UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Another AWESOM bit of reporting

Clickclack

SUNY crime stats fudged?

In case you needed to see a crime MAP!

Nice...single out SUNY, never mind that the city of Albany is being overrun by crime....random shooting etc. Next it will be the UA kids that are perpetrating all of these crimes.

In the meantime.....Siena, busing kids for underage drinking.....cool with the Useless! Bury it deep so not to offend anyone over there. UA should forge closer ties with the other local media outlets, even the Gazette and kick the Siena rag to where it belongs....the curb!

Only recently have I noticed how slanted and biased their coverage is and it's absolutely disgusting. No one is saying abandon all journalistic integrity and only write fluff pieces on UA but DAMN!

SUNY crime stats fudged?

In case you needed to see a crime MAP!

Nice...single out SUNY, never mind that the city of Albany is being overrun by crime....random shooting etc. Next it will be the UA kids that are perpetrating all of these crimes.

In the meantime.....Siena, busing kids for underage drinking.....cool with the Useless! Bury it deep so not to offend anyone over there. UA should forge closer ties with the other local media outlets, even the Gazette and kick the Siena rag to where it belongs....the curb!

Only recently have I noticed how slanted and biased their coverage is and it's absolutely disgusting. No one is saying abandon all journalistic integrity and only write fluff pieces on UA but DAMN!

I have to agree. I knew the TU would be all over this story, as if this was a reflection of the university. Crime that happens in the city, state or country is beyond the control of the university. Maybe we should ban students from leaving campus? Of course Siena students never venture into the City of Albany or somehow their college protects them if they do come into the city?

Maybe I'm old school but it always annoys me that if a 22 year old is in college he's a "kid" and should be protected while a 20 year old mechanic, truck driver or other worker is just a man. College is attended by ADULTS. These people can vote, serve in the military etc. What adults do and where they choose to go is not the concern of an educational establishment. Should my company run crime statistics for its employees because we have 20 year olds working here? Is it a negative reflection on the company if an employee is killed in Atlanta? It’s tragic but don't blame the university or in this case the company.

It's as if the University at Albany is at fault for the student walking alone OFF CAMPUS and being a victim of what appears to be a random act of violence. Instead of remembering the student that was shot and killed, the brain trust over there decided to use this unfortunate event as an 'opportunity' to tell us how crime ridden the UA campus is and how lawless the students are (or can't stay away from criminal activity).

I told you guys yesterday this would happen and its despicable. I don't even know what to say.

None of these "studies" should be considered seriously at all. One common thread that I have discovered about crime studies in schools is that it is like comparing apples and oranges. The various institutions constantly are not on the same page when they consider what a reportable crime actually is. The same thing holds true for the violence reports issued by the various public school districts in NYS. Some districts, such as those found in more rural areas, overreport incidents, such as one student's glancing negatively at another student or staff member. In other cases, most notably in the most urban areas, major incidents, such as bringing weapons to school, are completely ignored.

Every time a newspaper reports the results of a crime study, there should be a loud and clear disclaimer to the public that such results are inconsistent and inaccurate. The idea of reporting crime statistics is a good idea, but getting a true and accurate picture of the level of crime is still far off.

Today's TU:

UA Faces Safety Concerns

It's a shame that the school's reputation may now be at jeopardy over this terrible tragedy. Maybe it's a wake-up call for both the city and university to clean up that part of the city. The student ghetto is a cesspool and has been neglected by officials for way too long.

As tragic as this is, it is not the University's responsibility.

The University does everything it can to educate its students on off-campus safety. It has even gone as far as sending safety officers door-to-door with information.

This is the City of Albany's crime problem. There is no evidence that these crimes are being perpetrated by UAlbany students. The UAlbany students are the victims here and somehow that's UAlbany's fault?

I don't get this at all.

The University does everything it can to educate its students on off-campus safety. It has even gone as far as sending safety officers door-to-door with information.

This is the City of Albany's crime problem. There is no evidence that these crimes are being perpetrated by UAlbany students. The UAlbany students are the victims here and somehow that's UAlbany's fault?

I don't get this at all.

I said as much yesterday....this is a terrible tragedy but how is this any worse then the other 9 homicides IN THE CITY OF ALBANY this year? They are running story after story saying how it's UA's crime problem. Whether it's mugging of our students in the CITY OF ALBANY, rape or assault these crimes are NOT happening on campus. Those that are happening on campus are being reported as per Clery-required reports. If they were happening on campus then the garbage they are writing would be warranted. I honestly cannot understand what their play is here. As if an e-mail alert could have prevented this senseless tragedy...I'm sure there are regular reminder type e-mails sent out to students outlining security procedures etc.

They paint the picture that crimes that occur off campus are not being reported in the Clery reports....but then go on to say..."Even though most crimes against college students happen off campus, the law only holds schools accountable for campuses, noncampus buildings such as fraternity houses, and adjacent public property like sidewalks." Should UA be a little more judicious and send out e-mails alerts, PERHAPS but they have gone door to door and sent out e-mail alerts in the past and continue to do so.

The TU is an insult to journalism!

I don't get this at all.

I said as much yesterday....this is a terrible tragedy but how is this any worse then the other 9 homicides IN THE CITY OF ALBANY this year? They are running story after story saying how it's UA's crime problem....

The TU is an insult to journalism!

Exactly right that this a problem for the mayor, APD, and the DA. If they want to revitalize the city here's where they've got to start. Haven't seen the TU jump on that editorial bandwagon yet :-/ You'd think they (the TU) would be savvy enough to realize this kind of reputation will even hinder the arena that they paid naming rights on.

Regarding the TU, I'm more and more mystified by their posture regarding UA. How does diminishing UAlbany's success in attracting students, athletics, academics, and the social experience of college serve any benefit to the Capital District? If they can't be boosters, at least don't bend over backwards to be negative. There's a reason that

outsiders (and some insiders) call this SMALL-BANY :-/

I've lived here all my life but sadly some things never seem to change :-(

I don't get this at all.

I dont disagree, however parents and potential students will weight the safety of the City of Albany into their decision on which school to attend. It may not be the UA's responsibily, but they will be held accountable for it regardless.

IMO, the school needs to do a better job of promoting off campus housing closer to the uptown campus and build more on-campus apartments like Empire Quad. The City needs to encourage redevelopment in midtown, get more officers on the streets and make it safe.

Finally someone with some common sense:

David Soares.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=732420

My discussion with the chief of police at SUNY has been we need to educate students more about where they are, Soares said. Theyre in an urban environment. Soares, who is running for reelection, also faulted what he characterized as misguided past law enforcement strategies focused on containing and controlling neighborhoods like West Hill, Arbor Hill and Park South.As we see the student quote-unquote ghetto coming in closer proximity with those neighborhoods that have had these failed policies, I think that is going to continue to deliver crime, and crime that is all too often very senseless.

Archived