UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coaches Blog

05.30.08:

We are really excited about our 2008 recruiting class. The class brings talent, depth, versatility, and scoring to our program. I think we will be versatile enough to play many different combinations and to play at different paces as well. Below are my thoughts on each of the student-athletes.

Anthony Raffa 6’1- Lead guard is extremely quick and really pushes the ball in transition, outstanding mid-range game, can really get in to the lane and make plays for himself and his teammates, very aggressive on the ball defender.

Logan Aronhalt 6’4- Wing player who is physically ready to play college basketball, very good 3 point shooter, explosive off the floor, understands the game, a coaches son, will be able to post up smaller guards, has some international experience, big time student!

Jake Lindfors 6’9- Has a European type game, skilled big man, shoots the 3, a pick and pop guy, he is a power forward who with added strength will cause match-up problems for opponents.

Mike Johnson 6’1- Lead guard who just makes plays on both ends, tough as nails, reminds me a lot of former Great Dane Levi Levine, very intense!, can make plays for himself or his teammates, really competes!

Louis Barraza 6’5- Really shoots it! Great range! Good feel for the game, has a nice post up game, has 3 years of eligibility, tremendous student!

Scotty McRae 6’8- Long and talented wing player, played 4 games as a 17 year old freshman at St. Peter’s College before deciding to transfer to a JC during the first semester, Averaged 19.5ppg and 10rpg at NJCAA National Tourney, good 3 point shooter, nice post up game, crashes glass hard, will post up other small forwards, blocks shots.

This class will really bring some much needed offensive firepower to our program. We should still be a very good rebounding team and have the make-up to be a good defensive team as well. Only time will tell!

He seems very enthused and it appears the major achelis heal from last year has been addressed....putting 'da rock in 'da hole. How much longer 'till the start of the season? :rolleyes:

Wow lot to sink in this week. But looking at the current roster and using what coach B has to say about the newbies I can see a starting lineup of

PG Mike Johnson (I just can't see a Freshman leading the Point at the start of the season)

SG Tim Ambrose (Hopefully he can work on his defensive game)

SF Jarel Hastings (I can see him being a Jason Siggers type next year, he has the ability)

PF Brian Connelly (Senior leadership, if he isn't a captain next year I would be shocked, and avg 12-14 pts a game)

C Al Turly (Love his big body and quickness, this spot is his to loose)

Bench

PG Raffa (as I have said previously he will be turnover prone I think Coach B indicated that when he says pushes the ball, would love to see him average 10-15 minutes off the bench.)

SG Barraza (real shooter put up some unreal numbers last year)

SF Aronhalt (he may be hoop ready and I have loved the clips I have seen of him but he will still be a Freshman. Could crack the starting lineup by mid-season.)

PF McRae (I know he is new but I like the fact he is athletic and seems to be a multi threat from beyond the arc and paint. Like the fact that he is a NYC kid too.)

C Covington and Gifford (the three headed C, hopefully year two will produce more rebounds and pts., either guy can step in if Al is not doing well in his Sophmore season).

The rest

Allen (I have never seen him play and he is coming off an injury so I can't make a judgement on him),

Lindfors (Like the fact he is a big man with the ability to hit from three but he needs to put on some muscle, wouldn't be shocked to see him red shirt and work on his post game. I don't think we need to rush him.)

I don't mean to come off strong, but I would love to know which Jerel Hastings YOU were watching last year to think he could have a siggers type year this year. I really don't like putting down any members of the team, because they are all hard working kids that put in a lot of time and effort to be the best player they can be, but Jerel was just miserable on the offensive end last year. He had difficulties hitting a layup, let alone his mid range jumper which had absolutely no arc to it. It would take a lot of work from him in the offseason just for him to become a passable player on O this year. However, he was a defensive stopper at times last year and we're gonna need him to play some big minutes for us this year if we expect to compete

I rock the cape I can understand your comments regarding not expecting Jerel having a break out SR. year like Jason Siggers made by B9j2j6s but I disagree with your rather harsh words......

Jerel was just miserable on the offensive end last year. He had difficulties hitting a layup, let alone his mid range jumper which had absolutely no arc to it. - I rock the cape

Jerel hit 41% of his shots, shot 35% from 3 (which is not miserable) and shot just under 77% from the FT line. His jumper is flat and he did miss some costly layups a few of which in my opinion he should have dunked and got caught in between.

He played just under 21 minutes a game. I would expect his game and his comfort zone to improve now that he knows what to expect.

I would not say that his offense was miserable, that's very harsh in my opinion.

Jason Siggers shot .418% including .412% from 3 and 73% from the FT Line his first season in no way am I insinuating that Jerel will have a Jasonesques SR. year but by no means was he close to miserable.

We'll have to see about the PG spot. When Raffa signed as a senior in high school it sounded like Coach Brown was ready for him to start the point that year. Hopefully a year of prep school has only solidifed that opinion but I want to see Johnson play well to make that a difficult decision. I like the idea of a Raffa-Ambrose backcourt which I'll refer to as RAMBROSE - Your worst nightmare.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hastings start because he plays so hard but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the newcomers get that spot either. Coach Brown described as Mcrae as playing the SF spot. A 6'8 small forward? If that pans out we'll be clogging up the middle again this year on defense with all those big guys inside.

It should be an exciting season next year.

It still feels odd that UA hasn't played a game in two and a half months and the NBA is still a week away from the Finals.

Are there any rules with accurately reporting heights?

Raffa is listed a little taller than I expected, at 6'1", while Lindfors is listed a little shorter at 6'9".

Is this a harmless attempt at deception or medically verified information? Just wondering...

Haggy - I saw Raffa play in Prep school and he appeared to be 5'11"-6', Lindfors is a legitimate 6'9" or slightly bigger.

DP - Raffa vs Johnson at the PG position is going to be a war, from what I hear both of them are in your face defenders and I'm sure they are going to go after each other constantly. It's probably going to come down to who can adjust to the system the best.

As for a RAMBROSE backcourt that could cost Brown alot of his remaining hair. I guess evryone must pay some price to be successful.

And yea it looks like the Danes can play big at times again this year - with a line up something like

PG Johnson 6'1" 195

2G Aronhalt 6'4" 215

SF McCrae 6'8" 215

PF Connelly 6'8" 225

C Gifford 6'11" 260

Patch: Thanks for the perspective. I considered going to see Raffa play in prep but never found the time.

Any idea on where the height figures come from for an official release? Wasn't Barkley always listed as 6'6" when he was closer to 6'4"?

I have no idea where the heights and weights come from. Guys might be measured in their sneakers who knows.

I've seen too many 6'5" & 6'6" players who appeared to be 6'4" maybe they just ask the players!!!!!

Haggy - I saw Raffa play in Prep school and he appeared to be 5'11"-6', Lindfors is a legitimate 6'9" or slightly bigger.

DP - Raffa vs Johnson at the PG position is going to be a war, from what I hear both of them are in your face defenders and I'm sure they are going to go after each other constantly. It's probably going to come down to who can adjust to the system the best.

As for a RAMBROSE backcourt that could cost Brown alot of his remaining hair. I guess evryone must pay some price to be successful.

And yea it looks like the Danes can play big at times again this year - with a line up something like

PG Johnson 6'1" 195

2G Aronhalt 6'4" 215

SF McCrae 6'8" 215

PF Connelly 6'8" 225

C Gifford 6'11" 260

That would be a more athletic big line-up, IMHO, than last year.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm super excited for the upcoming season. I realize i haven't seen any of the newcomers play, but I think we got a bunch of guys who are really gonna get after it

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm super excited for the upcoming season. I realize i haven't seen any of the newcomers play, but I think we got a bunch of guys who are really gonna get after it

I've been waiting since the buzzer rang on last season......I can't wait to see this group. Especially if this team will be more of a running/scoring team as coach seems to think.

I am very reserved - all recruits look good on paper.

Aronhalt, Barraza, Johnson, Lindfors, McRae & Raffa all major question marks as far as I'm concerned.

I think we will need solid contributions (early) from 4 of the 6 to be decent.

I can't wait until next year to see the intrasquad scrimmage.

I had to chuckle as I was thinking there are posts just like these on almost every AE teams bulletin board. Love the optimism though. There will be, at least, 5 or 6 teams that have very high hopes for next year. The league will be a series of tremendous battles which will hopefully end up in SEFCU arena. Should be a great year.

Archived