. I'll compete with the few of you who worry about being the last guy picked, but it'll probably be fun and a good way to get exercise without it seeming like it.

My schedule is currently pretty busy, but I'd like to be able to make some time. Evenings over the summer (post-May) will be easier for me to make also if whatever is set up lasts that long.

Archived