UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA @ Stony Brook

While we are shooting the same # of 3's a game (granted, we had better shooters, because our 2 best 3 pt shooters in Iati and Wilson were on those teams plus Jamar and Jason, Lucious etc), I would bet almost anything, that we have FAR less field goal opportunities this year on average and we are shooting a lower %. We are shooting 32% this year versus 37% the last 2 years. As I'm at work and am slacking by even being on this site, I don't have the time to research the attempts. However, the same # of 3's, with MANY less field goal attempts, indicates that the 3 pt' game has a more important role in our game. If this was researched, it might prove my point. Also, you CAN'T POSSIBLY argue that we should shoot the same amount of 3's with worse 3 point shooting teams. Right? If Coach loved the amount of 3's we were taking, he wouldn't make a point to emphasize drills where you can't shoot the 3 point shot so much, as he was quoted in saying recently. Plus, we didn't get to the line much prior, and shooting 3's never helps.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The numbers do not back up your theory...at all:

First, our FGA have steadily increased from 05-08. We are up this year.

Second, our FTA are right at the average...but shooting below average.

Third, Doc Sauers didnt let players shoot in practice--AT ALL-- a majority of the time...so the three pt shot not being shot in a practice really means nothing.

Fourth, we have two guys on pace to shoot the same threes that were shot LAST YEAR...and the year before that-- IATI and Wilson. In 06-07, both Wilson and Siggers shot 3.5 and 4.4 shots per game respectively, making 39% and 31% respectively. Jason's numbers were not great. This year, Josh Martin is shooting 2.96 per game, nailing 34.3 percent.

So, in actuality...we have not added more guys shooting threes because Martin is the only one putting up threes like Jamar and Jason...and he is FAR BELOW BOTH THEIR ATTEMPTS...but he is hitting nearly the same average as them.

Our top shooters from years past...are slightly down.

So again, the numbers do not support your theory. Now, from 05-06...we have a different story...because Jordan would be more comparable (with a better pct.) to Martin.

2007-8 FGA 56.2 per game for 43.4%

2006-7 FGA 53.4 per game for 45.3%

2005-6 FGA 51.8 per game for 44.8%

2007-8 FTA 19.2 per game for 69.1%

2006-7 FTA 17.5 per game for 72.2%

2005-6 FTA 21.3 per game for 71%

Jamar Wilson 39% from three in 2006-7

Jamar Wilson 36% from three in 2006-7

Jason Siggers 31% from three in 2006-7

Jason Siggers 41% from three in 2005-6 (ONLY TOOK 51)

Lucious Jordan 46% from three in 2005-6 (ONLY TOOK 65)

I may be the only one, but does anyone else feel like we were all nicer to each other a few short years ago when the team was, to put it gently, less successful? There is a way to disagree and be polite about it, I reckon. :unsure:

Interesting discussions, though.

Peace be upon us,

S€

S-Money-- I agree.

My major problem, and always has been, is just stating a point to make it...and it rips the team and coaching staff. A bigger issue to me is when this is done without researching or without foundation.

It is a constant that has occurred in the past few years...and with more regularity. For those who follow the Siena board or the CAA Zone, it has been a constant there as well...and met with contention by many.

Of course, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I don't however listen to a stockbroker when I need help with my plumbing.

D96,

All I've been asking for (and you finally did it) is if you disagree with me, provide some form of evidence/argument, rather than initiating the argument, by complaining about my posts/everything. I'm here to chat, post, and get others opinions etc. If you prove me wrong on something, I have no problem admitting I'm wrong - as I will in this case, because the numbers show otherwise. One thing I will say though, as a last effort rebuttal is that, those numbers are averages and not evident by whath appens on a game to game basis. Keeping this in mind, remember that we had 2 games in particular where we shot barely any free throws, and another game where we shot NONE. That should never be. Maybe I'm skewed by the "lack of good shots/abundance of forced shots" and that makes it seem as though we are shooting the ball a lot more from there, than we really are.

Interesting debate centered on the Three ball......

We shot 9-20 from the field in the second half, including 3-12 from 3. This means we were 6-8 shooting (75%) if you don't count threes. Obviously, the zone wasn't bothering us TOO much if we were shooting 75% from the field in front of the arc. SO, I would assume you can understand why I think that shooting 3's consistently or making it the pivotal part of our game won't work in the long haul, because most people on our team can't shoot the 3. You wanted analysis.

There are the numbers - they don't lie. We have more athleticism than in the past, and can afford to not rely on the 3. - JustDrastik

In my opinion most basketball fans just over simplify the game. To me it is very complex.

Again just my opinion........

1st off we are not a strong back to the basket offensive team.

Throwing the ball down low isn't always the answer our 5 men have scored 60 pts and committed 46 turnovers

2nd we have been a poor three point shooting team so far.

As a team we are shooting 32 % not counting the 2 Brian's cumulative 6 of 32 we're up to 34%

The 2 Brian's have taken a total of 3 threes in our last 2 wins.

We are more selective with who is taking three.

3rd we donot have the Jamar type attack guy

By spreading the court Lillis has been afforded more space to attack the hoop in a different way the Jamar

Result Lillis has scored 48 pts in our 2 wins none from outside 15'

4th we even struggle from the FT line

By spreading and penetrating we have gone to the FT Line 64 times the last 2 game

Still not shooting a tremendous percentage but somewhat making up for it in volume

5th we are not overall a good passing team

We are struggling passing the ball at times but we do have a commendable 32 assists total for our last 2 games

6th we've been in almost every game.

We've won our last 2 maybe this team is figuring out how it has to play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I read that coach wants to limit our threes to 12 or so a game but I think against teams like Stony Brook and Hartford who play predominantly zone the number of threes must increase, it seems to me more a matter of who is taking them and are they good looks.

If you live by the three you won't be going to the FT line very often so I think a good judge might be how often do we get to the stripe, regardless of wher our shots are coming from.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JustDrastik mentioned our 3 for 12 second half from three which is dismal but I wonder was our 6 of 8 inside the arc a result of it. 9 of 20 is a solid 45%. In the second half scoring 38 points off 20 shots is extremely efficient.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also it's easy to say when your up 20 lets win by 40, but the bottom line on the road is lets take care of business and secure the "W". Therefore it may be imperative to pass up some early decent looks run some clock maybe 25 seconds per posession and walk out with a road win.

A "W" is a "W" is a "W" they all become pretty "Ws" at the end of the year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again my opinion is we have to do what's necessary to win on a game to game basis. As long as good shooters are taking the best shots for them we'll be OK. Shot selection is what counts not shot types.

D96,

All I've been asking for (and you finally did it) is if you disagree with me, provide some form of evidence/argument, rather than initiating the argument, by complaining about my posts/everything. I'm here to chat, post, and get others opinions etc. If you prove me wrong on something, I have no problem admitting I'm wrong - as I will in this case, because the numbers show otherwise. One thing I will say though, as a last effort rebuttal is that, those numbers are averages and not evident by whath appens on a game to game basis. Keeping this in mind, remember that we had 2 games in particular where we shot barely any free throws, and another game where we shot NONE. That should never be. Maybe I'm skewed by the "lack of good shots/abundance of forced shots" and that makes it seem as though we are shooting the ball a lot more from there, than we really are.

Agreed about the FT's...but those occurred the year before as well. That is part of a season. We don't expect to get to the lines against some teams...and that skews it. Sometimes we are victims of the home job. But believe me, I agree that sometimes we dont attack much and rely on guys standing around. That is a hangover from the "let Jamar and Jason create" days.

I think, and it is just my opinion, that Will probably means that he expected this group to attack more...especially Jerel. I can say it now...I was really down on Jerel. I was talking about it with DP after Siena...and last night with my friend at NU. He reminded me (and I did forget) that it takes JUCO's a legit half-year to do anything. Low and behold...Jerel has busted out right at the right time-- Half a year.

Jerel...getting to the line more...will help every thing-- It means he is attacking...something I think we miss in Siggers more than Jamar.

D96,

I think the point you are misunderstanding is that I'm not ripping the team. I'm thrilled with the win.

Let me give you an example:

I'm a die-hard yankee fan. Throughout this year, they consistently were a power hitting team (you can use the 3 point analogy if you would like), and moreso in the past few years even. And while there were some games they would win with the longball, hitting 4 or 5 homeruns a game (and ofcourse I would be happy), there were times when I felt that they needed to stop swining for the fences and get more contact hits, as oppossed to homeruns. When the team isn't getting the homerun, they struggled to make offense at times, or would score in large sums and then struggle against mediocre pitching. This was/has been my critique of the team, because inevitably there are periods when your offense will struggle, and it has happened to the Yankees every playoff series recently. And so, while I am overly enthusiastic with a win where we came out of the gate and gave it to them, I also have a sense of concern for the future. I've seen Albany play well, but I've also seen them play pretty bad, and my point is that you can't rely on 3 pt. shooting to a large degree, because like the homerun, it can be a hot and cold thing (look at the second half of yesterday). That was the initial point I was saying. I'm not trying to "hate" on Brent or anyone else - I love this team, but just point out either an area of concern, or somewhere I think we could improve.

These aren't whiny posts, or anti-UA sentiments.

We won last night right? Just checking because I wasn't sure after reading this thread :D

If there's something I was surprised about last night it's that after 3 or 4 years in the conference and 6 or more games against Albany Pikiell would let Brent get open to shoot 3s on the perimeter. I thought those days were over after the OOC games ended.

I don't however listen to a stockbroker when I need help with my plumbing.

Thank you. If I come away with anything from this thread, it will be to stop asking my financial adviser to cure my incontinence.

About the game - I love the win, but I still think we played sloppy ball in the second half. D96 - if you don't agree with that, please don't pepper me with sloppy play stats.

Oh no...I do agree that we played sloppy. In fact, there are maybe two games we can point to all year that we played a full 40 minutes at a high level. Bad habits bite ya...and it could have against SBU.

The team has a sense of urgency (FINALLY) but seemed to fall back to our old ways in the second half. I was pissed off as hell when I kept checking the score.

I think an impt thing is that Jerel finally gets it...and is becoming more aggressive. It would be great if he could work his way into a leadership role because as a new guy with experience, maybe he can relate to our young guys?!?!

We won last night right? Just checking because I wasn't sure after reading this thread :D

If there's something I was surprised about last night it's that after 3 or 4 years in the conference and 6 or more games against Albany Pikiell would let Brent get open to shoot 3s on the perimeter. I thought those days were over after the OOC games ended.

LOL...Pikiel is not exactly a rocket scientist. 17 wins in three seasons is pretty much the weak link of the "EVIL EMPIRE."

DP - in the first half we moved the ball with a purpose and made the extra pass and got some great looks.

And YEAH I THINK WE DID WIN!!!!!! Somehow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A college buddie of mine works at Newsday and told me that it just kills the SBU Administration to lose to us.

Coming off their big win over Maine they thought we would be ripe for the picking.

It must $uck to be them!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also heard that they are going to renovate their Arena next year (millions of $ worth) and will play their games in the old gym.

What are we doing wrong ????

Archived