UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No miracle this time. No miracle entry into the playoffs.

UMass is at another level, in comparison to Georgia Southern.

There's a very good reason they are ranked and Georgia Southern isn't.

We are completely overmatched. A good example of 1/2 schollies compared to full schollies.... working properly.

I disagree that we are competitive with the top level teams of the FCS, as

someone mentioned weeks back. I absolutely disagree that we can make playoff runs with 30 - 40 scholarships. We haven't a chance. Making the playoffs to get dismantled isn't my idea of fun anyways.

I think getting the freshman QB in there as much as possible from this point

forward is the best way to go. This year's experience for him will be very important in next year's run to winning the NEC.

This is a bad assessment of the game. Sorry, not to be a dick...but from an X's and O's point you really missed this game.

WE SIMPLY DID NOT COME OUT TO PLAY. That had nothing to do with scholarships. We missed assignments all game and made bad reads.

This was an execution issue...though I still think we would have lost to UMASS even if they performed well (the Danes). The CAA is out of control right now...they are dominating FBS teams (Maryland is tied with JMU right now).

IF I were referring to mainly the play in this game, you may be correct.

The point is, the above was not an assessment of this game, as much as it was

an assessment of our overall place in the FCS world.

You ask the Danes in uniform tonight, and I'd bet they would say they DID go

out to play tonight. You'd be saying that Ford didn't have them psychologically

ready or prepared for the game. They may not have performed well, but it was mainly due

to the fact that UMass is bigger, stronger, and faster than Georgia Southern.

UMass is much much better than GSU, at this particular point in time.

Certainly, we are much better than what happened tonight... but putting things into proper perspective

is beneficial for the future. Sometimes getting your ass kicked is a sign that the

other guy is just plain much better than you.

We are completely overmatched. A good example of 1/2 schollies compared to full schollies.... working properly.

someone mentioned weeks back. I absolutely disagree that we can make playoff runs with 30 - 40 scholarships. We haven't a chance. Making the playoffs to get dismantled isn't my idea of fun anyways.

forward is the best way to go. This year's experience for him will be very important in next year's run to winning the NEC.

This is a bad assessment of the game. Sorry, not to be a dick...but from an X's and O's point you really missed this game.

WE SIMPLY DID NOT COME OUT TO PLAY. That had nothing to do with scholarships. We missed assignments all game and made bad reads.

This was an execution issue...though I still think we would have lost to UMASS even if they performed well (the Danes). The CAA is out of control right now...they are dominating FBS teams (Maryland is tied with JMU right now).

ready or prepared for the game. They may not have performed well, but it was mainly due

Certainly, we are much better than what happened tonight... but putting things into proper perspective

is beneficial for the future. Sometimes getting your ass kicked is a sign that the

While some of your points are correct...some are very wrong. This game should have been 28-14 or 35-14 at worst...but a battle. A battle it was not...and that had little to do with size and speed.

1. We were out of this game on the first hit Vinny took. The guys were never into it...but for our D...which was sucking wind all game long.

2. Vinny played one of the worst games he has played in a Dane uni-- he simply never executed.

3. The play calling was miserable.

4. The coaching staff failed to groom a back-up running back; putting your future QB in is not the option.

5. They had no answer for soft-coverage that UMASS was presenting underneath. That was open ALL DAY.

6. Our line was missing assignments all game

7. UMASS is that good.

8. The CAA is that good

9. GSU and Albany have work to do.

10. McCarty's injury

RESULT- The perfect storm.

We are cabable of playing with the best, however depth will always be an issue with 32 rides. In a game as bad as we played...the defense was sucking wind (from a former player at the game) early and that doesnt help. We are far from the place you say as witnessed by the way we normally play and, of course, the way the NEC has played on a whole this year.

Personally, I ALWAYS thought this would be a down year-- i was never sold on our undersized O-Line.

And for the record; Danefan and I were on the text all day long summing up what I just wrote. I will take our assessment any day of the week. Personally speaking, Andrew Smith should have been playing QB about 5 minutes into the 3rd Qtr.

My impression of this game having watched it on channelsurf....

1)The problems extended far beyond just Vinny...yes, he had a terrible game, horrible decision under pressure etc. That first fumble on the first snap, someone on the O line missed an assignment as the UMass defender clocked him HARD basically half a second after the snap...no one picked up the UMass kid, he went in unchallenged and just unloaded. There were blown assignments on more then one occasion. The O line failed and were over matched in this game....no other way to spin it.

2)Vinny had a terrible game today...to look at the QB issue a bit more globally, since I started following UA football (don't laugh) four years ago, it seems every year we are talking about the QB position being sub-par. I know good QB's don't grow on trees but without being to hard on the young man (Vinny) I'm hoping that they go in a different direction. The TO's are simply out of control, two interceptions and a fumble today...one interception against GSU. Not good, you expect more stability from a senior. No idea what direction they need to in but we probably need to strongly consider a permanent change at the QB position. Again, I understand that there probably isn't anyone more upset with how Vinny played today then Vinny and I'm trying to be sensitive to his plight but it really was not good!

3)I thought the D played OK considering they were on the field allot. I don't have the stats for time of possession but I kept thinking that it's not good that the D is out there, especially after the 2TO's in the first 3 snaps. I believe I made a similar remark on the second or third page.

4)We can forget playoffs...it's not happening, what do we do from here? The team looks significantly out of sync. Who on the roster is the tailback of the future? Someone is gonna have to carry at least some of the running load on a permanent basis. Allot of question marks.....!

You bring up excellent points...and yes...that fumble WAS NOT VINNY's fault. He got lit up like the Rockefeller Tree.

That said, I am not advocating a change at QB-- I do feel that in a game that out of control...you give passing snaps to the QB of the future. Smith should have gotten snaps unless his shoulder is hurting that bad. The thing driving me nuts is the TB thing-- how on earth can you NOT have a number 3 back. That is unreal. Only...and I mean ONLY if there is some super sub frosh out there that they are redshirting...do you not give a youngin some minutes in that game.

And you are correct, D was just find except for the fact they were sucking air because they were on the field so long.

I put this squarely on the coaches...and obviously the players get some blame for not executing.

That said-- UMASS IS THAT GOOD....they would probably finish mid-pack in the Big East if the QB had more snaps under his belt.

While some of your points are correct...some are very wrong. This game should have been 28-14 or 35-14 at worst...but a battle. A battle it was not...and that had little to do with size and speed.

1. We were out of this game on the first hit Vinny took. The guys were never into it...but for our D...which was sucking wind all game long.

2. Vinny played one of the worst games he has played in a Dane uni-- he simply never executed.

3. The play calling was miserable.

4. The coaching staff failed to groom a back-up running back; putting your future QB in is not the option.

5. They had no answer for soft-coverage that UMASS was presenting underneath. That was open ALL DAY.

6. Our line was missing assignments all game

7. UMASS is that good.

8. The CAA is that good

9. GSU and Albany have work to do.

10. McCarty's injury

RESULT- The perfect storm.

We are cabable of playing with the best, however depth will always be an issue with 32 rides. In a game as bad as we played...the defense was sucking wind (from a former player at the game) early and that doesnt help. We are far from the place you say as witnessed by the way we normally play and, of course, the way the NEC has played on a whole this year.

Personally, I ALWAYS thought this would be a down year-- i was never sold on our undersized O-Line.

And for the record; Danefan and I were on the text all day long summing up what I just wrote. I will take our assessment any day of the week. Personally speaking, Andrew Smith should have been playing QB about 5 minutes into the 3rd Qtr.

I have the same assessment of yesterday's game as everyone else here.

The problems 1-10 you listed were obvious.

Everyone has the same opinion of the game as you and danefan, regardless

of what you did all day yesterday together. I had no doubt you would

prefer your assessment over all others. No need to worry.

You are correct that we are a much better team than we showed yesterday. I probably was dramatizing the notion the BLOWOUT was a direct result of scholarships.... and not being clear about what I was really talking about.

The things you could be disagreeing with me about is how good our team actually

is right now.... and being overmatched. We are capable of playing with the best up

until a certain point in any particular game. We will play THEE top level teams close,

and 8 out of 10 times lose. At times, we will play these teams and get blown out like yesterday.

I didn't say we were severely overmatched... not at all. But, to THEE top level teams, we are slightly overmatched. That's reality. But, to play well enough to deserve a win at GSU shows you we aren't that far behind.

We boost our scholarships to the max, and get a quality facility, and

we will be beating UMass, Delaware, etc. 8 out of 10 times. Right now,

UAlbany is a half step behind the elite programs in the FCS. What we've done, and what we've become ( a high quality football program ) is impressive with

the scholarships and facilities that we have to work with. You change those two

things, and we'll go from being respectable to being dominant.

Now now fellas. We all agree that we got our butts kicked yesterday - plain and simple.

I also think we all agree that we have over achieved these last 3 years. The question now is whether the University is content knowing this is the more common result than what we've seen in the past.

Let's face it - we were exposed last night. We have no RB of the future. We have Smith who is great - but Fordie must have absolutely zero confidence in the kid's ability to throw. If he had any confidence Smith would have thrown a pass at some point in the last two games.

The defense was stellar last night despite giving up 41. It could have easily been 41 at the half considering the spots the offense put them in.

This particular team will be fine though. A good week of work and I still think a win is possible next week. NEC play will be tougher than in the past, but every game is winnable.

The real question is the future, because based on last night alone, its looking pretty bleak.

I think the whole situation with the RB position is kind of ironic...Colin Simmons quit the team because he was buried behind Gannon and McCarty...he probably would won of been taking most the reps right now due to both being banged up..

I was at the game last night, and the O-line seemed a little overmatched by the front 4 of UMass (who give UMass kudos, that is a very very good d line..3 starters that played us last year in Harrington, Collier, and Hanson)...that first play there was a blown protection, thats why Vinny got hammered...I thought the D played very well despite being put in the terrible positions, and considering they were on the field a whole lot. What I saw in this game vs UMass last year was that we controlled the clock last year vs them, ran on them, passed on them, etc...we just couldn't find a rhythm and it didn't help that Vinny wasn't throwing the ball too well.

How is that Cincy game looking now?

I agree with about 98% of Dane 96's analysis. OUR O LINE WAS MAULED AND OVERMATCHED as would all of the O Lines in the NEC or PL. Dane 96 is 100% correct, UMASS IS THAT GOOD!!!! Do we now have a better understanding of the scholarship issue??? Their starting 22 are just better then our starting 22.UMASS should of beaten K State...they are the better team and will go deep in the playoffs IMHO. Yeah bring on Cincy. We should be fine with 40 rides...LOL!

I am not sure of the extent of the injury to #3's hip is but I would have sat him as well. We are gonna need him in NEC play. If he is not 100% for the Maine game sit his ass on the bench and rest him. Get ready #10 you are going to get 50% of the reps at TB.

No use grading this game as it is counterproductive. Burn the tapes. Vinny is still our guy. One horrible outing should not seal his fate. Fortunatly Maine is not UMASS and is beatable. I still think we beat Maine. Its time for a gutcheck. Someone posted correctly that ass whippins like this are good for a team once in a while, they are! Its time for this team to stop reading the press clippings and get down to business.

We should win all the NEC games. St. Francis is better but SHU and Wagner are worse. CCSU is the same and Monmouth may not be as good. RMC is losing to teams they should be beating and Duquesne is better as well. Question is is UA better?

Archived