UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It's kind of funny....

Purely from an interest stand point, has it ever been determined why he left? What was it that he and Beeten saw that made them unhappy at Albany? I am just wondering if it had anything to do with a difference of opinion between themselves and the administration as to how they thought the transition process should progress.

At the time he left I think we had an interim Athletic Director (was it Ford then? or Cummings-Danson?). I thought one of the reasons he left was because he probably figured a new AD would want to bring in his own coach. He was near the end of his contract also and Cetnar and Haggerty were graduating. He probably figured things were as good as they were going to get.

Hicks left when we were facing a change in Athletic Director's. Dr. McElroy had not been hired yet and Loyola was offering a multi-year contract. Hicks took the Loyola job thinking that whoever was hired as the UAlbany AD would want their own guy in as head basketball coach. Hicks is from Oneida and his wife is from Troy originally. This move was made for family reasons related to perceived financial stability not for geographical reasons. In the end, I would still put up with all the turmoil if if knew from the start that Will Brown would eventually become the coach. He is by far the best coach Albany has had since the retirement of Doc.

Also, the president of Loyola performed the Hicks' wedding ceremony, so they had a personal relationship there. He probably got a raise as well.

The story as I remember it was that the new prez at Loyola had been Hick's boss at LeMoyne (academic VP or something similar) so they went back a ways together, plus Hicks was coming off a successful transition season bringing UA from D-II to D-I so his stock was on the rise (and FWIW Loyola was committed to "rebuilding").

I think Dane Pound made some good points regarding Hicks departure ... He also had a prior Le Moyne connection that was involved in the hiring process at Loyola. At the time, Hicks probably felt good that he was a "wanted commodity" despite the fact the Albany program wasn't above .500 in his final season there.

Let's also remember that Albany didn't have conference affiliation at that point in time and the America East Conference wasn't even close to being on the radar. McElroy was the guy that sealed the deal when he arrived.

Finally, I think Hicks realized he wouldn't be able to recruit Division I talent without conference affiliation. However, let's realize he only got a raise of mere pennies to jump to Loyola.

Looking back at everything, Hicks would have been better off staying and being patient with the Albany program. But, the question is, would he have lasted with McElroy in the picture???

I think we will all agree that despite the Beeten crisis, we are all happy to have Will Brown onboard!!!!! Things happen for a reason. You have to endure adversity to reach success.