UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Any thoughts on this quote from the AGS board? It was very vague. Just wondering if there is any weight to this or if this is just some idiot's speculation.

"At Stony Brook, football is full speed ahead. It decided the Northeast Conference and its very limited scholarship restrictions did not work. Its new path includes increasing scholarships. At least it will have conference affiliation and not be a wandering independent. SBU will announce conference plans shortly but don't get too excited--it will not be joining the Big East."

According to the AGS board, the Big South is holding a press conference tomorrow at 2 pm, apparently about expansion.

I dont know...who knows. All is quiet from our beat reporters. Part of me thinks this is good for football...and bad.....no real rivalries.

If we announce we are joining...more power...but i still would like to be in the grouping that comes out fo the CAA/Big East/A-Ten merger/expansion/collision course set for 2011'ish.

I still think no matter what, in the Big South or not, we will be playing Big South teams...SIMPLY FOR RECRUITING!!!!

Its been talked about for the past 4 or 5 months by some Big South guys. It really came to light when Charleston Southern released their 2008 schedule with us on it

Don't get any hopes up...Ford was quoted as saying that we aren't joining the Big South. Priore said that SBU will be part of the press conference, so you know they are in.

Looks like SBU is joining the Big South. I'm guessing we're not.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-s...ports-headlines

I hope UAlbany has some master plan going on behind the sceens. There isn't a lot of visible progress that I see anyway. Looks like SBU is moving forward and positioning themselves for a higher jump after a few years of experience in the Big South. They're leap frogging their way to the top, which seems like the way to do it. At this rate they may be BCS (D-1A) as early as 8 - 10 years. Just my opinion....

Like I said, I hope UAlbany has plans that will make us all happy that they're keeping to themselves.

I wouldn't really care if we don't end up in the Big South. What I would care about it getting out recruited and beat consistently by SBU because they are full scholly and have a wider reach. That, in my opinion, even if temporary, is unacceptable.

I wouldn't really care if we don't end up in the Big South. What I would care about it getting out recruited and beat consistently by SBU because they are full scholly and have a wider reach. That, in my opinion, even if temporary, is unacceptable.

TOTALLY AGREE.

Personally, when I first heard the news I panicked and felt "jilted."

That being said, I have BEEN ANTI THE BIG SOUTH from DAY 1. It is a waste of money...a quick fix...and to be frank...there is NO WAY that an autobid is given to the Big South and not the NEC unless the NCAA votes for the 50 ride/1mm minimum level for 90% of your league to be eligible for an auto bid.

Basically, this move is simply because SBU would have found life as an INDY completely insane.

As for leapfrogging....Stony Brook as a FBS (IA) would be insane...and they cant even get support for sports as is. Additionally, Hofstra would vote us in for CAA inclusion opposed SBU simply for recruiting reasons.

Finally, think about the HUGE $$$ SBU will have to spend by sending 50-55 players plus coaches and support staff to at least 3-4 away games via plane.

I'd rather take THAT MONEY...and endow it for perpetual scholarships so we can get to the level of William and Mary, a school that has 63 perpetually endowed football scholarships.

Looks like SBU is joining the Big South. I'm guessing we're not.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-s...ports-headlines

I hope UAlbany has some master plan going on behind the sceens. There isn't a lot of visible progress that I see anyway. Looks like SBU is moving forward and positioning themselves for a higher jump after a few years of experience in the Big South. They're leap frogging their way to the top, which seems like the way to do it. At this rate they may be BCS (D-1A) as early as 8 - 10 years. Just my opinion....

Like I said, I hope UAlbany has plans that will make us all happy that they're keeping to themselves.

Whoa! In this year alone we have gone from no scholarships at all to half the team being funded. We have also made significant progress in the move to building a stadium. In my opinion, we need to have both in place before we start looking at jumping to another league. It would also help our cause to win a regular season and a championship before we commit to higher.

I have the utmost confidence in McElroy and Ford to draw up a plan for UA football and to do it the right way. I've waited 30 some years to see us progress to this point. I can wait a little longer to take the next couple steps.

Olddog 71 I agree the Captains of this ship will find a place to make port. I still believe that our future is in a league with the likes of Maine and New Hampshire. I also believe that AE football is still being worked on. Stony Brook has chosen a different path. I have said this before but I would much rather have Dr. McElroy leading my athletics program than a Steinbrenner wannabe.

Archived