UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA vs. UMBC

With news/blog posting overloads I thought I would start this thread, and here is a post I saw Mark had about tomorrows game.

Does this mean Jimmie Covington will body slam someone?

March 7, 2009 at 6:37 pm by Mark Singelais, Staff writer

Maryland-Baltimore County coach Randy Monroe sounded like World Wrestling Entertainment chief Vince McMahon as he talked about Sunday’s semifinal matchup against UAlbany.

The defending champion Retrievers advanced Saturday with a 79-75 overtime win over Boston University.

The teams split their two regular-season meetings, with the Retrievers winning 68-64 in Baltimore last Sunday.

“The place should be rocking,’’ Monroe said. “I’ve got goosebumps already … I don’t see it being anything less than a knockdown, drag-out, alley fight in the America East Conference. It’s almost like WWE Smackdown. You’re just going to see two teams playing hard and that’s just the tip of the iceberg as far as what the America East Conference is all about and how it’s getting better and better.’’

So, after a night of reflection (And celebratory drinking may I add) these are my thoughts heading into today's showdown with UMBC.

-Yesterday's game against Vermont was the 2nd best game I have had the honor of seeing in my 3 years as a student here (The first being us beating UVM 2 years a go to go to the tourney). Sefcu was absolutely rocking, and the battle on the court was one of the most intense and entertaining games I have ever had the honor of watching. Only regret I have is that I wish more UA students were there (Although the ones that were did a great job)

- I'm absolutely ecstatic UMBC knocked off BU. Personally, I thought BU was the scariest team in the conference (Not best, but scariest). I say that because they have two guys who are absolute STUDS and can drop 30 on you on any given night. I feel it would have been a real struggle against that team today and I am glad we don't have to deal with them.

-That being said, I feel a little bit uneasy about facing UMBC. If we play how we did in the first half yesterday against Vermont we should walk away with this one convincingly. However, as we all know by now this is one of the most schizophrenic teams you will ever see, evidenced by the fact that we only scored 15 points the entire second half. If the second half team shows up today, this could be a long day for us.

To wrap things up, I really hope we come out and play hard today and do the things that make us successful. I'm looking for a big rebound differential today, and hastings to see a lot of minutes trying to wrap up greene or Proctor. I hope everyone makes it out to the game, and SEFCU rocks louder and harder than it did yesterday!! LET'S GO UAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Congrats to UMBC....what can you do other then tip your hat to them!

While I'm sad that this season has come to an end and there won't be any basketball for many many month's....I am somewhat relieved....this season was both exhilarating and frustrating to watch at times.

I know there will be plenty of time to discuss the future in the coming weeks and month's but we should have a very talented team coming back next season if most of these kids stick around and if they can stay healthy.

Thank you to the departing seniors....Brian, Jimmy and Jerel. All class acts and have been allot of fum to watch.

I know it's an odd question, but does anybody know the NCAA practice rules? By that I mean, when is the last tme the team can have an organized practice?

Very good question. I looked here, http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PD...ae20a6f90ed.pdf, but this NCAA Basketball Rule book didn't seem to cover it (I did a word search for "practice").

Here is the general NCAA rules page: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=802

With a RPI ranking in the low 160s that still should go up because we have wins against UMBC and UMBC (UMBC's RPI will go up some just by playing Binghamton again; a UMBC win might help us more RPI-wise because it will have more of an impact on UMBC than a loss for Bingo), we still might have a shot at a post-season tournament (not the NCAA or NIT, but the other two).

Archived