UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Canisius @ UA

WOW!!! Is that your personal philosophy or do you think most fans think that way??????

Which way is that Patch....? Are you an advocate of getting up 15 and coasting, because it's worked out so well for us? I'm an advocate of always putting forth the MAXIMUM effort, and see where it leads. If our MAXIMUM effort results in a 4 point win then that OK to.

We all talk about a killer instinct.....I would hope that isn't only my way of thinking but that the team develops a killer instinct and puts teams away.

Patch,

Just so that we are clear on my point.....in case you think I'm an advocate of running up the score on our opponents should we have the opportunity. I am NOT! I'm simply saying, as long as the other team has the starters still in the game and are attempting to stage a comeback, I see no reason why we shouldn't continue to push pedal to the metal....this is the killer instinct that I'd like to see. If we happen to be up 20 (in any game) with 3 minutes to go and the other team is putting their bench in, no reason we can't do the same to get our bench some time. But I'm not an advocate of playing nice.....if the other team is going full out.

In D1 basketball, there is never a time to let up. If it means winning by 40+ then so be it.

This team has a history of blowing comfortable leads, so adding to the above point, the team should never stop

pushing and scoring.

What brought the team to the 15 point lead against Lehigh was the aggresive, all out hussle approach, which should be the approach all the time. What lost the 15 point lead was a reversal of approach, a 180degree turnaround. Meaning, there's never a time to be passive and satisfied and non-aggressive.

Going back to the UConn Tourny game... I believe the time when we lost the game was when we decided to protect our lead half way through the second half, instead of continuing the attack and aggression. It may not be relevant, as the team has different players, it resembles what is happening from time to time with this team.

I think many fans of many teams get frustrated watching a big lead get built with aggressive basketball, only to see a complete change in style lose that same lead.

Coaches (ours included) have the philosophy that if you slow it down you will limit the other teams chances to score. This works many times, and others it just backfires. My 2 cents is that we do this way to often. Play to not lose rather than to win. I know we missed shots, turned the ball over etc. in the Lehigh game, but tell me how the athletes we put on the floor score 14 points in the last 15+ minutes. We slowed down. Lost aggression. Refused to push. By design?

As I stated on the Lehigh game thread, our D was poor down the end, but if we had scored one more basket, we win that game (or made a couple of free throws). This team has the ability to run, but with the lead they just don't. I hope to see 40 minutes of aggressive play tonight on O and on D. We play what 9 or 10 deep.

Probably Giffy's best game, 11 RB, 4 blocks. Did he get any slack from those guys in sec. 200 today?

NO...as a matter of fact only one of them was there and he couldn't stop raving about him. GREAT game by Giff....very impressive. He played great D, was never out of position, in fact he was in all of the right places. I was very impressed!

Probably Giffy's best game, 11 RB, 4 blocks. Did he get any slack from those guys in sec. 200 today?

NO...as a matter of fact only one of them was there and he couldn't stop raving about him. GREAT game by Giff....very impressive. He played great D, was never out of position, in fact he was in all of the right places. I was very impressed!

Your right on. Giff was where he should be and played the best game I ever saw him play. Thought everyone played real well today, hopefully a sign that the guys are coming together rather than Canisius isn't that good.

Any thoughts on the press today? Did coach put it in just for today or is this something to use in the future? I think we got the athletes and the depth to give it a shot, but we will see.

Great game.

Giffords best game yet.

McRae was impressive.

Stat line of the night...UA 56 Canisius 31 in Rebounds. Two things there. We really rebound and they can't shoot.

Individual stat line of the night.

Tim Ambrose. 19minutes, 15 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Love the aggressive play and some comments by coach after the game. We should be seeing more of this.

Unfortunately I missed the game last night due to work commitments, but its great to see Giff having a good game. I have always been a fan of Giff and what he brings to the team inside, so it was good to hear he had a nice game. I was also VERY happy to see what seems to have been another good game for Harris. With the inconsistency we have seen from him from one game to the next, it was nice to see him string together good back to back performances!

I feel that Giff has had a lot of solid play this year. This game he was better than solid, defensively. He was pretty dominent. Harris has a lot more potential and I hope he keeps improving as the year goes on. I am a fan of playing with a lot of players which allows us to play more full court defense. I am really impressed by Billy Allen's play. He always seems to get to the right places and makes some excellent passes. Scotty McRea has also been very good, although he will fire up some quick shots which are a little questionable.

I hope I'm proven wrong and we take the Griffs to the shed but I won't be surprised if it's a struggle.

Man was I wrong. Happily so though.

A good example of how good this team can be and how little I can predict happened in the first half yesterday. Ambrose went out with the cramp and both Harris and Connelly sat down with fouls. I thought we were in trouble. Then Johnson, Hastings and Mcrae come in and we go a 19-0 run or whatever it was.

I liked the way the starters came out in the second half and didn't let down in intensity despite the big halftime lead. The other thing I liked - 10 guys played and everyone had at least two rebounds. A stat probably helped by the way the Griffs shot the ball but still.

Archived