UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Canisius @ UA

Next home game….Canisius. This is a return game from the Bracketbuster event last year where we were up big and simply put….stopped playing, losing to a HORRIBLE team. IMO, it was the worst loss of last season and I for one will be looking for our boys to get a measure of payback in this one.

This season, Canisius is again a terrible team. They come in with a record of 3-5, last game they lost to a bad St. Peters team (another MAAC juggernaut) by 24 points.

Scouting report says that Canisius is a bad offensive team. Their offensive efficiency is one of the worst in the country (307), they turn the ball over like it’s going out of style (331), they are shooting 25% from beyond the 3-point line on the year, and they make 64% of their FT’s as a team. They are average, at best, rebounding the ball.

Hopefully UA can put together a complete game and put them away early; anything less than a comfortable win against an opponent as bad as Canisius will be a disappointment.

They are led by a 320lb center in Chris Gadley (13.6ppg, 7.6rpg) and their 5'10 PG Frank Turner(13.3ppg .64A/T ratio), both Juniors.

I'm hoping for a solid game from our three headed monster in Will (hopefully he can continue what he started in the Lehigh game), Timmy and Anthony.

My concern is that we continue playing to the level of our competition.

It seems to me (but what the heck do I know) that we play subpar teams subpar, we play

mediocre teams mediocre, and we play very good teams very good.

I'd for once like us to play our game, just like you said - for the complete 40 minutes - but at the

high intensity, high aggressive level we are capable of... we should be playing like its an ncaa tournament game, every game.

I'm sure by the numbers, Maine was probably the 40+ point underdog to Oklahoma.

And they lost by 40.

By the numbers, how much should we be favored over Canisius?

By Sagarin's 'Predictor' we should be 10 1/2 point favorites.

BTW Maine was about a 26-point dog and they actually lost by...26

And they lost by 40.

At home, I would say Albany should be an 8 to 10 point favorite. Canisius has some talent but does not consistently bring it.

I am not a fan of Turner for Canisius at all, he can be explosive but more often than not tries to do too much. I like the matchup of Raffa/Johnson versus him. Canisius' 2 guards aren't all that good, Ambrose should be able to dominate. I do like Canisius' inside play, especially Loggins & Vasquez-Simmons.

This is a game UAlbany should win, going away.

And they lost by 40.

By Sagarin's 'Predictor' we should be 10 1/2 point favorites.

BTW Maine was about a 26-point dog and they actually lost by...26

Thanks 72, for the score correction... you are absolutely right.

I thought on sportscenter, I saw a 40 point game.

Must have been that extra brewsky.

Then again, last year was a game we probably should have won as well ... :(

last year your team was far less athletic. I predicted Canisius winning that game because of that difference in athleticism. This probably wont be overly easy but SUNY should come out on top. Canisius isnt playing as well as they were at the end of last season for sure. It should be an interesting game with SUNY coming out on top.

Difference in this game is SUNY is the home team. Athlete to athlete it should be a good matchup.

I guess I see this game a bit differently. I didn't see it as the most disappointing loss last year. We had just lost an emotional game to league leader UMBC last year and I didn't think this game meant that much in February. I was much more aggrivated after the loss at UNH and especially the loss at home to Maine. We win either one of those games and we have an easier matchup in the first round of the AE tournament.

Also to think we should not only win a game like this but to win it easily seems like a reach. I think we can be a very good team but at this point I'm not sure we're better than last year. Conside the three teams we beat last year CCSU, Lehigh and Columbia and played again this year. We beat Columbia, lost to Lehigh and need late-game heroics from Ambrose to win the CCSU game. I hope I'm proven wrong and we take the Griffs to the shed but I won't be surprised if it's a struggle.

I guess I see this game a bit differently. I didn't see it as the most disappointing loss last year. We had just lost an emotional game to league leader UMBC last year and I didn't think this game meant that much in February. I was much more aggrivated after the loss at UNH and especially the loss at home to Maine. We win either one of those games and we have an easier matchup in the first round of the AE tournament.

Also to think we should not only win a game like this but to win it easily seems like a reach. I think we can be a very good team but at this point I'm not sure we're better than last year. Conside the three teams we beat last year CCSU, Lehigh and Columbia and played again this year. We beat Columbia, lost to Lehigh and need late-game heroics from Ambrose to win the CCSU game. I hope I'm proven wrong and we take the Griffs to the shed but I won't be surprised if it's a struggle.

DP

I hope you are proven wrong too.

This is a team expected middle of the pack maac or worse maac teams have beaten at home convincingly so far this season. They are still not that good and last years loss was very disappointing to me. Maybe Maine at home was worse because it was a conference loss. But either way this was not a good loss last season. The other AE teams taking on maac teams in BB took care of business that day and we did not. That we bounced back and trashed Bingo after their BB win against a better maac team did not lessen that loss.

I would like to see UA take care of business in this one.

Archived