UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Season Ticket Renewals

Got this e-mail yesterday afternoon......

Dear Valued UAlbany Season Ticket Holder,

Another exciting year of Great Danes’ athletics is coming to an end. As we make every effort to provide you with the best customer service possible, I am writing to you to inform you of a special ticket discount for the 2009-2010 seasons.

For the upcoming year we will be raising our ticket prices for all sports. We would like to reward you for being a loyal fan to the Great Danes by offering you the opportunity to pay the 2008-2009 season ticket rates. All you need to do is renew your order by June 1, 2009. This special discount will include the following prices:

· Football-Reserved Season Tickets: $30 (Savings: $5)

· Basketball-Courtside Season Tickets: $250 (Savings: $50)

· Basketball-Chairback Season Tickets: $150 (Savings: $25)

· Basketball-Reserved Season Tickets: $100 (Savings: $25)

· Basketball-Reserved Child Season Tickets: $30 (Savings: $5)

As a current season ticket holder, if you choose not to renew your tickets before the June 1 deadline we will still hold your seats for you until August 1, 2009. At that time, all un-renewed season tickets will be released for sale.

Would you like to upgrade your seats? Then select the upgrade section that you are interested in when you return your season ticket payment. Your name will be put on the upgrade waiting list. If seats become available you will be notified and will only have to pay the difference in the seat prices.

Reserved season parking passes for the SEFCU Arena parking lot will also be available for purchase at this time. We nearly sold out of these passes this past year so if you wish to purchase a parking pass, please select this option on your ticket renewal form that is enclosed.

Attached is your Season Ticket Renewal form. If you wish to renew before June 1 to receive the special discount then please return the renewal form along with payment to the address provided. You may also complete your renewal order over the phone by calling the Great Danes’ ticket office at (518)437-4415.

I would also like to take this time to introduce myself as the new ticket manager for UAlbany’s athletic program. As a season ticket holder, you are this department’s number one priority and I will strive to keep an open line of communication with you to make your experiences with us the best that they could possibly be. For any questions or concerns that you may have please feel free to contact me at any time by phone

I got it as well...and a few things I noticed that made me shake my head:

1- Couldnt get it right the first time so they resent it.

2- In this economy putting a JUNE 1 time frame is JUST SILLY. IT should go to July.

3- The number of people on the list

4- THE FACT THAT I KNOW THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE AND THEIR EMAIL. HOW FLIPPIN STUPID IS THE UA ATHLETIC DEPT TO SEND A MASS EMAIL WHEN YOU CAN VIEW EVERYONES EMAIL.

IT IS CALLED BLIND CC PEOPLE.

G-d....the UA Community on a whole has been disappointing of late.

2- In this economy putting a JUNE 1 time frame is JUST SILLY. IT should go to July.

4- THE FACT THAT I KNOW THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE AND THEIR EMAIL. HOW FLIPPIN STUPID IS THE UA ATHLETIC DEPT TO SEND A MASS EMAIL WHEN YOU CAN VIEW EVERYONES EMAIL.

Great points.

Not to mention a price increase in this economy after last season? Was attendance up (supply v. demand)? Have they been paying attention to attendace at sporting events?

I have fast lost ALL hope in the Ath Dept....and I know many have. I still give big kudos to the coaches and people in the fundraising dept. Well...one coach needs to go...but that will happen barring a miracle next year.

• 1 month later...
The form also still references 2006-07. I know that part is for internal use, but I would renew the # of tixs I had in 08-09 irregardless as to the # in 06-07 .

I lost the original form e-mailed to me so I asked and received the form again....the years are now correct on the form. Hey, at least they corrected it!

Thanks for the reminder Bosi. One thing I didn't see in this thread is the guidelines for boosters that I recieved with my ticket information. I'm guessing everyone got that or have I done something that required me to get the guidelines?

Thanks for the reminder Bosi. One thing I didn't see in this thread is the guidelines for boosters that I recieved with my ticket information. I'm guessing everyone got that or have I done something that required me to get the guidelines?

What are the guidelines? I don't remember getting any but who knows....I might be coming down with Alzheimer's

I respectfully disagree (each of us are Danes' fans after all!) with some of the foregoing comments. While I don't disagree with the facts noted by D96 with regard to the season-ticket renewal process, I might differ somewhat as to some of the constructive criticism also noted. To summarize what follows, I am not disappointed with the "UA Community on a whole" in any way right now; rather, I think I'm simply looking forward to a new academic year in a few months. Nonetheless, here's my take on D96's 4 points raised above, which were also discussed (more or less) by other posters herein:

(1) First, as to "1," indeed, the email had to be resent, but so what? An error or mistake? Yes, but this is not an error that, in my view, warrants any discussion, as I don't think much came of it. If I recall correctly, the second e-mail was sent out not too long after the first. In sum, harmless error and error that I have made often myself. It happens!

(2) As to 2, whether or not a June 1 deadline as opposed to a July 1 deadline is "silly" or irrational (or otherwise unwise) is a conclusion I really can't make. I have to defer to D96 on this one. On the other hand, who knows what kind of internal processes or accounting has to take place that led to the June 1 deadline. I suspect that June 1 probably wasn't just an arbitrary date that the Athletic Department "pulled out of a hat."

In any event, D96's point is a valid one, and perhaps an idea for the future would be to not require full payment by June 1, but, rather, require only a substantial deposit for season tickets by June 1. That way, people can have more time to pay in full the price for the season tickets, and the Athletic Department can obtain an early "head count" insofar as season tickets are concerned.

Then, perhaps full payment for the season tickets could be tendered by the date on which season tickets go on sale to the general public, which sometime in August or so (I'm totally guessing because I'm not sure when this date is).

So, by requiring a substantial deposit towards season tickets ("substantial deposit" could mean whatever you all think is appropriate), the Department could hopefully achieve the following: (1) allow season ticket holders to renew their seats, of course; (2) give the season ticket holders extra time (beyond June 1), in this economy (or any economy), to pay for their seats in full; (3) still give the Department an idea of number of tickets sold, etc., or expected to be sold, by June 1; and (4) actually wind up giving the season ticket holders even more time to pay the full price of the tickets by extending the full-payment date to the date (or shortly before) that tickets go on sale to the general public. Said differently, the season ticket holders could now have until, let's say, sometime later in July or even August to pay the full price of the tickets, which is even better than the July 1 deadline argued for above.

Of course, the downside is that the school would not have full payment by June 1, but an idea to be explored is whether they would want to retain the deposit made by June 1 if the full price of the season tickets is not paid by August. Alternatively, the substantial deposit could be returned to the fan, or the deposit could be returned to the fan in the event that those seats are purchased by someone else (i.e., mitigation of damages or loss).

(3) As to the number of people on the list: who cares? Why is this relevant one way or another? There may be some harm done regarding the disclosure of the number of people on the list, but I am currently at a loss as to what that actual harm might be. But I am open to being persuaded otherwise by those who know more about this than I.

(4) D96 is right about this one in that with most mass e-mails these days---and as I understand it---everyone who receives the e-mail typically receives it as a blind carbon copy or "BCC." Were this an e-mail addressed to all people with, e.g., Swine Flu in Albany County (and thus revealing privileged medical information or other sensitive information about oneself), I would be on the front lines with D96 in federal and/or state court. But I fail to see the privacy interest in one's name being on the season-ticket holder renewal list for UAlbany basketball.

I do respect others' view regarding this issue insofar as a fan does not want his or her name disclosed. But where's the privacy interest, harm, or sensitive nature of our names being on the list. Said differently, what's the harm or big deal about it? Many of the season-ticket holders also sign up for Varsity Club (and other general UAlbany) events on the Internet, and if I recall correctly, a list of who's attending typically reveals not only the names of the alumnus or alumna who is attending but also the names of their guests. Many of our names also appear on the lists for the Big Purple Growl and Varsity Club pre-game events (though our names are not disclosed to one another in these scenarios), so, again, I guess I just don't see the big deal as to the "BCC" error, but I do recognize that e-mails like this are typically sent out via BCC because it avoids this discussion in the first place, which is exactly what D96 is probably trying to note, and I would agree with him completely on that! :)

How many days until UAlbany hoops? These NBA playoffs are killing me ... ugh, it's painful for me to watch.

I do have some criticism I'd like to share, however, and I will get into it in more detail this weekend, but I'm not sure exactly if any criticism---yet---is warranted.

My qualm is the lack of availability of an authentic UAlbany basketball jersey. I have spent hours and hours and hours searching all over the Internet for one (hoping that somewhere along the line Nike or Adidas got the permission to make one from the University). I am aware that there is a practice jersey for sale as of now, and that is good! But we are the only Division I SUNY school not to have authentic basketball jerseys for sale by the school. AND I WANT ONE! :)

Buffalo has their authentic jerseys (or authentic replicas; not sure what the correct terminology is) made by Nike. In fact, I am currently wearing one of these Buffalo basketball jerseys as I type this, and it's a high quality jersey; I like it! You can also choose your number (I went with #11 for Turner Battle, a current assistant coach at UB and former outstanding PG for Buffalo earlier this decade) for the Buffalo jersey (they also sell football jerseys, something our stores should also be doing): http://www.shopubbulls.com/ . Buffalo jerseys cost $49.00, and, as noted, are made by Nike.

Okay, this is where it gets nasty, and you should all get ready to barf. Bingo has BOTH the solid green and solid white jerseys available for purchase through the Athletic Department's online store. Each jersey costs $99, and can be viewed here: Bingo White and Green Jerseys (*Barf*)

Bingo jerseys provide the option of selecting the number and name and are sold for $99.

Stonybrook also has basketball jerseys for sale. They go for $50. It does not appear that one can select the number for these, which come with the number "22." "The Rock" makes these "Official Replica" jerseys, and I would probably rather not have jerseys sold if "The Rock" was making ours. I hope the license goes to Nike (Buffalo and Bingo) or Adidas. Here are the Seawolves' jerseys:

What is a Seawolf anyway?

Archived