UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

AE Tournament Matchups

Matchup Preferences  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

During the regular season, we split with both.

We beat UVM on the road, 82-77 and lost to them at home (Big Purple Growl) 79-70.

We beat Boston at home, 62-61 and lost to them on the road 77-67. When we beat them at home, Corey Lowe was serving a 1-game suspension.

If we beat UMBC on Sunday, we play #3 Boston.

If we lose to UMBC on Sunday, we play #2 UVM.

Conference Stats

Stat

Team - Number (AE Rank)

UVM - 76.8 (1)

Boston - 69.7 (3)

Scoring Defense

UVM - 64.1 (T1)

Boston - 64.1 (T1)

FT Percentage

UVM - .699 (4)

Boston - .668 (7)

FG Percentage

UVM - .485 (1)

Boston - .442 (4)

FG Percentage Defense

UVM - .419 (3)

Boston - .398 (1)

3-Point FG Percentage

UVM - .368 (2)

Boston - .372 (1)

3-Point FG Percentage Defense

UVM - .360 (8)

Boston - .297 (1)

Rebounds

UVM - 34.7 (5)

Boston - 35.1 (4)

Rebounds Allowed

UVM - 33.4 (4)

Boston - 36.8 (8)

Blocked Shots

UVM - 4.9 (1)

Boston - 3.8 (3)

Assists

UVM - 15.9 (1)

Boston - 13.0 (3)

Steals

UVM - 8.5 (1)

Boston - 6.3 (6)

Individual Conference Stats (UVM)

Probable Starters

G - Mike Trimboli (16.0 ppg, 3.5 rebounds, 4.9 apg, 2.3 spg)

G - Nick Vier (6.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.5 apg, 0.9 spg)

F - Colin McIntosh (12.1 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1 apg, 0.9 spg, 1.5 bpg)

F - Garvey Young (6.9 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.2 apg)

F - Marqus Blakely (15.3 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.8 spg, 2.4 blg)

Top Bench Options

Maurice Joseph (7.9 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.1 apg,0.8 spg)

Joey Accaoui (4.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.7 apg)

Evan Fjeld (5.3 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.7 spg, 0.7 bpg)

Individual Conference Stats (Boston)

Probable Starters

G - Corey Lowe (16.7 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.2 spg)

G - Matt Wolff (4.3 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.4 spg)

G - John Holland (21.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.4 apg, 2.0 spg)

F - Scott Brittain (11.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.7 spg, 1.6 bpg)

F - Jake O'Brien (12.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.9 bpg)

Top Bench Options

Jeff Pelage (2.9 ppg, 2.1 rpg)

Marques Johnson (1.6 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.6 apg)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give me Boston....UVM is a nightmare for us, they are to deep a team who just keeps rolling players off the bench. BU has their HUGE two in Lowe and Holland and a couple of decent pieces but get one of those two in foul trouble or have one of them have an off night and they are much more beatable.

UVM has to many pieces and they are still my pick to go to the NCAA's. This is Trim's last chance!

Give me Boston....UVM is a nightmare for us, they are to deep a team who just keeps rolling players off the bench. BU has their HUGE two in Lowe and Holland and a couple of decent pieces but get one of those two in foul trouble or have one of them have an off night and they are much more beatable.

UVM has to many pieces and they are still my pick to go to the NCAA's. This is Trim's last chance!

UVM

I went with Boston University. While I almost went with UVM because of success against them over the past two years, next week is not the past two years, and I'm afraid we just don't have the offense to keep up with UVM.

With Boston University, we play tough perimeter defense, we at least have a shot at pulling out a close one against Boston University. Also, remember last year how Boston University, as the #6 seed, defeated us as the #3 seed. Wouldn't mind a rematch with BU with the seedings swapped from last year.

Some good points made on the ms blog by some fans. Brown used ST Bonna as leverage to squeeze money out of us. With these past two seasons he surely does not deserve a raise. Brown never takes the blame and I feel he has built up a large ego. At what point will someone on the coaching staff be held accountable. I'm not saying that I want a team built like Binghamton, cause that just disgusts me, especially after last night.

I know this is getting ahead of ourselves here, and fellow posters often feel that it portrays doom and gloom to talk about anything less than a NCAA Tournament Bid, but assuming that doesn't happen for whatever reason, our current RPI sits at #166, with our record of 14-14.

Post-Season Tournaments:

1. NCAA Tournament

We all know what needs to be done for this to happen.

2. NIT

Forget about the NIT; I don't think we can get an at-large for the NIT. Only even possible chance at the NIT would be to beat UMBC, beat Boston Univ., beat UVM, and lose in final to Bingo (of course, if we beat Bingo, NIT is of no consequence). Even then, this likely puts us in the CBI and not the NIT, depending on how many regular season champs also win their conference tournaments. On the other hand, beating UMBC, and then taking out UVM and Boston University might push us up into the 120s, perhaps for RPI, so maybe the NIT is a long-shot, but we just lack quality wins outside the conference this year. I still don't think the NIT will happen. Usually it seems as though a team has to be at least top 100 for a shot at the NIT.

3. CBI

A lot can happen, of course, but it's going to be pretty difficult to get an invitation to the CBI post-season tournament with a RPI anywhere near #166. Maybe we have an outside shot if we beat UMBC, beat BU, beat UVM, and lose in the Conference final to Binghamton (who has a strong RPI). In the event of no NCAA bid, that's what it is going to take for a bid to the CBI in my view.

4. CollegeInsider.Com Post-Season Tournament

BOSTON -- A new men's postseason basketball tournament has been scheduled in March by CollegeInsider.com for 16 teams not chosen for the NCAA and NIT tournaments.

It was announced Monday that the single-elimination tournament will be held at campus sites with teams chosen by a 14-member committee that includes nine former college head coaches.

To be eligible, teams must have a winning record against Division I opponents. Priority will be given to schools whose conferences have fewer than half their teams in the NCAA and NIT. CollegeInsider.com said the NCAA and National Association of Basketball Coaches have been consulted and are aware of the tournament guidelines.

Take note that one of the requirements for this fourth tournament is a winning record against Division I opponents (I assume .500 qualifies). A loss to UMBC would make qualifying for this tournament ONLY possible if we made the America East Championship game. If we lose to UMBC, we go 14-15. If we beat BU but lose to UVM, we're 15-16 and don't qualify. If we lose to UMBC, beat BU, beat UVM, and lose in the America East Title game, we would finish 16-16, and have a shot at this tournament (I think the UMBC loss would take us out of the CBI bid process in this scenario).

In sum, UMBC is a bigger game than we might think! The ramifications of the UMBC game could go beyond just the issue of who we play in the first round of the AE Tournament. With a win over UMBC, the worst we could finish would be 15-15 (if we lost to Boston in the first round). This still might get us close to consideration for the College Insider Tournament. Of course a win over UMBC and Boston puts us at 16-14 (with a loss in the title game making it 16-15; remember, if we win the Title game, all of this other crap is academic).

Just beat UMBC.

There are 97 teams in the NCAA and NIT, so if there are 64 teams in the other post-season tournaments (are there two?) we "might" have a shot. whoopee.

CBI features 16 teams.

College Insider features 16 teams. One advantage we have here is that the College Insider Tournament seems to feature smaller conference teams rather than throwing in the #10 Big East team or whatever.

So, it looks like 97 + 32 = 129. There's no question that we have some business to take care of if we want to make any of these tournaments.

I still think it's going to take a win over UMBC, and AT LEAST one win in the AE Tournament to have a shot at the College Insider Tournament (or CBI).

In all likelihood, we'll need wins over UMBC, Boston, UVM, and hopefully play Bingo in the tournament final because they have a good RPI. Of course we want to win over Bingo and go dancing, but if we at least made it that far and fell, Bingo's RPI helps vault us into a post-season tourney, I bet!

I also think that if we lose to UMBC, we might as well just hope for a 3-game run through the AE Tournament because the other tournaments won't be a possibility, unless we sqeek into the College Insider tournament after losing to UMBC, but beating Boston and UVM. Tough though because the ability to move dramatically up and down in RPI would seem to reduce as the season progresses.

There are 97 teams in the NCAA and NIT, so if there are 64 teams in the other post-season tournaments (are there two?) we "might" have a shot. whoopee.

CBI features 16 teams.

College Insider features 16 teams. One advantage we have here is that the College Insider Tournament seems to feature smaller conference teams rather than throwing in the #10 Big East team or whatever.

So, it looks like 97 + 32 = 129. There's no question that we have some business to take care of if we want to make any of these tournaments.

I still think it's going to take a win over UMBC, and AT LEAST one win in the AE Tournament to have a shot at the College Insider Tournament (or CBI).

In all likelihood, we'll need wins over UMBC, Boston, UVM, and hopefully play Bingo in the tournament final because they have a good RPI. Of course we want to win over Bingo and go dancing, but if we at least made it that far and fell, Bingo's RPI helps vault us into a post-season tourney, I bet!

I also think that if we lose to UMBC, we might as well just hope for a 3-game run through the AE Tournament because the other tournaments won't be a possibility, unless we sqeek into the College Insider tournament after losing to UMBC, but beating Boston and UVM. Tough though because the ability to move dramatically up and down in RPI would seem to reduce as the season progresses.

why would we make the CBI or the CollegeInsider if we are standing 6th in our conference right now. We have UVM BU SBU UNH who all are better than us. why would we go and not them.

CBI features 16 teams.

why would we make the CBI or the CollegeInsider if we are standing 6th in our conference right now. We have UVM BU SBU UNH who all are better than us. why would we go and not them.

Because of RPI ranking and, in a possible scenario, wins over UMBC, Boston University, and UVM. (we'd be 2-1 over BU and UVM; as to Stonybrook, I didn't check their RPI or SOS or non-conference schedule and results. Also, UNH has a worse overall record than us and probably a lower RPI, so I think it's possible with the wins outlined above to still make a post-season tournament ahead of some of, or all of, the teams you mentioned).

EDIT: Here's why. Let's say Bingo wins the Tourney and goes to NCAAs (even if they lose, they at least go to the NIT). If we beat Boston and UVM (and thereby have 2-1 records against each and in the process improve our RPI), I think we get the nod over those schools. What do I know though.

RPI/TEAM/RECORD/OVERALL RECORD

92 Vermont 12-3 22-7

93 Binghamton 13-3 19-8

145 Boston U. 10-5 16-12

166 Albany 6-9 14-14

178 Stony Brook 8-7 15-12

199 MD Baltimore Cty. 6-9 11-16

226 New Hampshire 7-8 11-15

278 Maine 4-11 8-19

305 Hartford

Also, remember last year how Boston University, as the #6 seed, defeated us as the #3 seed. Wouldn't mind a rematch with BU with the seedings swapped from last year.

Part of my reason also any thing that involves us winning on Sunday I'm in favor of. Really hoping we can get healthy during the next week.

Also, remember last year how Boston University, as the #6 seed, defeated us as the #3 seed. Wouldn't mind a rematch with BU with the seedings swapped from last year.

Part of my reason also any thing that involves us winning on Sunday I'm in favor of. Really hoping we can get healthy during the next week.

That's a good point DP; there are still 8 days before the Tournament starts. Lots of time to heal up.

Archived