UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Iati

Story in today's TU about Jon Iati. Few Know Siena Better than Iati

"UAlbany and Siena don't keep records on whether any player has participated five times in the series that began in 1940 and was renewed in 2001 after a 24-year hiatus. At the very least, it's extremely unusual because players get only four years of eligibility."

Because of the Capital District Tournament, Albany and Siena played twice a year in '62, '65, '66, '67, '69, '74, '75, and '77, so I'm sure many players were in this matchup five, six, or even seven times.

Frankly, as a long time fan who enjoys the rivalry, I'm more than a little disappointed with Iati's casual, "this is just another game to us." attitude.

May I remind you, young man, when you put on that purple and gold, you're not just putting on a 2007 uniform. You are carrying the the entire Great Dane heritage. Its not only about the 2007-08 basketball team. Its about Minerva and the Bell Tower, about O'Heany's Hurleys, the W.T. and Dirty Vinnie's. Its the ghosts of Rich Margison, Dan Cohen. and Richard (Doc) Sauers. You're playing for the blue collar, bus-riding, peanut butter and jelly kids vs. the plaid pants, car-pooling, cloth napkin, soccer mom private school kids.

Son, when your threes hit the rim and bounce away, there are a few thousand tormented fans in the stands to whom that errant shot really matters. When you get older, and you will, and those cute tattoos will be nothing but unrecognizable smudges, you'll discover that formerly insignificant things become important.

As a fan, winning games and getting back to the NCAA tournament is paramount - and I have traveled many miles to get to both appearances. But beating Siena is not only important to me, its fun. Its an appetizer I can either chew on or choke on until the America East Tournament and beyond, through the summer of 08. Its for bragging rights in a town too small for two sheriffs.

I worry that you enter the game not even pretending to agree that Siena sucks. You piss me off by not even acknowledging that more fans will pull for you in this game than any other, and all from crappy end zone seats - the only ones alloted to your school. Can't you even agree that THAT sucks? I worry that your performance in this game will equal your performance in last year's game, when you sulked at the end of the bench after a non-contributing appearance on the court.

To some of us this is local Yankees-Red Sox, Dodgers-Giants. Even if its just a game to you - how about 'humoring' us by telling the press that this one matters a little more? Allow us to read that there is nothing more satisfying to the team then sending thousands of fans who made the trip home feeling good. 'Just another game' my ass.

John Iati - play well my friend. This is your last rodeo.

Frankly, as a long time fan who enjoys the rivalry, I'm more than a little disappointed with Iati's casual, "this is just another game to us." attitude.

May I remind you, young man, when you put on that purple and gold, you're not just putting on a 2007 uniform. You are carrying the the entire Great Dane heritage. Its not only about the 2007-08 basketball team. Its about Minerva and the Bell Tower, about O'Heany's Hurleys, the W.T. and Dirty Vinnie's. Its the ghosts of Rich Margison, Dan Cohen. and Richard (Doc) Sauers. You're playing for the blue collar, bus-riding, peanut butter and jelly kids vs. the plaid pants, car-pooling, cloth napkin, soccer mom private school kids.

Son, when your threes hit the rim and bounce away, there are a few thousand tormented fans in the stands to whom that errant shot really matters. When you get older, and you will, and those cute tattoos will be nothing but unrecognizable smudges, you'll discover that formerly insignificant things become important.

As a fan, winning games and getting back to the NCAA tournament is paramount - and I have traveled many miles to get to both appearances. But beating Siena is not only important to me, its fun. Its an appetizer I can either chew on or choke on until the America East Tournament and beyond, through the summer of 08. Its for bragging rights in a town too small for two sheriffs.

I worry that you enter the game not even pretending to agree that Siena sucks. You piss me off by not even acknowledging that more fans will pull for you in this game than any other, and all from crappy end zone seats - the only ones alloted to your school. Can't you even agree that THAT sucks? I worry that your performance in this game will equal your performance in last year's game, when you sulked at the end of the bench after a non-contributing appearance on the court.

To some of us this is local Yankees-Red Sox, Dodgers-Giants. Even if its just a game to you - how about 'humoring' us by telling the press that this one matters a little more? Allow us to read that there is nothing more satisfying to the team then sending thousands of fans who made the trip home feeling good. 'Just another game' my ass.

John Iati - play well my friend. This is your last rodeo.

I re-read what I wrote. Maybe it was a bit personal and a bit overbearing. If so, my apologize to anyone offended.

I disagree to a large extent. While beating Siena is important, I think Iati is making the point is that so is every other game and has deferred to the rivarly aspect of the game. However, I think if you ask any player that has been on the team at least 3 years what they are most proud of, I would think beating Siena by 21 3 years ago is down on that list below the 2 ncaa trips. I like that the have bigger things in their sights than 1 game.

Here are all his quotes in the article

"I understand especially what (the rivalry) means to the people around here," Iati said.

"Anything that happens to me this season is just a blessing because I thought my career was going to end on a doctor's table in August," Iati said. "One doctor said, 'There's nothing I can do for you.' I couldn't really use my leg and my back was killing me."

"We want to win every game we play," Iati explained. "To the players, this game isn't any more important than Sacred Heart was. It's another nonconference game. We've got guys from Iowa and Pennsylvania and Texas and I don't know how much they're buying into the Capital Region rivalry."

"The atmosphere makes this a more highly contested game," he said. "Anytime you play a game like that, emotions are going to be running high. But it still goes as one win or one loss."

I hope he has a great game tomorrow -- he's a fan favorite and a classy guy with character. I have noticed that no one has a bigger smile on their face than him when the players come off the court and "high-five" the hands of the children awaiting the players. After 4 of these games, I think he understands what it means to the fans (and, indeed, the players as well), and we all know he'll bring "110%" tomorrow night; that's why we (the fans) love his play and hustle so much!

Again, I apologize. Iati obviously gives 110% and it is always appreciated.

When I was younger the most percent you could give was actually only 100, so I'm even thankful for the new math that allows someone to get to a higher level.

In the short time I've been on this board, this is the funniest thing I've read here.

I like Iati and glad he is able to play. I can't wait for him to get his stroke back and start banging threes. Hopefully it will be Saturday.

When I was younger the most percent you could give was actually only 100, so I'm even thankful for the new math that allows someone to get to a higher level.

In the short time I've been on this board, this is the funniest thing I've read here.

I like Iati and glad he is able to play. I can't wait for him to get his stroke back and start banging threes. Hopefully it will be Saturday.

Keep reading....haggy usually comes up with some funny crap on a regular basis. I hope that didn't come off like I have a mancrush on haggy.....because I DON'T.....!

Keep reading....haggy usually comes up with some funny crap on a regular basis. I hope that didn't come off like I have a mancrush on haggy.....because I DON'T.....!

"mancrush" ... lol, it must have been the "I can't wait for him to get his stroke back and start banging ... ."

(just teasing)

But seriously, I agree -- Haggy usually has something to say that makes me laugh. :D

Frankly, as a long time fan who enjoys the rivalry, I'm more than a little disappointed with Iati's casual, "this is just another game to us." attitude. . . .

Iati is just being PC (politically correct) here. (Will Brown might want some lessons here from him. No, on second thought, don't. The candor is refreshing.) Don't worry, Iati knows the significance better than anyone else on the team.

Story in today's TU about Jon Iati. Few Know Siena Better than Iati

"UAlbany and Siena don't keep records on whether any player has participated five times in the series that began in 1940 and was renewed in 2001 after a 24-year hiatus. At the very least, it's extremely unusual because players get only four years of eligibility."

Because of the Capital District Tournament, Albany and Siena played twice a year in '62, '65, '66, '67, '69, '74, '75, and '77, so I'm sure many players were in this matchup five, six, or even seven times.

Good point, UAalum, about playing Siena multiple times in a year. One factor against playing them very often is the fact that both UA and Siena each had JV games during many of the years that you cite. In fact, the JV game was often the pre-game show. And very seldom did freshmen play on a varsity team.

Archived