UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

If Brown Bolts

I say we look at Jeff Ruland to be our new head coach. I was shocked they bought him out. One bad season and a really young team? I always thought he was a good coach in the MAAC.

You must not really know hoops...and that is ok. Jeff Ruland is a not so nice guy in the hoops circles. His kids are academic casualties and he was accused of a recruiting scandal.

He would not even make my Top 50 coaches.

I say we look at Jeff Ruland to be our new head coach. I was shocked they bought him out. One bad season and a really young team? I always thought he was a good coach in the MAAC.

You must not really know hoops...and that is ok. Jeff Ruland is a not so nice guy in the hoops circles. His kids are academic casualties and he was accused of a recruiting scandal.

But, Dane96, you must realize that he coached in the almighty MAAC.

(Please note tongue firmly implanted in cheek.)

Ruland was a thug when he played at Iona, He was a thug when he played for the Bullets and He was a thug when he coached at Iona. We don't need that.

Raise the retirement age to 80 and bring back Doc.

This is a bit off-topic, but sadly, I never saw a game when Doc was here. What was he like? What kind of coach was he, and what style did he have his teams employ on the court? I read a little about him in an old NY Times article that I found online: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...750C0A961958260 (Mar. 11, 1997).

I would imagine that he's got to be so proud of where this program has come and all of his terrific contributions to the program over the years!

If we hired Ruland I think I would light my season tickets on fire outside the CUE.

Seems premature to have this conversation to me.

How is it premature? Coach is talking to another school about taking a new position. I think from the minute he makes an official visit and talks numbers with another school it gives me the right to bring it up. Comes with the territory.

This is a bit off-topic, but sadly, I never saw a game when Doc was here. What was he like? What kind of coach was he, and what style did he have his teams employ on the court? I read a little about him in an old NY Times article that I found online: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...750C0A961958260 (Mar. 11, 1997).

I would imagine that he's got to be so proud of where this program has come and all of his terrific contributions to the program over the years!

Doc...was the man. That guy could have left for greener pastures years and years ago...but stayed. His wife was an amazing lady as well...always supportive...and friendly to players and fans alike.

Doc was a disciplinarian for sure....loved having the ball move around...and got REALLY PISSED OFF when his players didnt move without the ball. In the days without fans at the RACC, you could sense when Doc was getting mad...his arms would cross...he would stand solemn...and then bang...you would here him belt out "MOVE...MOVE...MOVE."

Timeouts...oh...dont think about sitting. I remember in my principles of coaching class he told us something to the effect of: you're tired and want to sit...then the player sits on the bench. Other than that you best be standing in my timeout.

I always find it a shame that Doc didnt get to Coach at the DI level. If he had, in let's say the 80's and early 90's, I think UA would have some good tourney teams.

Doc...was the man. That guy could have left for greener pastures years and years ago...but stayed. His wife was an amazing lady as well...always supportive...and friendly to players and fans alike.

The story that I heard (back in the late 80s when I was on campus) that when UConn went into the Big East in the early 80's, he was the #1 candidate ahead of Calhoun, was offered the job, was going to accept but changed his mind at the last minute. Never was able to document that as fact though.

Apparently he and Jim Boeheim are best friends too (maybe that's why he was UConn's choice).

While I was in school and doing games on WCDB, he took a 1 yr sabbatical - the interim coach was Barry Cavanaugh, who was much more approachable - Doc was certainly serious before games & practices.

Archived