UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Another Bingo player bites the dust

this judge is an idiot...even if the bail was to small, he should have at least taken the kids passport away, knowing of the possibility to leave the country. I don't know about you, but people in the Binghamton area should be calling for this judges bench after this.

Agreed.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole incident is nothing short of a tragedy. The worst part is that the victim has still not recovered and God knows if he ever will. Something about this incident really strikes a painful cord with me. Where is the common decency and any shred of humanity?

This whole incident is nothing short of a tragedy. The worst part is that the victim has still not recovered and God knows if he ever will. Something about this incident really strikes a painful cord with me. Where is the common decency and any shred of humanity?

What great role models those parents are!

Serbian consulate posted bail for former BU basketball player charged in beating

By Nancy Dooling • Press & Sun-Bulletin • June 16, 2008

Serbia's Consulate General in New York City posted $100,000 cash bail for a former Binghamton University basketball player who fled to his native Serbia after facing charges in a near fatal beating of another BU student.

Miladin Kovacevic's bail was posted June 6 with $20,000 in cash and an $80,000 bank check, Broome County Sheriff David E. Harder said. The bail was paid by Igor Milosevic, representing the Consulate General of the People of Serbia, the sheriff said.

Kovacevic, a 20-year-old sophomore at BU, had been in jail since his arrest May 4 on a felony assault charge in the near deadly beating of Bryan Steinhauer, 22. Steinhauer has not regained consciousness since the attack in a Binghamton bar, police said.

Serbian Consol General Slobodian Nenadovic said Monday his office is aware of the incident. But the consulate official who handled Kovacevic's bail is out of the New York City office for two weeks. Nenadovic said Monday he was unable to comment until he knows more about the case.

"I don't know what else I can tell you," Nenadovic said.

The 6-foot, 9-inch Kovacevic is believed to have fled to Serbia days after making bail and surrendering his passport to local court officials. Local officials are still trying to get to the bottom of how Kovacevic was able to leave the country.

The bail for Kovacevic was paid in Broome County Court, but was then handed over to Harder's office. The money will be deposited with Broome County's finance department, which holds bail money in criminal cases, said Jerome Z. Knebel, the county's finance commissioner. Harder said it's the first time in his 10-year tenure as sheriff that bail has been posted by a foreign consulate.

Broome County Judge Joseph F. Cawley Jr. set Kovacevic's bail. He declined comment, citing a judicial rule that prohibits judges from commenting on a pending case.

Two other men charged in the assault on Steinhauer have been released on $10,000 cash bail. Sanel Softic, 21, of Roberts Street, Binghamton, was charged May 21, and Edin Dzubur, 24, of Fairview Street, Johnson City, was charged May 22. They were each charged with one felony count of second-degree assault, city police said.

A federal warrant was issued Friday for Kovacevic's arrest, allowing the FBI to look for him around the world, local federal prosecutors said.

Serbia has an extradition treaty with the United States, and if Kovacevic is found, he will be sent back to the United States for prosecution, Binghamton Detective Capt. Alex J. Minor said.

Consuls general are official representatives of the government of one state in the territory of another. They assist and protect the citizens of their own country, help trade and promote friendships between countries. Consulates are located in cities around the world.

Article Found Here

(emphasis in bold supplied)

• 3 weeks later...

Too bad this thug is going to get away with this.

It is high time for Condy to consider "dismissing" the current ambasador from the United States. Which will also never happen.

Too much money changing hands.

Let's hope he breaks his neck in an unfortunate incident playing pro ball.

Flush Real Hard!

It a long way to Kovacevic's House

As far as I am concerned, this Serbian basketball player is a terrorist. And Serbia is protecting and harboring a terrorist.

Please allow me to remind the readers here as to how Serbia views the United States:

(A video showing the Serbian attack on the US Embassy in February of 2008, which resulted in at least one death)

Fox News reports on the Embassy attack:

(nice job, police)

When Serbian mobsters attacked the US Embassy, where was the Serbian military and/or police to stop them? I, for one, would have no problem with any imposed sanctions on Serbia, and would also have no problem with a military strike consisting solely of missles and other long-range weapons, weather to wipe out this basketball player and his family, who is also harboring a terrorist, or to send a message generally to Serbia, who I clearly view as an enemy and hostile nation.*

*Yes, I understand a military strike on Serbia would not happen, re: potential Russian involvement.

Miladin Kovacevic will NEVER be turned in or arrested by Serbia. NEVER. They are laughing at us right now as well.

The only way we'll ever get this guy is to set up a reward for his capture and arrest (and his return to the United States) or simply to have the United States Government offer a bounty or reward for his capture -- dead or alive. I'm not sure whether private (or public, for that matter) funds could help establish a fund for the "dead or alive" acquisition of Miladin (probably would be some legal issues there). See, e.g., FBI, FBI's Ten Most Wanted, available at http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/laden.htm (offering monetary award for the "apprehension" or "conviction" of Bin Laden)

If the Government established a fund for the apprehension of Miladin and strategically advertised it amonst the Bosnians, I wonder what would happen? :)

Here's a question. Where will his "pro" team play? Is it an international league or just a Serbian national league? The guy has an Interpol warrant out for his arrest. It seems it would be pretty easy to have him picked up when he travels outside of Serbia.

Archived