UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium planning

UAalum72

Found these reports of the Advisory Planning and Aesthetics committee discussing Heery's recommendations, one from July and one in September - before the fiscal crisis, of course. The second also mentions the statues for the entry plaza.

Two things really caught my attention:

1. $6 million to relocate the running track? Sounds awful steep.

2. 140 feet tall? for a maximum 24K seat stadium - the seats only rise 16-20 inches per row, unless you want five tiers of luxury boxes on top.

http://74.125.47.132/custom?q=cache:8oBrHE...=google-coop-np

Heery presentation of Multi-Use Stadium site options

APAAC is being asked to comment on the site selection criteria and options for the multi-use stadium and to generally indicate their preferences so that this input can be shared with the President.

• While the stadium project is not currently funded in the Capital Plan, a site selection and concept study is underway to help advance the project. Heery International, a consultant working at the direction of the campus’ multi-use stadium committee, is developing a preferred site and architectural/engineering concept renderings that can be used for design at later stages of the

project and for marketing/fundraising in the near term.

• Mike Holleman (Heery International) presented the five site selection options for the multi-use stadium that were analyzed by his firm. The project committee has narrowed these options down to three locations and have selected a preferred site.

• Mr. Holleman described the three sites and reviewed their relative advantages and disadvantages as well as sharing various sectional and perspective drawings.

• It was all agreed that the future stadium – with seating of approximately 10k with expansion to 24k – would be a very large and prominent feature on the uptown campus and that site selection would need to consider relative scale of the structure, interaction with other buildings and campus features, and proximity to neighbors.

• Site number 1 (by the Dutch Quad tennis courts) was deemed by APAAC to be too close to the neighbors. APAAC members were most interested in site number 2 (on the existing football field) and site number 4 (adjacent to, and connected with, SEFCU arena).

• Questions of cost were discussed. Site number 2 would require relocation of the track (estimated at $6 million); but site number 4 would require more extensive site utility work. Final cost numbers were not provided.

• The committee was informed that the athletics staff and building committee generally preferred site number 4. Most of APAAC generally preferred that site, as well, given the opportunity to make connections and improvements to the SEFCU facility. Moreover there was concern that placement of a large stadium (at 140 feet tall, taller than the quad low-rises and the PE building) in site number 2 would be too prominent a location, in the “center” of the campus.

• Nonetheless, there was continued interest in site number 2, as it could become a prominent feature on the campus; and it would retain football on its current site.

• All opinions would be shared with the President

http://74.125.47.132/custom?q=cache:0kYwUB...=google-coop-np

Multi-use stadium update

APAAC was updated on the progress of the stadium concept design; and the committee was asked to comment on the draft renderings and the look, “feel, and color” of the stadium. This input would help finalize concept documents for production and marketing.

• Robert Prendergast, senior planner at UAlbany, presented the stadium concept and various renderings and animated “fly-throughs”.

• Mr. Prendergast updated APAAC on the site selection, explaining it was the preferred site voiced at the July 2, 2008 APAAC meeting. He also explained that the multi-use stadium project is not funded for design or construction, but has gone through the site, building programming, and cost estimating process.

Phase one of the project would provide approximately 10,000 seats, full stadium amenities, athletics spaces for education, and locker facilities. Phase two would expand the facility to as many as 24,000 seats.

• APAAC members discussed the site and asked for clarification on what green spaces may be taken away from recreation purposes. It was explained that the space taken was the varsity soccer practice field, a function that would be moved or shared in the future with another varsity field.

• APAAC members generally approved of the look and feel of the facility. Most of the comments focused on the desired planning element which created a strong north-south walkway from the planned stadium to the Podium. It was explained that the continuation of this walkway was not part of the budget or scope of the stadium project, but would be a potential design principal for future campus planning.

3. Senior class gift: Great Dane sculptures at the Entry Plaza

APAAC member Fardin Sanai, Vice President for University Development, asked generally about the next steps to consider a class gift that may involve sculpture on campus.

• Mr. Sanai is aware that the senior class may be interested in fund raising for Great Danes to be installed on the two plinths that are on both corners of the new Entry Plaza.

• John Giarrusso explained that the notion of placing Great Danes on those locations was something that piqued the interest of many in the campus community after the architect who designed the new plaza inserted the Great Danes in the official rendering. There was no funding or general consensus, however, on whether the Great Dane should – or would ever – be located there.

• There was general discussion among APAAC members that if sculpture is considered for this location, it should be a “forward looking” type of serious message or image. Some APAAC members like the idea of school spirit that would be transmitted with such Great Dane sculptures. Others thought that if the sculptures were a cartoonish image, it wouldn’t be acceptable. Some wanted to see it first before providing an opinion, while others suggested that the better site would perhaps be in front of the new stadium.

As a next step, Mr. Sanai will share with the group what the sculptures may look like.

Further action on this item would need a broader sculpture policy that was suggested a need at the July

2, 2008 APAAC meeting.

Awesome find. Gotta love Google.

I'd love to see the flythroughs they provided.

$6 million has to include a new track and seating as well.

140 feet tall has to include the press box and luxury boxes. Look at SBU's stadium. Their press box is very tall. But 140 feet has to be off a little, doesn't it? 14 stories high?

140 feet tall has to include the press box and luxury boxes. Look at SBU's stadium. Their press box is very tall. But 140 feet has to be off a little, doesn't it? 14 stories high?

Hah! Albany Stadium would be 40 feet higher than the Rose Bowl press box.

http://www.rosebowlstadium.com/RoseBowl_general-info.htm

They have to have meant 40 feet high.

That makes more sense.

I have been trying to like crazy to get some indication of what the University's capital priorities were that was submitted to SUNY.

I can't find that info anywhere. I wish they would just be open about it, but maybe in this market, flying under the radar is a good thing.

does anyone think that the new Obama Economic Plan for public work projects can help in UA getting the money to build a stadium. I am not saying the university would get money directly from the federal government. However, if the federal government is giving money to NY State for other public works projects, the state can then allocate more money to other projects in the state, such as the UA Stadium project. Opinions?

My view is you need to be optimistic and set challenging goals. If people said "well this is unlikely so therefore I won't do it", we'd never achieve anything.

SUNY Buffalo is the MAC football champions because they pushed for it. They had to fight SUNY to go FBS. They also coerced Gov Spitzer to declare UB the SUNY "flagship". The Buffalo News has at least one article a week talking about UB2020. Every press release from SUNY Buffalo says "flagship". It's not our decision whether or not we receive funding. Our job is to lobby for it. Buffalo and Stony Brook are submitting plans; you can be SURE about that.

The more I think about this stadium and FBS the more it makes sense to me. As Danefan said, politicians pay attention to FBS. The public pays attention to FBS. ESPN is only showing the FCS Championship game but every Bowl game and every FBS conference championship game is being covered.

Albany is in a sweet position. There is only 1 lousy FBS team between NYC and Canada. We would be the only FBS team between Boston and Syracuse. We can't get 10k fans out of the millions of people that live in this huge area?

Ask for the cash. All they can say is no. The Capitol Region needs to get a spine and lobby for its betterment.

Hah! Albany Stadium would be 40 feet higher than the Rose Bowl press box.

http://www.rosebowlstadium.com/RoseBowl_general-info.htm

My view is you need to be optimistic and set challenging goals. If people said "well this is unlikely so therefore I won't do it", we'd never achieve anything.

SUNY Buffalo is the MAC football champions because they pushed for it. They had to fight SUNY to go FBS. They also coerced Gov Spitzer to declared UB the SUNY "flagship". The Buffalo News has at least one article a week talking about UB2020. Every press release from SUNY Buffalo says "flagship". It's not our decision whether or not we receive funding. Our job is to lobby for it. Buffalo and Stony Brook are submitting plans; you can be SURE about that.

The more I think about this stadium and FBS the more it makes sense to me. As Danefan said, politicians pay attention to FBS. The public pays attention to FBS. ESPN is only showing the FCS Championship game but every Bowl game and every FBS conference championship game is being covered.

Albany is in a sweet position. There is only 1 lousy FBS team between NYC and Canada. We would be the only FBS team between Boston and Syracuse. We can't get 10k fans out of the millions of people that live in this huge area?

Ask for the cash. All they can say is no. The Capitol Region needs to get a spine and lobby for its betterment.

I'm with ya ATL_DANE!! BECOME what we want to be. Speak of ourselves as a flagship university, and we hopefully will continue to head towards that.

As to the Rose Bowl, I was just out in Pasadena for Ninth Circuit work this summer, and I took a couple long jogs/runs from downtown Pasadena and to and around the Rose Bowl and that country club/golf course behind it. It's a gorgeous run, but as to the Rose Bowl, it really is pretty short (not tall). Old stadium though ... .

Standing outside of it, it really doesn't look like it could hold 90,000 fans!! It's gorgeous, but not that impressive as far as stadiums and size go. No qualms, however, as to the scores of female joggers also circling the Rose Bowl with, and past, me. :wub:

And you all can be darn sure that I wore my UAlbany shirts and gear everytime I ran out there. I daydreamed about Coach Ford and the football team coming out to play UCLA in the Rose Bowl as part of UCLA's non-conference schedule. Hehe, ROAD TRIP! :)

Isn't it about time to submit the budget for next year? I know it's probably a pipe dream at this point considering the fiscal crisis this state is in but I'd love to know if the stadium request is in there or what if any capital projects are in there.

The budget has already been submitted. The SUNY board of trustees already approved it and sent it along to the Gov's office. I haven't been able to find a copy of the submitted budget. I have emailed SUNY central to no avail as well.

Let's send scrabbleship down to the Legislature to lobby for money for a stadium! :)

I pass :). However, if any of you want to use my playbook (pretty much telling the legislature that the current building is inadequate and is near condemnation and that no suitable substitute field exists for many miles), go right ahead :).

Archived