UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

All-UA Team

I personally have not been a long time fan of UA hoops, this is being my 3rd year following this program. Perhaps some old timers (with all due respect) can rattle off some names and facts about some of the best to ever play at UA.

So I'd like to know....who are your top 5 (one at each position) and 1 reserve.

So...

PG -

SG -

SF -

PF -

C -

Reserve -

I know not all players fit into a clear cut PG or SG role but approximately.

I personally have not been a long time fan of UA hoops, this is being my 3rd year following this program. Perhaps some old timers (with all due respect) can rattle of some names and facts about some of the best to ever play at UA.

So I'd like to know....who are your top 5 (one at each position) and 1 reserve.

So...

PG -

SG -

SF -

PF -

C -

Reserve -

I know not all players fit into a clear cut PG or SG role but approximately.

I started following the team in 93 when I got to school. The best player at that time was Jason Graber. I think Zoellner would be up there for centers and obviously Jamar as well. I'll leave it to the others to make an actual list.

With about 80 something years of history, you would have to make a first and second team. I also think, because of the DIII-DI thing and different sizes and positions, you have to go with G and F instead of SF and PF. I also think it is weird going through the eras...because comparing our DI guys who are clearly different athletes compared to the DIII guys...is tough. Here is my crack. I can go older...but I think these guys are a good rep of the overall era at UA. I also included three reserves. This is 13...the number of scholarships allowed.

G- Brian Lillis; Rich Margison

G- Jamar Wilson; Gary Holway(I think he played guard)

F- Jason Graber; Barry Cavanaugh

F- Andre Duncan; Brent Wilson

C- John Dieckleman; Kirsten Zoellner

Reserve- Will Brand; Adam Ursprung; Todd Cetnar

With about 80 something years of history, you would have to make a first and second team.

I'm trying to do two things....learn a bit about our history and the players that have come through the system and start some walk down memory lane type talk.

My list would be as follows....

Lillis (even though not a true PG but played point forward allot)

Jamar (self explanatory)

Jason Siggers

Brent Willson

Zollner

Lucious Jordan and or Levi

I know thats like going back 3 years....but thats all the history I've been able to accumulate.

I suppose people could take issue with trying to compare today's athletes with athletics of another generation who played Division III basketball, but, for fun, let's throw all that out the window for a second.

I'll throw two names out there right away: Gary Holway ('59) and Jim Oppedisano ('63). Before I give my reasons, I'd like to hear the reaction (if any) from some of the older alumni who may have watched these guys play, etc. (I was born in 1976, so they are before my time of course).

I agree...but it is also why I think we need to go two deep...with at least three reserves. Guys like Duncan, Urpsrung, and Graber would have been good at the DI level as well. In fact, they were dominant at DIII and DII.

Rich Margison - probably the best pre DI UA player. A DIII All American Honorable Mention. Impossible to tell how he'd play on today's team, but at that level, pre-scholarships, I don't think many D-III guys had the same speed and talent that's part of the DI game.

Rich Margison - probably the best pre DI UA player. A DIII All American Honorable Mention. Impossible to tell how he'd play on today's team, but at that level, pre-scholarships, I don't think many D-III guys had the same speed and talent that's part of the DI game.

I believe Jason Graber was a DIII All-American. He had a very similar game and would probably play the same position as Lillis, without the PG duties. Of course I never saw Margison play so I can't compare the two.

I always thought Margison was a small forward (Jack Adams, who refereed the preseason scrimmage, was one of the guards) but I only saw him his senior year. Barry Cavanaugh played the post.

Winston Royal was another good guard, took a year off to play for the Dominican Republic national team.

if I had to make an all UA-team, the top 5 guys, not even caring about position would be the following looking at the stats...

Jamar Wilson, '02-'07

Gary Holway, '55-'59

Don Cohen, '57-'61

Andre Duncan, '94-'98

Garry Murray, '90-'94

Reserve - Dan Croutier, '81-'85

Reserve - Todd Cetnar, '96-'00

Reserve - Jim Oppedisano

I am ready to be ripped...opinions please

Archived