UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Does anyone have a hanky they can give Mark?

Well this has certainly been an interesting thread to read...seems like a lot of well plowed ground is being plowed once again...is the T-U biased against U-A? Perhaps...its possible but not provable (unless someone gets hands on memos/emails etc written by George Hearst or other senior TU domos that says in essence "dump on U Albany".)..me thinks however that such is not the case, particularly when one considers all the potential T-U readers that are:

A. Employed by U-A

B. Alums of U-A or

C. Are currenlty enrolled at U-A...

Taken together, A B and C dwarf all other local institutions and represent many thousands of potential T-U readers/subscribers...and in a market of this size it would make no economic sense for its largest paper to be "biased" against it...it may be the perception but my guess is that its simply not the case...

You would think so, but as a former civil servant (a class with probably even more potential readers than U-A) we were always aware of the number of headlines on the order of "State worker, twelve others towed for parking under snowdrift". They may think that no matter how big a group is, the rest of the area is against them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orange Dane

You make some interesting points whether I agree with them all or not I respect your point of view.

You certainly will get no argument from me that Mark S is not as good of a reporter as Pete I. I also am not an expert on the business. I am just going on what I see in the TU and other papers around the country when I travel. I also only see a small sample of Pete's work as most of what he writes is not of particular interest to me and I only see a small sample of how other towns cover their teams, but I still would agree Pete is better than Mark.

As far as your point on all the potential readers for the TU, Alum72 already addressed that. All I would add is that you are correct on the business sense aspect of the Albany market, but if businesses always made the right business decisions we would not have nearly as many economic problems as we have had lately, particularly with the banking industry. (not that all "poor" decisions put a business out of business but my gut feeling is that decision to name the arena is at best neutral for the TU)

As far as SEFCU supporting the Danes, etc. I think that is a little different than the TU supporting Siena college financially. A restaurant, a bank etc is not covering the news of each school. Example, I am much more likely to go try a restaurant that supports the Danes than I am to go try one across the street from the university that gives out free siena or maac tickets. Once I like that first restaurant, I go back quite frequently. But it really doesn't change the restaurants' service. I really don't care if a restaurant near the Knick or in Loudonville caters to Siena fans before or after their games. I am not there anyway and I rely on them in no particular way.

However, a paper is in the business of providing "objective" news. How are you objective, if you are financially supporting one college at the expense of the others? And then, when you are doing that and you don't send a reporter to the all the away games of the school you are not financially covering while you presuming do for siena, I think it is more than fair to question the objectivity of the paper. I also presume that the decision of sending a reporter to the games is not the reporters' decision, but a higher up in the paper.

Just my feelings on this issue. It obviously is one of my "hot" points.

I'm tired of his whole debate and I never usually get tired of a bit of controversy. It is what it is....!

Oh well. Just stop reading the thread then, like the I do with the things that don't interest me and with at least 95% of the stuff on the TU blog.

Bob-

I appreciated your comments...not sending a reporter to some of the games is not good I agree...I am wondering if you could flesh out a little more for me what the manner of the financial support is that you feel TU gives Siena...if the the TU is buying tickets, doing promos etc associated with Siena games then I think maybe we can perhaps as subscribers, make that "nickel move" and demand some parity.. but I want to make sure I understand what you mean before I head off for the windmills...

Thanks!

I'm tired of his whole debate and I never usually get tired of a bit of controversy. It is what it is....!

Oh well. Just stop reading the thread then, like the I do with the things that don't interest me and with at least 95% of the stuff on the TU blog.

bob,

Don't know why your taking it so personally....you and I are pretty much on the same page but I've come to the realization....it is what it is.

Bob-

I appreciated your comments...not sending a reporter to some of the games is not good I agree...I am wondering if you could flesh out a little more for me what the manner of the financial support is that you feel TU gives Siena...if the the TU is buying tickets, doing promos etc associated with Siena games then I think maybe we can perhaps as subscribers, make that "nickel move" and demand some parity.. but I want to make sure I understand what you mean before I head off for the windmills...

Thanks!

I guess you would probably consider it indirect financial support. Free marketing and advertising. A good example would be at the ECAC hockey tournament, when entering hockey fans were given "replica" front page covers featuring the Saints basketball. Is this advertising the TU paper or the Siena aint program. A fine line. And those fans obviously would have preferred an ECAC hockey tournament preview section.

Many promotions for free aint tickets and free maac tickets.

I can't remember how far they have pushed the line in the sense that I don't remember if they are one of the companies that have a luxury box to aint and/or river rat games.

I guess you would probably consider it indirect financial support. Free marketing and advertising. A good example would be at the ECAC hockey tournament, when entering hockey fans were given "replica" front page covers featuring the Saints basketball. Is this advertising the TU paper or the Siena aint program. A fine line. And those fans obviously would have preferred an ECAC hockey tournament preview section.

I can't remember how far they have pushed the line in the sense that I don't remember if they are one of the companies that have a luxury box to aint and/or river rat games.

Wow. You're better off focusing on the problems of UAlbany than you are giving yourself an ulcer about what is going on in downtown Albany.

Start your own newspaper.

Wow. You're better off focusing on the problems of UAlbany than you are giving yourself an ulcer about what is going on in downtown Albany.

Still waiting to hear your explanation on how Will Brown recruiting players outside the northeast like Brent Wilson, Brian Lillis and Jason Siggers was the issue with recruiting.

Soup just so you are aware UA had an injury plagued year last season but until the injury bug reared its ugly head UA was off to one of its best starts ever in the DI era. (UA still went to the semis of the AE tourney.)

Other the that the Danes went 1st Place, 2nd place and tied for second in the previous 3 regulat seasons.

You can preach gloom all you want but things are not as bad as you would like to project.

In fact, last year's dismal 15 wins matched the 3rd highest total since we entered the AE.

Expectations now are high at UA and that is good!!!!!

Brown's recruiting has been all over the map. He does not seem to have established a pipeline from any particular area in the northeast, or anywhere else. He has completely botched his recruiting the last couple of years and never took advantage of the NCAA Tournament appearance success. Now he has 77 players on his roster, players have been run off left and right, he won't talk to his beat writer, he's staring down two more medicore seasons (at best) etc - I'd be annoyed, too, if I was him. He's completely bungled his recruiting. I can't wait until Januaru 2010.....there will be more kids pissed off at lack of playing time, unfulfilled promises of playing time etc etc.

Please, continue to try and defelct blame from where it should actually be placed because it is the highest of comedy. You guys are taking your frustrations out on a beat writer who has been stonewalled for two years - yet you guys complain about lack of coverage when, in fact, it is your own coach who is the problem...Brown is 100% the root cause of the issues with the T-U.

Brown's recruiting has been all over the map. He does not seem to have established a pipeline from any particular area in the northeast, or anywhere else. He has completely botched his recruiting the last couple of years and never took advantage of the NCAA Tournament appearance success. Now he has 77 players on his roster, players have been run off left and right, he won't talk to his beat writer, he's staring down two more medicore seasons (at best) etc - I'd be annoyed, too, if I was him. He's completely bungled his recruiting. I can't wait until Januaru 2010.....there will be more kids pissed off at lack of playing time, unfulfilled promises of playing time etc etc.

Please, continue to try and defelct blame from where it should actually be placed because it is the highest of comedy. You guys are taking your frustrations out on a beat writer who has been stonewalled for two years - yet you guys complain about lack of coverage when, in fact, it is your own coach who is the problem...Brown is 100% the root cause of the issues with the T-U.

MTS2.

Thank you for your "expert" opinion.

I didn't know it was Brown's job to get players from one particular "pipeline".

I had thought his job included recruiting good players no matter where they were from. If he hadn't recruited good players from outside the northeast such as Brian Lillis, Brent Wilson and Jason Siggers, we would probably still be talking about building towards UA's first basketball ncaa appearance.

I totally agree with you that all issues with the TU including Mark S not going to road games are 100% Will Browns fault. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Campbell, our issue with the T-U is not just basketball, but their coverage of all sports (and the rest of the university as well). Since as an 'aint fan you can't see beyond hoops, you probably can't understand this as a problem.

And since you think Brown's screwed up so much, it must also be your opinion that with even a mediocre coach Albany would have beaten Siena four in a row by now.

Who has he run off....we've been over this a couple of times but if you want we can do it again....and I'll point out how many have left Siena, some before the season even started. Your a moron soup! Only one left this summer while many more teams in the AE lost a ton more some even in season...look at Bing, look at UMBC, UVM etc. This is such a tired and overused argument and it simply has no leg to stand one. Mark from the Useless even interviewed the kids who left and with the exception of one who wasn't please most had nothing bad to say. How many times you Siena hacks gonna keep regurgitating the same nonsense? You are the worst of all of them when it comes to this point, just because you keep saying it doesn't mean it's true. You have any facts to back up your position, even Mark couldn't come up with anything....keep trying to convince yourself. No one here is buying it.

Like others have pointed out, the season went terribly wrong after the injuries hit last season, as late as January the Danes were 5 games over .500, went three and one against (UVM, Bing and Boston) to start the AE play. We didn't even have bodies to practice towards the end. You keep making an idiotic statement that CB's tenure will not end well, time will tell but if you are wrong and he get's another contract extension, can you promise to never show your face around these parts again?

As for recruiting with no focus or whatever.....Here is the roster for next season. Most players are from the midwest or NY. Looks like focused recruiting to me. For the championship teams the main players were from midwest and NY. Seems like a trend. As Bosy said if you keep saying something maybe you start to believe it's true.

0 Iati, Jacob G 5-11 170 So. York, Pa. (York Catholic)

1 Glanton, Gavin F 6-7 215 Fr. Forrest City, Ark. (Forrest City)

2 Aronhalt, Logan G/F 6-3 215 RFr. Zanesville, Ohio (Zanesville)

3 Harris, Will F 6-6 230 Sr. Corona, N.Y. (Brewster Academy)

4 Urli, Fran F 6-8 220 Jr. Zagreb, Croatia (Panola College)

5 Tartt, Derrek G 6-3 180 Fr. Chicago, Ill. (Oak Park Fenwick)

10 Black, Mike G 6-0 175 Fr. Chuicago, Ill. (Oak Park Fenwick)

11 Johnson, Mike G 6-1 195 Sr. Brooklyn, N.Y. (Sheepshead Bay)

12 McRae, Scotty F 6-8 210 Sr. Rosedale, N.Y. (Benjamin Cardozo)

21 Metcalf, Blake C 6-9 250 Fr. Camby, Ind. (Plainfield)

22 Watts, Ralph G/F 6-5 195 Fr. Peekskill, N.Y. (Peekskill)

23 Ambrose, Tim G 6-0 220 Jr. Brentwood, N.Y. (Our Savior New American School)

24 Lindfors, Jake F 6-10 225 RFr. Elk Grove Village, Ill. (Driscoll Catholic)

32 Barraza, Louis G 6-5 200 Jr. Phoenix, Ariz. (Trevor Browne)

33 Allen, Billy F 6-6 210 So. Hamilton, Ohio (Hamilton)

44 Puk, John C 6-10 225 Fr. Waterloo, Iowa (Waterloo West)

54 Gifford, Brett C 6-11 260 Sr. Columbia, Mo. (Rock Bridge)

Archived