UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2009 NY State Budget - Football Stadium

GreatDanes06

I figure I get the ball rolling on this thread. This has been posted tonight on Newsday.com:

Sources: Big cuts in guv's budget, but no tax boost

BY JAMES T. MADORE | james.madore@newsday.com

5:44 PM EST, December 14, 2008

ALBANY - With New York hit hard by the recession, Gov. David A. Paterson Tuesday will propose a budget for 2009-10 that cuts services and increases fees - but not income taxes, sources said.

The reductions will affect everything from hospitals and schools to building projects and social welfare. And state employees are bracing for layoffs as agencies are consolidated.

"There isn't a single area of our government that is not going to feel the pain," Paterson said last week in an e-mail to supporters. He added that he would "take the steps necessary to keep our state solvent."

The cuts will be deepest to Medicaid reimbursement and school aid because they account for more than half the money under state officials' control. SUNY and CUNY also are likely to be cut more, and lawmakers still haven't OK'd a $600 increase in tuition approved recently by trustees at Paterson's behest...

rest of the story at http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny...0,4669173.story

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I figure I get the ball rolling on this thread. This has been posted tonight on Newsday.com:

Sources: Big cuts in guv's budget, but no tax boost

BY JAMES T. MADORE | james.madore@newsday.com

5:44 PM EST, December 14, 2008

ALBANY - With New York hit hard by the recession, Gov. David A. Paterson Tuesday will propose a budget for 2009-10 that cuts services and increases fees - but not income taxes, sources said.

The reductions will affect everything from hospitals and schools to building projects and social welfare. And state employees are bracing for layoffs as agencies are consolidated.

"There isn't a single area of our government that is not going to feel the pain," Paterson said last week in an e-mail to supporters. He added that he would "take the steps necessary to keep our state solvent."

The cuts will be deepest to Medicaid reimbursement and school aid because they account for more than half the money under state officials' control. SUNY and CUNY also are likely to be cut more, and lawmakers still haven't OK'd a $600 increase in tuition approved recently by trustees at Paterson's behest...

rest of the story at http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny...0,4669173.story

The SUNY board budget request is generally available here: http://www.suny.edu/GovtRelations/state/Budget.cfm.

But for some reason, the site has been down for a week. I've email, but to no avail.

I don't think we'll get anywhere near the $60 million requested. I'm no expert in NYS government, but I think its a mistake to even ask for it. $10 million would do wonders to University Field. 5,000 seats on the away side (to be used as a home side), field turf field and a new video replay scoreboard.

I bet $10 mm could "slip" right in that budget. Its a rounding error.

This link should work:

http://www.suny.edu/files/sunynewsfiles/pd...getBook0809.pdf

Requested is an amount set for capital projects and maintenance, with %2.5 of that amount going towards SUNY "athletics".

Around page 32 of the document is the capital expenditures portion of the Budget Book 2008--09.

This link should work:

Requested is an amount set for capital projects and maintenance, with %2.5 of that amount going towards SUNY "athletics".

Around page 32 of the document is the capital expenditures portion of the Budget Book 2008--09.

I believe that is last year's budget request. We're in to 2009-2010 I think.

This link should work:

My bad!

This link should work:

My bad!

No worries...I've been looking everywhere for it. Last year it was up soon after the SUNY board passed their request. This year not so fast.

I'd really like to know what was requested by UA.

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBu...blications.html

SUNY Construction

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBu...uctionFund.html

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBu...lan/FinPlan.pdf top of page 446

Have fun looking through the proposal.

Higher Ed:

"Capital Investment: Continues the $9.3 billion multi-year capital plan enacted in 2008-09, including $834 million in new appropriations for critical maintenance projects."

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBu...tiveBudget.html

SUNY Construction

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBu...uctionFund.html

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBu...lan/FinPlan.pdf top of page 446

Have fun looking through the proposal.

Higher Ed:

"Capital Investment: Continues the $9.3 billion multi-year capital plan enacted in 2008-09, including $834 million in new appropriations for critical maintenance projects."

Thanks! A couple of quick highlights I grabbed from the "Briefing Book" which I like:

Reduce Subsidy for SUNY Hospitals. The Executive Budget includes $129 million for annual subsidy payments to SUNY’s hospitals at Brooklyn, Stony Brook and Syracuse. This reflects a $25 million reduction from the 2008-09 Academic Fiscal Year level. (2009-10 Savings: $24 million; 2010-11 Savings: $33 million)

Eliminate State Financial Support for the Neil D. Levin Institute. The Levin Institute is a program within SUNY that focuses on developing managers who can work across borders and cultures. It employs approximately 23 staff and has its state-owned headquarters on East 55th Street in Manhattan, which was purchased for the Institute in February 2005. The Institute is not accredited and has no students of its own. This action would eliminate all $3.1 million in state operating support for the Levin Institute for the 2009-10 Academic Fiscal Year. The building will retain the name of Neil D. Levin and it is expected that the SUNY Board of Trustees will take appropriate action to ensure that Mr. Levin’s service and sacrifice continues to be recognized. (2009-10 Savings: $2 million; 2010-11 Savings: $3 million)

Reduce Support for SUNY Statutory Colleges at Cornell and Alfred Universities. State support is provided through SUNY to five statutory colleges, four at Cornell University and the College of Ceramics at Alfred University. In addition, the state provides support for Cornell’s land grant mission. A reduction of $6 million on an academic year basis is recommended. After this reduction, in the 2009-10 Academic Fiscal Year, $100 million would be provided for Cornell’s statutory colleges, $55 million for Cornell land grant and $10.4 million for the College of Ceramics. (2009-10 Savings: $4 million; 2010-11 Savings: $6 million)

Align TAP Awards with Course Load. Currently, students taking less than 15 credits per semester exhaust their TAP eligibility limits prior to graduating. To remedy this, the Executive Budget would provide pro-rated TAP awards, with a 15-credit basis for full awards, for students taking between 10 and 14 credits per semester, ensuring the continuation of TAP eligibility through graduation. Students taking less than 10 credits would continue to be eligible for Part-time TAP awards. (2009-10 Savings: $22 million; 2010-11 Savings: $31 million)

Increase Academic Standards for Continued TAP Eligibility. The Executive Budget would increase minimum academic standards for students to maintain TAP eligibility. Such students will now be required to earn at least 18 credits and a 1.8 Grade Point Average (GPA) after two semesters of study. Current standards would remain unchanged for remedial students. (2009-10 Savings: $5 million; 2010-11 Savings: $7 million)

Establish SUNY Supplemental Operating Account. SUNY is expected to end 2008-09 with a cash balance in its primary non-tuition revenue account of approximately $450 million. The University has indicated that reductions in state support sustained in 200809 and any further loss of such support in 2009-10 could result in enrollment and workforce reductions. This action would set aside $75 million of SUNY’s cash balances to preserve undergraduate programs and faculty positions.

Authorize the State University of New York (SUNY) and the City University of New York (CUNY) to establish differential tuition rates for non-resident students.

Bad:

Reduce or Eliminate Support for Various University-wide Programs and Institutes: The Executive Budget recommends $23 million of savings associated with the reduction or elimination of various line item University-wide programs and institutes. Programs with State funding reduced by 15 percent include: the Empire Innovation Program, High Need and High Need Nursing Programs, Native American Program, Rockefeller Institute of Government (RIG) Operations, RIG Statistical Year Book, RIG Philip Weinberg Senior Fellowship, Charter Schools Institute Operations, University Computer Center, Educational Technology Initiative, Library Automation, Small Business Development Centers, University Telecommunications Network, Tuition Reimbursement, State University Student Tuition Assistance, Child Care Centers, Empire State Scholarships, Just for the Kids at the University at Albany, Graduate Diversity Fellowships, and the Office of Diversity and Educational Equity. Programs with State funding reduced by 50 percent include: the Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering at the University at Buffalo, Non-doctoral Graduate Research Initiatives, Library Conservation and Preservation Research Institute on Addictions at the University at Buffalo, Sea Grant Institute at Stony Brook University, Two Year College Development, Stony Brook University/Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory/Brookhaven National Laboratory Research Alliance Planning Study, Academic Equipment Replacement, Development Centers for Business and Industry, New York Network, Strategic Partnership for Industrial Resurgence, Faculty Diversity Program, University-Wide Governance, and Student Computing Access. Programs with State funding recommended for elimination include: the Sportsmanship Institute at Cortland, Nanoscale Science and Engineering at the University at Albany, and the Appointments Program at SUNY Maritime.

Current Appropriations

$33,927,000 for Campus-wide projects, including "Renovate Health Center" (could there be funding included in there?)

$33,755,000 for Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Relocation of the Data Center.

Reappropriations include (These are the amounts from last year's (and before) budget appropriations)

Construct Business School ........ 54,000,000

Campus Center Expansion/ Improvements ..................... 30,000,000

Campus Revitalization/Site Improvements, Phase II ............ 5,000,000

SBU had these last year as well:

Stadium Expansion .................. 2,700,000

Stony Brook Law School Project .... 45,000,000

University/Basketball Arena ....... 12,300,000

This is a bit off topic but looking at the budget proposal....my God....how many more ways can they find to tax the people who live in this state. I honestly have never considered leaving NY but the wife and I will have to have a very serious conversation regarding what the future holds for us in this state.

This is a bit off topic but looking at the budget proposal....my God....how many more ways can they find to tax the people who live in this state. I honestly have never considered leaving NY but the wife and I will have to have a very serious conversation regarding what the future holds for us in this state.

NJ is the same way (where I am now).

And just wait until NYC tries to bring back the commuter tax....I'll be on my way to Dallas TX faster than I can send an email to my boss. Why in the world would I work in NYC if I can make the same take home in Dallas where real estate is 1/2 the price.

Any chance these 2008 appropriations can be changed this year? It just seems so unfair that SBU is getting money to expand their NEW stadium when UA has a field that most high schools would be embarrased to play on.

Sen LaValle will no longer be the chairman, right? Albany is historically a Democratic district. The new majority should support the state capitol's SUNY Center.

Any chance these 2008 appropriations can be changed this year? It just seems so unfair that SBU is getting money to expand their NEW stadium when UA has a field that most high schools would be embarrased to play on.

Sen LaValle will no longer be the chairman, right? Albany is historically a Democratic district. The new majority should support the state capitol's SUNY Center.

No they (2008 approps) won't be changed. I am pretty sure what is unfair is people loosing their jobs, not being able to feed their children and so on.. not that UA hasn't gotten a better field yet. Take everything into perspective.

As long as the Dems do control the Senate then LaValle won't be the chairman. But I spoke with someone today who works for a Sen dem and they said it is honestly up in the air still... they elect the Majority Leader on Jan 7th or 9th I can't remember.

No they (2008 approps) won't be changed. I am pretty sure what is unfair is people loosing their jobs, not being able to feed their children and so on.. not that UA hasn't gotten a better field yet. Take everything into perspective.

I agree with this paragraph.....listen, we'd all LOVE to see a shiny new stadium on campus but it's time we take a long serious look at whats going on in this state. Personally for me....the stadium concerns are quickly dropping on the priority list. There are talks of significantly cutting SUNY's budget which would impact the core purpose of why SUNY even exists and that is to offer higher education for a reasonable price. I've come to the realization that we will probably have to do with the current garbage field or at the most a minor aesthetic makeover for 5+ years at least.

Our best chance at public funding was last year....we didn't make the cut. At this point we'll either have to look within to the large alumni base or not do anything and stand pat. government is going to be of NO or very minimal assistance. They can't give what they don't have!

As far as donations go.....we haven't seen anything for a long time. I've been on this board and a close follower of UA Athletics for 3 or 4 years now.....the silance is deafening. There are endless studies or so it seems, the dates keep changing, there is no material available on the project, who knows exactly what if anything is being done. Hell, we can't even get a permanent president....but I digress.

Archived