UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Would any president do?

scrabbleship

Have we gotten to the point that we'd take the first joe schmo off the street to be UA's president rather than wait for something that will never come? Being crippled vs. Simpson and UB is embarrassing and we should just have someone, anyone as president as long as they're for growing the school. Would we take a Faustian bargain for the good of UA?

Just putting this sad scenario in front of everyone.

Let's hope and pray that this activity is leading to something worthwhile.

January 9, 2009 - The Presidential Search Committee met.

December 19, 2008 - The Presidential Search Committee met.

December 18, 2008 - The Presidential Search Committee met.

December 15, 2008 - The Presidential Search Committee met.

December 10, 2008 - The Presidential Search Committee met.

November 11, 2008 - The Presidential Search Committee met.

October 28, 2008 - The Presidential Search Committee met.

October 14, 2008 - The Presidential Search Committee met.

October 6, 2008:

"As the Fall semester gets underway, I am pleased to announce that the search for the President of the University at Albany is continuing with renewed energy and wanted to highlight for you several decisions by the University Council.

First, we decided to engage Dr. Stephen Portch, former Chancellor of the University System of Georgia, to advise the Council and the Search Committee and to assist the Search Consultants. He has done similar assignments for several major universities and most recently successfully helped SUNY IT. Many of you are familiar with Dr. Portch from his previous work for the University, including as Chair of the Board of Visitors. Second, we have engaged Parker Executive Search to assist us in our efforts. This is a nationally respected firm with excellent experience in conducting Presidential searches, and we were impressed with their commitment to our search.

The Presidential Search Committee expects to be considering candidates by the end of the Fall semester, with recommendations presented to the University Council by Spring 2009. We are committed to identifying and recruiting the best possible candidate to serve as the 18th President of the University at Albany, and we are confident that we have the necessary expertise to help us.

The Search Committee met with Dr. Portch and Parker Executive Search on September 24, 2008 to discuss the search process, position requirements, the needs of the University, and timeline. We strongly encourage you to take part in the process by submitting nominations and recommendations to Parker Executive Search as they plan to actively recruit top candidates into our search. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to December 1, 2008."

Daniel C. Tomson

Chair, Presidential Search Committee

"Any president" will most certainly not do.

UA needs a leader. UA needs a person with vision and passion that will take UB President Simpson head on. UA needs a president that will make the case that this is a national university. UA needs a leader that will change opinions about UA. This university is not a teacher's college. This university is as important to the Capitol District as UB is to Western New York. How can Western New York be desperately relying on UB while the Capitol District doesn't give an 'F' if UA comes or goes?

UA needs a leader that will take charge and make the case for greatness. I'd rather wait years than get a spineless caretaker president.

"Any president" will most certainly not do.

UA needs a leader. UA needs a person with vision and passion that will take UB President Simpson head on. UA needs a president that will make the case that this is a national university. UA needs a leader that will change opinions about UA. This university is not a teacher's college. This university is as important to the Capitol District as UB is to Western New York. How can Western New York be desperately relying on UB while the Capitol District doesn't give an 'F' if UA comes or goes?

UA needs a leader that will take charge and make the case for greatness. I'd rather wait years than get a spineless caretaker president.

AGREED.

What I am worried about though is waiting all this time and still getting someone who is sub-par. I hope the time the panel took on this decision pays off with a top-notch leader.

Latest update:

To the University at Albany Community Happy New Year, and welcome back to the Spring 2009 semester! I am pleased to let you know that the search for UAlbany's 18th President has been making good progress. The Presidential SearchCommittee has maintained its work and focus and has identified a pool of presidential candidates of substance and excellence. Plans are now underway for the short list of finalists to meet with representatives of UAlbany faculty, student, staff, Foundation and Alumni constituencies. In order to retain these high quality finalists and to protect their positions in their present institutions, the search committee has established the provision that the finalist interviews will occur with a condition of complete confidentiality and discretion. All information regarding candidates, including their identity, must remain confidential. Consequently, there will be no public announcements about these interviews. I trust that you will understand the need for this prerequisite, which is essential for the successful completion of the interview and selection process. The Search committee believes that this process - while not public - will allow for meaningful and constructive input from the UAlbany community. I thank the members of the Search Committee for their commitment to UAlbany and for personal dedication to this lengthy search process. I will be providing you with a further campus update soon.

With regards,

Daniel C. Tomson

Chair, Presidential Search Committee

The funny (sad) thing is that America can run an entire US presidential election and the winner can get his entire cabinet in place in less time than UA can choose a president.

Was Obama even a US senator yet when we started this presidential search process?

How dysfunctional is SUNY (NY generally)?

So now we have a packaging plant owned and operated by SUNY Albany on the SUNYIT campus? It's like a Ohio State facility on a Ball State campus. Have you heard of something like this done elsewhere? One university should own this thing and it should be on their campus. This makes as much sense as a SUNY Oswego campus in Syracuse. I've had idiots tell me that they went to Syracuse, when they mean the Syracuse campus of SUNY Oswego.

Merge these campuses under larger universities and give them names that aren't confusing (ala Michigan State style).

This whole SUNY system needs a major reoranization.

Sorry that was a bit off topic. Yes, I agree with you UAalum72. It looks like SUNTIT is about to eat UAlbany/Capitol Region's lunch. Unbelievable!

The funny (sad) thing is that America can run an entire US presidential election and the winner can get his entire cabinet in place in less time than UA can choose a president.

That's a stupid (if I can be blunt) analogy when they are completely different processes where one is bound by timeline rules of the US constitution and other does not.

There are reasons why a college president search takes so long, and now that the boss of the president will be chosen soon (Chancellor), it's logical that the president search will be jump started. Again as reiterated throughout other threads on this topic, who would want a job where they don't know who their boss will be? Nominees will want to know who they are working for, and that isn't too much to ask.

That's a stupid (if I can be blunt) analogy when they are completely different processes where one is bound by timeline rules of the US constitution and other does not.

There are reasons why a college president search takes so long, and now that the boss of the president will be chosen soon (Chancellor), it's logical that the president search will be jump started. Again as reiterated throughout other threads on this topic, who would want a job where they don't know who their boss will be? Nominees will want to know who they are working for, and that isn't too much to ask.

I respectfully disagree. A campus president does not work "for" the chancellor. He/she works "for" the students, faculty, staff of a specific campus and serves at the pleasure of the campus board of trustees. Campus presidents work "with" (more or less, depending on the president and that persons relationship with members of the legislature for example) the chancellor.

I believe other SUNY campuses appointed presidents during this period (though I didn't go and look it up).

In my opinion, based on 35+ years in higher ed, 3 years is way too long to go without a sitting president (Kermit Hall died in August 2006 and his successor is unlikey to take the reins until August '09).

Stupid analogy?

You may not think the analogy is appropriate or agree with it.

But, it's not necessary to be disrespectful in responding to someone's opinion.

After all, it's only an analogy, and the only thing you need to take out of it is the

fact that we are ALL disappointed that we STILL don't have a President.

We've been without a University President/Leader/Advocate for 2 1/2 years.

That's a hell of a long time.

I respectfully disagree. A campus president does not work "for" the chancellor. He/she works "for" the students, faculty, staff of a specific campus and serves at the pleasure of the campus board of trustees. Campus presidents work "with" (more or less, depending on the president and that persons relationship with members of the legislature for example) the chancellor.

I believe that's a bit inaccurate, although I guess it would depend on a person's definition of the phrase 'works for.'...the SUNY Board of Trustees has the authority to name its campuses' presidents with their vote of approval, after a candidate is officially recommended by the Chancellor....a campus' 'Board of Trustees,' (UAlbany's University Council) does not have that final authority...within the SUNY System, a campus president 'reports' to the Chancellor...so while a campus president might 'work for' students, faculty, staff, etc., their 'boss' is the Chancellor.

I guess it would be a bit analagous to a serviceman/woman in the military...they obviously 'work for' US citizens, but their boss/who they ultimately report to is obviously their Commander-In-Chief, the President...so who do they 'work' for?

I believe University officials have expressed, both publically and privately, that the current lack of a Chancellor has had a direct impact on the search committee's ability to attract a candidate of the caliber that this University demands...the same situation exists with the Chancellor search...Carl Hayden, the current chair of the Board of Trustees and search committee, has said the state's budgetary/political environment has extended the search with a number of 'finalists' eventually backing out because of the state's poor situation.

Hopefully the recent news of developments with both the SUNY Chancellor and UAlbany President brings good news soon...

• 2 weeks later...
How dysfunctional is SUNY (NY generally)?

So now we have a packaging plant owned and operated by SUNY Albany on the SUNYIT campus? It's like a Ohio State facility on a Ball State campus. Have you heard of something like this done elsewhere? One university should own this thing and it should be on their campus. This makes as much sense as a SUNY Oswego campus in Syracuse. I've had idiots tell me that they went to Syracuse, when they mean the Syracuse campus of SUNY Oswego.

Merge these campuses under larger universities and give them names that aren't confusing (ala Michigan State style).

This whole SUNY system needs a major reoranization.

Sorry that was a bit off topic. Yes, I agree with you UAalum72. It looks like SUNTIT is about to eat UAlbany/Capitol Region's lunch. Unbelievable!

T-U article today says the plant is likely to be in Albany

Archived