UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

BREAKING: Bruno not seeking re-election

danefan

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/23/nyregion...amp;oref=slogin

“Today, I met with my Republican colleagues in the Senate and informed them that I will not be running for re-election this November,” Mr. Bruno said in a statement. “After 32 years in office, I have decided that it is time to move on with my life and to give my constituents an opportunity for new representation and my colleagues in the Senate who have supported me an opportunity for new leadership.”

What do you guys think?

I guess it matters who runs in his place.

I think he feels the Democrats will gain control in the upcoming election, and its better to go out as the majority leader then the minority leader...just an opinion.

and it could have to do with this & his federal investigation:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/06/23..._once_clai.html

Voting today in the Senate for new leadership. 99.9% sure that it will be Sen Skelos (LI) for Maj. Leader and Sen Libous (Binghamton) will be the 2nd in command. Which some will probably be pissed that it is someone from LI and someone from Bing moving up and not someone from the Albany area, but how much did Bruno, from this area, do to helping UA this past year.. not much.

more on Dems possible chance of takeover:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/06/23...ign_in_sig.html

I'm really interested to see who else retires now. He's been persuading older members to stay on for a while now hasn't he?

The quote in the NY Times article from this morning was quite comical:

“We’ll be curious to see who else decides to join him in the retired legislators section at the Saratoga Racetrack,” said June O’Neill, the chairwoman of the state Democratic Party.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/nyregion...amp;oref=slogin

Don't discount Senator Libous. Of course he has to bring home the bacon to Bing/Vestal...however his son MATT was a frat brother of mine at Albany. Just saw Matt about three months ago in NYC.

So....he has an Albany connection.

Hint...hint...to our Athletic staff....start kissing his arse!

Skelos is a big man down here on LI...I live in the town right next to and B9j2j6s lives in the same town as him. Should be interesting. I know upstaters are going to try and push for someone else I would think.

Newsday is reporting that Skelos is expected to get the job

Does that mean more money for Stony Brook?

If the Republicans maintain control of the senate, Stony Brook will be even more rewarded than they were in the past. Hard to believe that university is hardly 50 years old. If the Democrats capture the Senate, Stony Brook would lose it's commanding position. Sen LaValle would lose his chairman's position and Republican Long Island would be hurting. Buffalo would probably do well under the Democrats. UAlbany hasn't had an advocate so I don't know how well we'll do?

Will New Yorkers from Poughkeepsie to Plattsburgh ever realize there is only 1 SUNY Center in this region? Tech Valley, Eastern New York, etc call it what you want but this region only has one SUNY Center. Until people identify with the school and understand it's economic impact as they do in Buffalo and Long Island, UAlbany will continue to struggle.

Putting multiple campuses under a single university name would help a lot. A Buffalo area newspaper recommended it but it would work well here also. UAlbany is basically going science and tech. Put all the SUNY Tech colleges and Albany under one university name. How about New York Polytech?

Senate Majority Leader Bruno retiring

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/...ml?ana=from_rss

UA Mention in one article..

"He has secured millions in state aid for the University at Albany's ever-expanding College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering. He also orchestrated the creation of UAlbany's East Campus and genomics research center in East Greenbush, and helped generate tax credits and other financial incentives that led General Electric Co. (NYSE: GE) to build a manufacturing plant in the Rensselaer Technology Park."

Something for the NYTimes article this morning that I did not like to read:

"Like Mr. Bruno, Mr. Skelos is known for delivering state money to his district, sometimes with his name attached. The Dean G. Skelos Sports Complex in Rockville Centre, for example, cost the state $1 million."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/nyregion...amp;oref=slogin

If the majority does not change in the Senate come November, we could be in real trouble of losing SUNY money to SBU via Lavalle and Skelos. :o

Then again, if the Dems do take the Majority we'll be looking at Malcom Smith as Majority Leader. He hails from Southeast Queens which is a heck of lot closer to SBU than it is to Albany.

I just hope UA is proactive in their lobbying. Just because the guy isn't from the Capitol District doesn't mean you don't try. Never stop fighting.

What ever happened to the SUNY panel? Did they ever give their final suggestions? What were they?... even though I know they won't be implemented.

I just hope UA is proactive in their lobbying. Just because the guy isn't from the Capitol District doesn't mean you don't try. Never stop fighting.

What ever happened to the SUNY panel? Did they ever give their final suggestions? What were they?... even though I know they won't be implemented.

I read somewhere that Albany insiders don't expect them to ever write a final report. They'll leave it hanging in perpetuity because with a real pro-SUNY governor nothing will get done anyway. If you couldn't tell - Paterson is really meh on SUNY in general.

Archived