UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UNH game thread

Whether or not he is 100% comfortable with the offensive sets, or whether or not he plays the most amazing D in the world, Ambrose should play more. I'm not saying start him or play him the whole game, but he is young and will gain the experience necessary through playing. He can study all he wants in his dorm and practice his butt off, but until you're in the game and executing, that is all talk. We don't have many offensive options, and he sure as hell seems like he would be one of the better ones. Anyone who dumps 24 (the highest they have allowed ALL YEAR) on Duke at Cameron deserves to play more. And if anyone bitches about Ambrose's D then they haven't been watching this team, because the whole team hasn't been strong at all on the defensive end. I don't see anyone benching Iati for his lack of a defensive presence. Granted, Iati gives it 100%, but he's a smaller player who isn't very fast and because of injuries, cant be a defensive force. But when you have a kid in Ambrose who is short of 6'0 and yet seems to be able to score almost at will and outrebound players half a foot plus taller than him, give him some more burn. We NEED some athleticism. This is the least agile/athletic team I have seen in a LONG time.

Ambrose helps us in this regard:

1) We need to get to the line more - he gets to the line and shoots a high %

2) We need to get more open shots - he drives and can kick

3) We need someone's play making ability - he is one of the few who can create their own shot

4) We need easy baskets - he can get us some in transition

5) We need offensive energy - we are very dull at points and the team comes out sleeping. Perhaps the occassional dunk or flash might help a lot.. Give us some swagger and attitude.

My observation - What I don't understand is why one game he will play a ton and then the next play much less? Also, I would like to see him come in and out of the game more often, as oppossed to being inserted randomly stretches which are decently apart. From playing ball myself, I know how hard it can be to get into a rhythm.

And I know, I've just about typed an essay. But at the beginning of the year, Ohio State went through similar problems. They lost their Jamar in Oden, and their Siggers in Conley and were struggling to find an identity and execute. Since then, and as was the case today against the Illini, they are getting their things together once they realized that they have no one else to rely on, and it's up to them to make their destiny.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whether or not he is 100% comfortable with the offensive sets, or whether or not he plays the most amazing D in the world, Ambrose should play more. I'm not saying start him or play him the whole game, but he is young and will gain the experience necessary through playing. He can study all he wants in his dorm and practice his butt off, but until you're in the game and executing, that is all talk. We don't have many offensive options, and he sure as hell seems like he would be one of the better ones. Anyone who dumps 24 (the highest they have allowed ALL YEAR) on Duke at Cameron deserves to play more. And if anyone bitches about Ambrose's D then they haven't been watching this team, because the whole team hasn't been strong at all on the defensive end. I don't see anyone benching Iati for his lack of a defensive presence. Granted, Iati gives it 100%, but he's a smaller player who isn't very fast and because of injuries, cant be a defensive force. But when you have a kid in Ambrose who is short of 6'0 and yet seems to be able to score almost at will and outrebound players half a foot plus taller than him, give him some more burn. We NEED some athleticism. This is the least agile/athletic team I have seen in a LONG time.

3) We need someone's play making ability - he is one of the few who can create their own shot

5) We need offensive energy - we are very dull at points and the team comes out sleeping. Perhaps the occassional dunk or flash might help a lot.. Give us some swagger and attitude.

My observation - What I don't understand is why one game he will play a ton and then the next play much less? Also, I would like to see him come in and out of the game more often, as oppossed to being inserted randomly stretches which are decently apart. From playing ball myself, I know how hard it can be to get into a rhythm.

And I know, I've just about typed an essay. But at the beginning of the year, Ohio State went through similar problems. They lost their Jamar in Oden, and their Siggers in Conley and were struggling to find an identity and execute. Since then, and as was the case today against the Illini, they are getting their things together once they realized that they have no one else to rely on, and it's up to them to make their destiny.

And when you make over 200k a year and you are a 13 or so year head coach at the college level, you too can make those decisions.

YOU PEOPLE ARE COMICAL---Yeah the ones who are armchair coaches right now. YOU THINK WILL DOESNT WANT TO WIN? If Ambrose were capable of taking care of what needed to be taken care of to the point where he could help us win games by playing more the kid would be playing--WILL WANTS TO WIN!

Half, if not more or these armchair types have never played a high level of high school (or coached) ball, let alone college, yet y'all are experts.

Believe me, I dont always agree with Coach, however you guys are ridiculous already-- It sounds like the Siena board.

TAKE STOCK IN WHAT WE HAVE ACHIEVED IN A SHORT TIME...get a beer...and come back and post.

Be negative when it is necessary...but you need to take STOCK in the situation.

And for the record, I can BITCH about Ambrose's D. I have watched nearly every game...and I am coming at you from a coach and former college player's perspective. The kid wouldn't be playing for me either. He is a talent...but one who needs to understand the nuances of college. This isn't an AAU game...and it isn't a game where you say: "HERE KID...take the rock...go nuts." Even Jamar got his ass put on the bench for not playing defense.

YOU DONT LEARN SETS ON THE COURT. THAT $iena SHOULD BE SECOND HAND. What you get by playing is endurance, speed of the game, and physicality.

You wouldnt start (or play) a guy who doesnt know where the hell he is supposed to be.

And when you make over 200k a year and you are a 13 or so year head coach at the college level, you too can make those decisions.

YOU PEOPLE ARE COMICAL---Yeah the ones who are armchair coaches right now. YOU THINK WILL DOESNT WANT TO WIN? If Ambrose were capable of taking care of what needed to be taken care of to the point where he could help us win games by playing more the kid would be playing--WILL WANTS TO WIN!

Half, if not more or these armchair types have never played a high level of high school (or coached) ball, let alone college, yet y'all are experts.

Believe me, I dont always agree with Coach, however you guys are ridiculous already-- It sounds like the Siena board.

TAKE STOCK IN WHAT WE HAVE ACHIEVED IN A SHORT TIME...get a beer...and come back and post.

Be negative when it is necessary...but you need to take STOCK in the situation.

And for the record, I can BITCH about Ambrose's D. I have watched nearly every game...and I am coming at you from a coach and former college player's perspective. The kid wouldn't be playing for me either. He is a talent...but one who needs to understand the nuances of college. This isn't an AAU game...and it isn't a game where you say: "HERE KID...take the rock...go nuts." Even Jamar got his ass put on the bench for not playing defense.

YOU DONT LEARN SETS ON THE COURT. THAT $iena SHOULD BE SECOND HAND. What you get by playing is endurance, speed of the game, and physicality.

You wouldnt start (or play) a guy who doesnt know where the hell he is supposed to be.

What a condescending post! You have no more right to BITCH then anyone else here. For the record, your "all-knowing" posts carry as much/little weight as anyones else's here.

It seems that the "old guard" (even though I've been around for years) loves to makes self gratifying posts to run down the opinions/observations of new peeps. It's a damn shame!

Damn right it was condescending. RE-Read his post where he tells me I havent watched a game all season...and pretty much don't know how to analyze a game.

Stick to your own arguments...give me advice when I ask for it.

Either that...or read the thread instead of an individual post before you dare call someone out when you are not involved.

And quit the old guard $iena. When someone questions game strategy I EXPECT them to know what the Bing they are talking about from a strategy or coaching perspective. ANYONE CAN ARMCHAIR!

This is exactly why WILL, and other coaches I might add...from other schools, can't stand message boards.

Facts are facts- YOU DONT PRODUCE IN PRACTICE...YOU DONT PRODUCE IN GAMES...YOU DONT PLAY...no matter the talent.

Unless you play for Isiah Thomas, of course.

And for the record-- I could care less what you think of my posts. Those that know me...and know the game of basketball know that post was right on the money.

Dane96,

The point you are missing is that this is sports. As a fan, it's your job to analyze the current status of our team, especially if they aren't performing. Obviously WB wants to win. NO one is doubting that. However, something CLEARLY isn't working for the team because we have lost games we flat out shouldn't have. Yes, im sure EVERYONE here trusts him 100%. But at the same time, when things are going wrong, it is NATURAL to question the current state of the team. If not, this message board, and forums alike would have NO traffic on them.

As for your post - If Coach Brown is that "unconfident" in Ambrose and his ability to play the game the right way presently, and know the nuances of the game as well, why would he allow him to play on National TV (in one of our biggest televised games ever) against a perrenial powerhouse for a large portion of the game? How does Turley go from 22 minutes against Iowa St. to being inserted into the starting lineup and playing 10? He has his playing time cut in half. Obviously, Coach must have some insight into these questions and maybe he is mixing and matching and trying to find the right formula - but as a fan these questions stand out and should be posed.

So maybe you should stop being "comical", sit back, have a beer, and realize this is chatter on a message board and no one is being negative - we're all here for the same common goal...

Damn right it was condescending. RE-Read his post where he tells me I havent watched a game all season...and pretty much don't know how to analyze a game.

Stick to your own arguments...give me advice when I ask for it.

Either that...or read the thread instead of an individual post before you dare call someone out when you are not involved.

And quit the old guard $iena. When someone questions game strategy I EXPECT them to know what the Bing they are talking about from a strategy or coaching perspective. ANYONE CAN ARMCHAIR!

This is exactly why WILL, and other coaches I might add...from other schools, can't stand message boards.

Facts are facts- YOU DONT PRODUCE IN PRACTICE...YOU DONT PRODUCE IN GAMES...YOU DONT PLAY...no matter the talent.

Unless you play for Isiah Thomas, of course.

And for the record-- I could care less what you think of my posts. Those that know me...and know the game of basketball know that post was right on the money.

Surprise....surprise....Dane96 is YET AGAIN patting himself on the back to the point of exhaustion. I'll offer advice whether you like it or not, you don't have to read it or except it. You seem to be of the opinion (on every forum you post) that if you scream and pout long enough people will listen. I'm here to tell you that your posts (many of them are full of $iena)....you can chose to except that or not....EDITED: added nothing to the conversation

And you are damn right about the old guard crap.....it's a matter of fact.....when I got here you routinely tried to run me down for my opinions because I didn't suckle on the proverbial jock strap and have a mind/opinion of my own. EDITED: added nothing to the conversation

I trust Will.....not you telling us that you as a coach and player know whats best. Truth be told, I'm trying to figure out what you HAVEN'T done in your life, let's leave it at that.

This will be my last post regarding this.....have a nice evening!

Dane96,

The point you are missing is that this is sports. As a fan, it's your job to analyze the current status of our team, especially if they aren't performing. Obviously WB wants to win. NO one is doubting that. However, something CLEARLY isn't working for the team because we have lost games we flat out shouldn't have. Yes, im sure EVERYONE here trusts him 100%. But at the same time, when things are going wrong, it is NATURAL to question the current state of the team. If not, this message board, and forums alike would have NO traffic on them.

As for your post - If Coach Brown is that "unconfident" in Ambrose and his ability to play the game the right way presently, and know the nuances of the game as well, why would he allow him to play on National TV (in one of our biggest televised games ever) against a perrenial powerhouse for a large portion of the game? How does Turley go from 22 minutes against Iowa St. to being inserted into the starting lineup and playing 10? He has his playing time cut in half. Obviously, Coach must have some insight into these questions and maybe he is mixing and matching and trying to find the right formula - but as a fan these questions stand out and should be posed.

So maybe you should stop being "comical", sit back, have a beer, and realize this is chatter on a message board and no one is being negative - we're all here for the same common goal...

It is "your job to analyze the current status of our team." Ummm, no, it is your job to go to your job and leave the other stuff to professionals. There is a line of bitching about your teams performance and going off on the staff/players- Your post went over that line.

Forgetting that for a moment, and forgetting bozo bosydid for another moment, it is pretty simple why Ambrose played against Duke- HE HAD GOOD PRACTICES. The other, obvious reason, is that he is what you say he is- Our most explosive and athletic player. It is clear that without that we would have been UTTERLY mismatched with DUKE...on TV...something that would have been bad for the program. So, Will played with matches...and didnt get blisters.

He played with fire the following games, and got burnt. Ambrose didnt do what was expected.

For those around the program when we were a $iena team, those days of playing guys like Jamar because we had to are over. Ambrose would have played a ton back then. There was no ability to sit players to let them learn or teach them a lesson.

But most important, for the nth time, is that WE DONT GET PAID TO QUESTION OR COACH THIS TEAM.

This is between the players and coaches. We all know there are issues...but some of you think you have all the answers. If that were the case, we would be undefeated because I am sure Singleias would read the board and give advice to Will who would give it to the players.....etc.

We ARE BETTER THAN SIENA's board...and right now...we are Siena's board.

BOYSDID:

LOL...ok...what haven't I done:

LOOKED YOU IN YOUR FACE...and told you what I think of you and your insanely inept posts.

Now...I have done everything. Thank the lord.

Let me make this simple: I dont know what you do for a living, but imagine people were talking about what you do at a high level. Imagine you pointing out the deficiencies in the post and being told that you have done so because you believe you are omniscient.

Imagine you rolling your eyes at those same people because when you point out the these faults you are told to f off (which, btw, Justdrastik did not do...he/she actually made a valued reply unlike your stupidity).

You just lived my last five minutes.

BOYSDID:

LOL...ok...what haven't I done:

LOOKED YOU IN YOUR FACE...and told you what I think of you and your insanely inept posts.

Now...I have done everything. Thank the lord.

Let me make this simple: I dont know what you do for a living, but imagine people were talking about what you do at a high level. Imagine you pointing out the deficiencies in the post and being told that you have done so because you believe you are omniscient.

Imagine you rolling your eyes at those same people because when you point out the these faults you are told to f off (which, btw, Justdrastik did not do...he/she actually made a valued reply unlike your stupidity).

You just lived my last five minutes.

Edited as it added nothing to the conversation.

Oh vey...this is what happens in down years? Now I am understanding the forum in Loudonville. Yep...according to boysdid...I challenged him to a UFC matchup. :wacko:

Danepound...dont worry buddy...I am done with the thread; Don't want you to have to deal with this nonsense.

For the record-- It isn't screaming and pouting when you point out the reasoning by why a kid would play or not from a differing (read player/coach) perspective. It is, of course, funny to watch someone jump into a reply that wasn't even to his post (ahem...boysdid).

How about this-- Reply with a discourse, like JustDrastik did, on why Tim should be playing more if he isnt doing what is asked of him. Try that on for size.

correct me if im wrong here isn't this a message board? aren't message boards for discussing and posting questions or how you feel a about something? what does it matter what people post. you really think that will brown cares what anyone has to say here. this is what drives me nuts. because someone hasn't coached or played college basketball they are not entitled to post their opinion is complete garbage. what makes this board different from listening to sports talk radio when a caller calls into a radio station and talks about a team. so are you saying they shouldn't call up and express how they feel because they haven't coached or played at a high level. without the armchair qb whats the fun in sports? thats what everyone does. does it bother you that much that their are armchair qb's on this board. sorry buddy, but that is what sports are today and no matter what, everyone is going to be second guessed. nobody has broken any of these rules here so as far as im concerned you can say what ever the hell you want as long as you dont break any of these rules.

-No Profanity. Your mother should have told this already. If she didn’t, I will. This isn’t the place for it.

-Be respectful of your fellow posters. Personal attacks or attacks on the University will not be tolerated. Persisting in attacking other posters will get you suspended or banned from the board.

-Though this is an unofficial board for University at Albany athletics fans, your behavior on the board does reflect in some way on the University. We would ask that you consider this when conducting yourself here.

-Tell a friend about the board. If they go to www.bigpurplefans.com they will be directed to this site.

-Think up a good nickname, register and enjoy the board!

SO ARMCHAIR AWAY EVERYONE THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH IT ALL SPORTS FANS DO IT!

I love this thread. Who gives a rat's ubiles if coaches, Will included, can't stand message boards. In Will's case, like an elected politician, he's living off the public teat - he works for us anyway.

If we're losing every freaking game with the talent we've got, maybe the coaching is to blame. Yes, I know how far we've come and I've loved the ride, and have praised WB for it. But I think he's doing a bad job this year. Admittedly my basketball resume might be inferior to D96 (though anonymity creates false claims, doesn't it D96?) but, my observation skills seem to be superior. Blowing a lead to Boise State might be acceptable, but not the blown leads at St. Bonaventure and NH .

So Ambrose and Turley get more minutes when they practice well and fewer game minutes when they've not practiced well? What kind of b.s. is that? And of course Iati (former ROY and giver of 110%), always practices well, especially on the defensive end, which are reflected in his playing time.

I miss the dreads...bring back Carl Ross please. We need an aggressive defender whose not afraid to shake things up...bring em back, BRING BACK ROSS!! Whoever came up with the expression "you practice like you play" should be shot. Nobody ever does, nobody ever will. You can work hard in practice, or you can work smart in practice. You can't predict how someone will react when the whistle blows...and its not something you can teach in practice.

Ambrose is a gamer, plain and simply. If Will Brown wants to break him like a thoroughbred and show him whose boss and say "my way or the highway" then I'm sure there are a bunch of big schools right down the highway who saw the 24 he dropped against Duke and would love to PLAY him. Basketball is hands on, he's not going to get any better at defending against the Moores, Martin, or Reid...and it's not like we have a pristine record we have to protect anymore. Give him the rock, let him make plays...and let him make his mistakes on defense as we limp through this season...just please beat UVM...I don't care how.

I've always considered the message board an extention of fan chatter that goes on at Sefcu Arena and during away games broadcast at Across the Street Pub. Generally more heated because of the anonymous posting but a lot of the conversations are the same.

If the opinions are misguided or not they demonstrate a passionate or Albany basketball which is a good thing. The same reason the Siena board is funny to read when they are having a bad year. For better or worse (usually worse) their fans are passionate and hate to lose. I hope there is half the heat at Sefcu on Sunday as there has been on this board the past 12 hours.

Oh vey...this is what happens in down years? Now I am understanding the forum in Loudonville. Yep...according to boysdid...I challenged him to a UFC matchup. :wacko:

Danepound...dont worry buddy...I am done with the thread; Don't want you to have to deal with this nonsense.

For the record-- It isn't screaming and pouting when you point out the reasoning by why a kid would play or not from a differing (read player/coach) perspective. It is, of course, funny to watch someone jump into a reply that wasn't even to his post (ahem...boysdid).

How about this-- Reply with a discourse, like JustDrastik did, on why Tim should be playing more if he isnt doing what is asked of him. Try that on for size.

Dane,

A couple of points....

- First, I trust that coach Brown is using Timmy appropriately. We've come to far, and he has to much experience for me to get on him for not playing a player he feels isn't ready to contribute on a consistent basis. Having said that.......you have obviously LOST the ability (if you ever possessed it) to take in differing opinions or accept that not everyones opinion will be entirely in sync with your point of view. EDITED: added nothing to the conversation

- Any dissenting post authored on this board is immediately met with.....arm chair quarterbacks suck, you don't know what your talking about, who are you to question anything that goes on with this program, EDITED: added nothing to the conversation That might be stretching it a bit, but you get my gist. I personally don't care to listen incessantly to how great you are, all I see it is you talking down to people (myself included on a number of occasions) EDITED: added nothing to the conversation. You seem bar none, to be the most intolerant person on this board of dissenting opinions, and thats a freaking shame.

We all love the Danes, and want whats best for the team but there are ways to make your point without appearing to have a very large object lodge in ones rectum. A concept you have yet to master!

I don't necessarily disagree with you assesment of Timmy, his shortcoming etc. I do take umbrage though at your attempt to run the new kids down. This board shouldn't be just a rubber stamp and a pat on the back. Posters should have the right to offer their opinions, no matter how inappropriate or "over the line" YOU deem them to be.

Archived