UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA @ Stony Brook

This is just me being a little pessimistic perhaps, however, I'm a little concerned that Brent shot 12 three's, and didn't shoot a single shot below the arc. I'm glad he shot 50% from three, but this does concern me a little. If he's not shooting 50%, then this game is a lot closer. I'd like to see him post a little. Were his shots wide open? I would find it hard to believe that he wold have 12 WIDE open looks - or maybe he did, since he shot 50%?

Any thoughts?

They played zone D for most of the game. To beat the zone (one way if you are not attacking the gaps) is to shoot the three ball. Brent did his job. I see no problem with it.

They dared us to do it...and they got spanked because of it.

BTW, I saw NU-Drexel live yesterday-- Drexel is terrible...but my lord...a probable .500 NU team would kick the crap out of us. The basketball in the CAA IS better than the AE...by far....and the athletes are just sick. Everyone is long and athletic...and against our trees, they would just flex us to death.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is just me being a little pessimistic perhaps, however, I'm a little concerned that Brent shot 12 three's, and didn't shoot a single shot below the arc. I'm glad he shot 50% from three, but this does concern me a little. If he's not shooting 50%, then this game is a lot closer. I'd like to see him post a little. Were his shots wide open? I would find it hard to believe that he wold have 12 WIDE open looks - or maybe he did, since he shot 50%?

Any thoughts?

They played zone D for most of the game. To beat the zone (one way if you are not attacking the gaps) is to shoot the three ball. Brent did his job. I see no problem with it.

They dared us to do it...and they got spanked because of it.

BTW, I saw NU-Drexel live yesterday-- Drexel is terrible...but my lord...a probable .500 NU team would kick the crap out of us. The basketball in the CAA IS better than the AE...by far....and the athletes are just sick. Everyone is long and athletic...and against our trees, they would just flex us to death.

And Delaware is 4-0 in the CAA, and just beat pre-season favorite and #5 Mid-major ranked George Mason.

I didn't realize they were playing zone - somewhat makes sense. However, NOT a single shot below the arc? I'd even be concerned with Mark Price. In my eyes, it makes it seem as though Brent wasn't down low at all and we are very lucky that SB isn't that good/he hit his shots. A win is a win, no matter by how much or by how little, I'm just saying theres room for concern in the future. I'd like to win games because we are playing damn well - not because the other team is just that subpar. Overly joyed by Jerel and his game once again. 11 pts and 9 boards on 50% shooting.

I didn't realize they were playing zone - somewhat makes sense. However, NOT a single shot below the arc? I'd even be concerned with Mark Price. In my eyes, it makes it seem as though Brent wasn't down low at all and we are very lucky that SB isn't that good/he hit his shots. A win is a win, no matter by how much or by how little, I'm just saying theres room for concern in the future. I'd like to win games because we are playing damn well - not because the other team is just that subpar. Overly joyed by Jerel and his game once again. 11 pts and 9 boards on 50% shooting.

Oy....

THE KID IS AN OUTSIDE SHOOTER...period. So what if he was two feet in the arc or not. Brent will work about 3-4 low post moves a game...and that is n increase in the past. He has been doing that all season...and even taking some shots.

This is the problem I have with people posting the same complaints AFTER given information-- y'all find another reason to substantiate the complaint that was warranted because it was the opinion you are entitled to, however was off to begin with because you didnt have all the facts at your disposal.

But to further answer your complaint, BRENT WILL NEVER BE A LOW POST PLAYER...and whatever he gives us in his Senior Year down there is a bonus. Truth be told, without watching the game you: A) don't know if we needed Brent down low in this game; and B) don't know if Brent went down low and passed out of the collapsing D to an open Iati or a slashing player.

Fact is, Brent HAS DONE BOTH A & B THIS SEASON.

I am sure if Will thought that Brent played poorly by not executing a game plan down low...we would have heard about it. Fact is, Will said, before the game--as did the players-- that SBU was going to dare us to shoot...and shoot we did.

People need to stop complaining about EVERY LITTLE detail and just go with it.

It was great to go to the game last night. Here is my summary. Hope it's informative.

First, there were a lot of UA fans there making noise. Three guys showed up in full purple and gold costumes and were doing pushups for every three that we made. It was fun and created some good energy within the UA crowd. One of my friends did some research to find out that Rickey Lucas was the leading scorer for SB and he let him have the whole game, screaming RICKEY everytime he got the ball. Pretty funny heckling. Could it be that was the reason for Rickey's 6-18 shooting night? Also, at the end of the game there was a LOUD UA chant going for the last minute of the game. That must've felt good for the team to hear on the road. Really fun night!

As for the team, I think they played very well in the first half and then sputtered a little in the second half. I kept telling my buddies that SB would make a run and we needed to be up by enough so when they make their run we don't lose the lead and that was the case.

I think our defense was VERY good in the game, especially Hastings, Lillis and Gifford were tight on their man the whole night. Hastings looks a lot more comfortable on both sides of the court playing within the team. I thought Lillis played a very good game as well, except for his turnovers (I think he had 6). He was driving to the hoop and getting the foul or the basket. This is something we didn't see from him during the road losing streak. He threw the ball away two times trying to make a play and once just trying to pass to Tim on the wing and hit Coach Brown, he wasn't happy about that pass. Brent Wilson had a very nice night as well, his stroke looked smoother than I've seen. SB plays a very tough zone defense and most of the open shots are from behind the arc. He did exactly what he needed to do and what the defense gave him.

One thing I noticed that you can't see with the online broadcasts is what happens on the bench during timeouts or after a substitution. If a player makes a bad mistake, he is pulled immediately and talked to by Coach Brown on the bench. It happened twice with Tim Ambrose, once with Turley, once with Giff and once with Lillis after a very bad pass down the court for no reason at all. Also, during one of the time outs in the second half the entire coaching staff stood by the foul line while Brent Wilson led the huddle.

Overall, it was a really fun night and I will make the trip every year. I think this team is coming together more now that the seniors are taking over.

Would you just zip it?

What is more tiring - my DISCUSSION about the game or you're ENDLESS critiquing of EVERYONE'S comments/posts. I'm a fan, I like talking about the team. I'm thrilled with the win, but like anything else you need to examine what we did right, what we did wrong, and what might not work going forward, regardless of how it was for that particular game- I'm allowed to comment on anything I want on this board. If you don't like my posts, DON'T READ THEM. SKIP OVER THEM.

Contrary to your belief Dr. Basketball,

I understand the way the game works and how SHOOTING breaks a zone defense - I didn't need you to point that out to me. Once again, I know that Brent is an outside shooter - but I also know this year that we have become 3 point happy and pass the ball around uptop for a solid 20-25 seconds only to chuck an unwarranted 3. I personally think we are a better team when we aren't predominantly shooting 3's - because a) no one was hitting them this year and B) it allows us to play a little more uptempo. Up until this game, has Brent had a real STANDOUT game, 3 pt. wise?

Since you are such a know-it-all, what is the team 's 3 pt % for the year? I'm trying to say that we caught a break in him shooting 50% from 3 pt. land, which NO ONE EVER DOES, and he hasn't done all year . And if we play a better team (obviously SB is the worst in the AE), this might catch up to us.

WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO COMPREHEND?

Dude-- you didnt listen to the game, watch the game, or even listen to the pre-game; IF YOU DID YOU WOULD KNOW OUR GAME PLAN WAS TO BOMB AWAY.

You had no clue they were playing zone...and we knew it...and this was our game plan (bombing away). Yet, you post a complaint.

I THINK YOU-- THE ONE WHO CLEARLY DIDNT KNOW WHAT WAS UP-- SHOULD BE ZIPPING IT UNTIL YOU TAKE AN INTEREST ENOUGH TO ANALYZE PUBLIC COMMENTARY TO THE GAMEPLAN.

BTW, you are so predictable that I knew you would say that my bitching about you was as tiring as your CONSTANT MISINFORMED COMMENTS.

It isn't being a know it all when you use PUBLIC INFORMATION to combat constant MISINFORMATION.

And for the record, this is not attacking a NEW POSTER as it has been claimed before.

Oy....

THE KID IS AN OUTSIDE SHOOTER...period. So what if he was two feet in the arc or not. Brent will work about 3-4 low post moves a game...and that is n increase in the past. He has been doing that all season...and even taking some shots.

This is the problem I have with people posting the same complaints AFTER given information-- y'all find another reason to substantiate the complaint that was warranted because it was the opinion you are entitled to, however was off to begin with because you didnt have all the facts at your disposal.

But to further answer your complaint, BRENT WILL NEVER BE A LOW POST PLAYER...and whatever he gives us in his Senior Year down there is a bonus. Truth be told, without watching the game you: A) don't know if we needed Brent down low in this game; and B) don't know if Brent went down low and passed out of the collapsing D to an open Iati or a slashing player.

Fact is, Brent HAS DONE BOTH A & B THIS SEASON.

I am sure if Will thought that Brent played poorly by not executing a game plan down low...we would have heard about it. Fact is, Will said, before the game--as did the players-- that SBU was going to dare us to shoot...and shoot we did.

People need to stop complaining about EVERY LITTLE detail and just go with it.

A ) There was no room down low. Iati, Lillis, Hastings, Brent all played mostly behind the arc, except for Lillis who was cutting and slashing to the open middle of the zone or driving the baseline. Connelly and whoever was at center were down low. Connelly also worked the middle of the zone which seemed to be open all the time and he hit some nice short range jumpers from there.

B ) Didn't happen this game. He stayed behind the arc for most, if not all of the game and was looking for the three ball. 50% from 3 is awesome!

Anyone know if classes started back up at Albany? I'm thinking that might be one of the reasons for the strong showing since there seemed to be a good group of students there who probably live in Long Island but go to UA and are still on break. I know Will Brown and Tim Ambrose are from the area and their group was in the first few rows behind the bench.

Just my opinion - Brent and Jon are two very respected three point threats in the AE by keeping them in the game at the same time and spreading them out deep you stretch the zone and allow Connelly to get decent looks, create space for Jerel and allow Lillis to have seams to attack.

Because of this - we shot 14/26 inside the arc and went to the foul line 36 times on the road. If you take away the 10 or so FTs in the last 3 minutes we still got to the FT line 20+ times against a zone.

Against most man to man teams Coach Brown has stated he would prefer taking less threes around 12 or so and I'm sure you will see Brent posting up 5 or 6 times a game.

Now to specifically answer your question, we have:

Team:

-average 17.9 attempts a game, making 32.1% in 2007-8

-averaged 18.4 attempts a game, making 37.4% in our 2006-7 Championship season.

-averaged 18.4 attempts a game, making 37.9% in our 2005-6 Championship season.

Brent Wilson:

-Brent Wilson has shot 5.93 threes a game, making 39.3% of those.

-Brent Wilson shot 4.9 threes a game, making 43% of those in our 2006-7 Championship season

-Brent Wilson shot 4.84 threes a game, making 36% of those in our 2005-6 Championship season.

Clearly Brent has changed his game...and it may hurt us because he has shot a WHOPPING ONE MORE THREE A GAME THAN HIS PREVIOUS TWO YEARS!!!!!

Clearly Brent's 39.3% clip is HORRIBLE compared to his oh....39.5% average for the past three years.

Clearly the Danes are just doing it wrong, shooting one less three a game than in our Championship years for a WOW...5% dip....we might just lose the season.

I mean come on now...

Just my opinion - Brent and Jon are two very respected three point threats in the AE by keeping them in the game at the same time and spreading them out deep you stretch the zone and allow Connelly to get decent looks, create space for Jerel and allow Lillis to have seams to attack.

Because of this - we shot 14/26 inside the arc and went to the foul line 36 times on the road. If you take away the 10 or so FTs in the last 3 minutes we still got to the FT line 20+ times against a zone.

Against most man to man teams Coach Brown has stated he would prefer taking less threes around 12 or so and I'm sure you will see Brent posting up 5 or 6 times a game.

Patch, don't quote facts...they don't work for some on this board. I think people need to watch more of plays development, like Brent's post up game, rather than ball movement and finality (the shot). Like was stated earlier, Connelly's curl to the 15 foot elbows and foul line for easy shots-- all created by our our guys who shoot the three!

Let's see if the stats, which he called me out on...but I went further and did a comparison, work.

D96,

Are you a 13 year old girl? "OMG YOU ARE LIKE SO PREDICTABLE?"

I'm just mentioning that you seem to be enthralled by attacking posters - the first thing you write is always how people should stop posing this and that. Maybe you are the predictable one.

You're wrong - I did listen to the game - my feed kept cutting out though so there were a few minutes here or there I missed. I understand our plan is to bomb away. I'm just saying that 50% of our field goals were on 3's. We are lucky to have had Brent hit 50%. You wouldn't consider 50% from three, either a little bit of luck or out of the norm for ANYONE? If you can't see that, you are genetically inferior - I don't know what to tell you.

Aside from Brent, we shot 3-10 from 3. 30%. So if Brent has an off night, 50% of OUR TOTAL POSSESSIONS are on lower percentage shots, and we aren't hitting many. Can you not see that?

In the second half, from behind the arc, we shot 25% 3 for 12. LUCKILY, by this point we had already established a good lead - if not, if we shot like that, we will lose against most other teams. Luckily, SB is in the crapper.

We shot 9-20 from the field in the second half, including 3-12 from 3. This means we were 6-8 shooting (75%) if you don't count threes. Obviously, the zone wasn't bothering us TOO much if we were shooting 75% from the field in front of the arc. SO, I would assume you can understand why I think that shooting 3's consistently or making it the pivotal part of our game won't work in the long haul, because most people on our team can't shoot the 3. You wanted analysis.

There are the numbers - they don't lie. We have more athleticism than in the past, and can afford to not rely on the 3.

Go to the above posts read the stats compare that to this season and last...and the one before...WE ARE ON PACE!

And I would argue we were SUPPOSED to be more athletic than the past...but we are CLEARLY NOT. Athletic teams have been beating the snot out of us.

Archived