UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA vs SBU

I really like Martin. Good head and great skills. Brent was 1 for 11 but I didn't see him force any of those 11 and against a zone that is what you do!! On another note: Sat with 5 people at the Ferocious Feast--two from Albany, 3 from 60 miles South. It was there first Feast and Growl and they were having a great time!! I agree that the wave doesn't belong in a basketball arena but the students so seldom attend games, how do they know. IT WAS REAL NICE TO SEE THE STUDENTS AT THE GAME THOUGH. I HOPE THEY REALIZE THERE IS A WORLD OUTSIDE THEIR DORM ROOM. Sorry--I guess I'm just an oldtimer.

its tough to coordinate the Defense chant...because of simple physics...the speed of sound. The one student section doesn't hear the other student section saying it until a split second later....and they think they're on cue...but they are delayed. So when you're sitting in the middle, you think it sounds off...but both student sections think it sounds accurate.
Sorry, the court is only 94 feet long, sound travels at 1100 feet/second, so the time lag should be unnoticeable at less than 1/10 second. Unless sound travels slower in the RACC than any other place on the face of the earth. (Thanks Cousin Vinnie)

(olddog71 @ Feb 2 2008, 09:19 PM)

Now we are 2-3 versus SBU this season. The only bad game was out in Olean.

??

I think he means two out of three vs. SBU

that less than 1/10th of a second is more than enough. I can't expect you to understand, you probably lost your hearing a long time ago. B)

Great time Saturday night!

I. On the Students!

As has been already stated, I hope that the day is soon where that many students (or close to that many) come to the games on a regular basis! I think if student turnout was like Saturday more often, the adult fans and members of the community at large would be even more interested in coming, and sellouts would be much more of a frequent thing! If we could somehow get 1,000 students to show up for every home game during the semester, it would radically change SEFCU and make it that toughest place to play in the America East, which is what Coach has been talking about as most of us here already know. The students unquestionably bring electricity to the SEFCU and make our home court a challenging place to play for opponents. Our team usually reacts accordingly with solid defense and intense game play.

II. On the Game

Perhaps it was Stonybrook, but our players just seemed sharper, quicker, and worked better as a team than I have seen this season to date. Josh Martin looked awesome; he's a future all-conference player at the point guard position in my view. Certain judgment mistakes like dribbling into traffic will erode with time and experience. I enjoyed seeing Ambrose get the start on Saturday too. The sky is the limit for him, I think. But I think the player who is perhaps going "under the radar" somewhat is Al Turley. I was glad to see him start the other night, and I hope we feed him the ball in the post more and more. He's another player who I think will average double digits in points down the road from the low post. I'm really glad to see the younger guys get more and more comfortable out there. They are exciting to watch!

During one particular sequence, where we got like 3 or 4 offensive board leading to Jon eventually nailing a 3 pointer. Someone from 3 rows back, passed a message down to me to "sit down" because they couldn't see the action on the court.

I couldn't believe it....I wanted to tell that person, NOOOO....how about you get up off your arse! I looked back there and couldn't see anyone disabled (would have been a reasonable request) and everyone in that general vicinity walked out of the arena on their own volition. Someone just to laze to stand up, most likely. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Great time Saturday night!

I. On the Students!

As has been already stated, I hope that the day is soon where that many students (or close to that many) come to the games on a regular basis! I think if student turnout was like Saturday more often, the adult fans and members of the community at large would be even more interested in coming, and sellouts would be much more of a frequent thing! If we could somehow get 1,000 students to show up for every home game during the semester, it would radically change SEFCU and make it that toughest place to play in the America East, which is what Coach has been talking about as most of us here already know. The students unquestionably bring electricity to the SEFCU and make our home court a challenging place to play for opponents. Our team usually reacts accordingly with solid defense and intense game play.

II. On the Game

Perhaps it was Stonybrook, but our players just seemed sharper, quicker, and worked better as a team than I have seen this season to date. Josh Martin looked awesome; he's a future all-conference player at the point guard position in my view. Certain judgment mistakes like dribbling into traffic will erode with time and experience. I enjoyed seeing Ambrose get the start on Saturday too. The sky is the limit for him, I think. But I think the player who is perhaps going "under the radar" somewhat is Al Turley. I was glad to see him start the other night, and I hope we feed him the ball in the post more and more. He's another player who I think will average double digits in points down the road from the low post. I'm really glad to see the younger guys get more and more comfortable out there. They are exciting to watch!

Speaking of Turley, I liked that at one point he was screaming for the ball when matched up one on one with a SB defender. I don't think he got anything out of the possession but it's nice to see the confidence.

During one particular sequence, where we got like 3 or 4 offensive board leading to Jon eventually nailing a 3 pointer. Someone from 3 rows back, passed a message down to me to "sit down" because they couldn't see the action on the court.

... Has this ever happened to anyone?

Not at the RACC, but I heard it happen at UVM - by an Albany fan, no less

that less than 1/10th of a second is more than enough. I can't expect you to understand, you probably lost your hearing a long time ago.

More than enough for what? I would expect YOU to understand how short of a time 0.09 seconds is, and my hearing is fine - good enough to hear the cheers actually overlapping.

That cheer has been done correctly before, just not Saturday night

I couldn't believe it....I wanted to tell that person, NOOOO....how about you get up off your arse! I looked back there and couldn't see anyone disabled (would have been a reasonable request) and everyone in that general vicinity walked out of the arena on their own volition. Someone just to laze to stand up, most likely. Has this ever happened to anyone?

A few Albany fans (and a few UVM fans) at the AE Championship Tourney in Boston last year were crying to no end about the students and Albany fans standing up in the beginning of the game. I understand they paid for a ticket too, but c'mon ... it's a college basketball game!

Some older UA fans complained of the same thing at the UVM game last March, but they were forced to stand the entire game (except for halftime and time-outs, I think) simply because of the intensity of that game! And I truly believe we helped our team win that day with our standing the entire game and cheering. I was in awe with the fan support of the mighty 600 that day in March last year up in Burlington! That's what I wish it was more like everygame!

I understand the argument for those wanting to sit and that they bought a ticket too, but it really annoys me ... . I don't want to turn into something like Siena fans at the TUC.

Not at our games. 2 or 3 times at the arena where they put garbage bags over the seats people complained I was cheering too loudly for the visiting team. Once it was in a section that had 9 fans so I moved to the section behind the vistors bench which happened to be the only section with spirit at last seasons Siena - Iona game.

The only real solution to it is to have sections set aside for students and the "rowdier" folks. That's what most venues have, whether it be Chrysler Arena (Michigan), at Duke, or even the SEFCU w/ it's student sections. Sometimes, the students and younger folks just get mixed in with the older, quieter folks, and that's where the conflict arises. No big deal, I guess ... .

The only real solution to it is to have sections set aside for students and the "rowdier" folks. That's what most venues have, whether it be Chrysler Arena (Michigan), at Duke, or even the SEFCU w/ it's student sections. Sometimes, the students and younger folks just get mixed in with the older, quieter folks, and that's where the conflict arises. No big deal, I guess ... .

UA_MA, please--it's Crisler, named after football coach Fritz Crisler, not the automaker. :rolleyes: I attended U-M in the early '90s when they moved the student section from behind one basket to the sideline behind the benches (where it is today). There was some back-and-forth between the students who usually stood and non-students who sat (or tried to sit) behind them. Among Tommy Ammaker's few accomplishments at the U. were removing the individual seats, replacing them with bleachers and turning that sideline into a true "standing-friendly" student section.

I should point out that before they moved the student section to the sideline, Crisler Arena was notorious for being quieter than the Undergraduate Library (UgLi), which wasn't all that quiet. One writer joked in the school paper that Crisler was so quiet that students should go there to study and that the UgLi should host the games because it was so loud.

Sorry to go off-topic; just re-living the (usually) good ol' days.

S€

UA_MA, please--it's Crisler, named after football coach Fritz Crisler, not the automaker. :rolleyes: I attended U-M in the early '90s when they moved the student section from behind one basket to the sideline behind the benches (where it is today). There was some back-and-forth between the students who usually stood and non-students who sat (or tried to sit) behind them. Among Tommy Ammaker's few accomplishments at the U. were removing the individual seats, replacing them with bleachers and turning that sideline into a true "standing-friendly" student section.

I should point out that before they moved the student section to the sideline, Crisler Arena was notorious for being quieter than the Undergraduate Library (UgLi), which wasn't all that quiet. One writer joked in the school paper that Crisler was so quiet that students should go there to study and that the UgLi should host the games because it was so loud.

S€

I grew up down the street from the Big House and Crisler Arena -- in Colonial Square (and attended St. Francis for elementary school) -- while my father was a professor at U of M (my parents were at the game when Anthony Carter lost his shoe and scored the winning touchdown against Indiana (I think that's who it was against!)). Guess I should know how to spell the Arena that I was in a few times as a young feller! :)

S€

I grew up down the street from the Big House and Crisler Arena -- in Colonial Square (and attended St. Francis for elementary school) -- while my father was a professor at U of M (my parents were at the game when Anthony Carter lost his shoe and scored the winning touchdown against Indiana (I think that's who it was against!)). Guess I should know how to spell the Arena that I was in a few times as a young feller! :)

That's right; I forgot you were from Treetown! My younger brother and I idolized Anthony Carter. Little bro even went by the "AC" moniker due to his small stature and ability to catch just about anything thrown to him in our backyard and parking lot games in the mean streets of Oakland County. Your reply reminded me of the no. 81 Vikings jersey that has lain dormant in my closet for years. Coincidentally, it happens to be purple, gold, and white so I plan to wear it to the New Hampshire game (need to make sure it still fits!). I was getting a little jaded by my usual purple t-shirt anyway.

Go Danes,

S€

Archived