UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Make this a reality!!! I feel bad for Hofstra and NU but we are long overdue. We can reload with some of their players but more importantly get in the game of real FCS football!!!! There is room for SBU and UA.

We are about to see how serious UA is about football. Get the renovations underway President Phillips!!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope...not happening. The CAA got their wish in that now the ODU and Ga. State slots are free.

I think we will be fine no matter what happens...and frankly, I expect ODU, JMU, Ga. State and maybe Delaware to move on up.

Lots of shake up still...and for once I am convinced sitting tight is the right call.

Interesting quotes from today's CAA conference call:

CAA Commish Yeager- "I can't move Williamsburg Virginia any close to Orono Maine, It's one of the things that comes into the discussion"

CAA Commish Yeager- rough quote; if the northeastern schools can get nine teams together than it may make sense to go separate

CAA Commish Yeager- "We have not [asked for commitment from other northern schools]"

CAA Commish Yeager- "If for no other reason than the travel [other northern teams might reconsider]"

CAA Commish Yeager- "I believe [northern schools] are still committed"

CAA Commish Yeager- "There really hasn't been any discussion about "hey are there any other teams out there that might be good candidates""

CAA Commish Yeager- rough quote; discussions for expansion may come down the road

CAA Commish Yeager- "I didn't think before the last 72 hours that the discussion of this magnitude was even in play at Hofstra"

CAA Commish Yeager- "Our plan going forward is that next year we will have 10 teams in the league and will have no divisions"

Guys you realize that if we join the CAA we would run into the same problems that killed Hofstra and Northeastern football programs? We should stay where we are unless URI, UMASS, UNH and UMaine decide to reorganize and create a new football only conference. I could see UA, SBU, Fordham University and CCSU joining and creating a very strong and economical conference. What do other people think?

I really want Albany to join UMass, Maine, UNH and URI. Maybe others do too?

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_fbc_uri04_12-04-09_TQGM770_v2.301504b.html

"Given that context, and economic factors such as travel costs, the re-birth of the Yankee Conference makes sense. The conference could consist of the original charter members URI, UMass, UNH and Maine, plus Albany, Stony Brook and Fordham.

Forming such a league would be relatively easy. Albany is an affiliate of the Northeast Conference, Stony Brook of the Big South and Fordham of the Patriot League. Albany and Stony Brook are in the America East in other sports, Fordham in the Atlantic 10. This seven-team conference would allow for six league games and bus trips to all league away games and would permit expansion."

Guys you realize that if we join the CAA we would run into the same problems that killed Hofstra and Northeastern football programs? We should stay where we are unless URI, UMASS, UNH and UMaine decide to reorganize and create a new football only conference. I could see UA, SBU, Fordham University and CCSU joining and creating a very strong and economical conference. What do other people think?

I don't know if we would have been in the exact same spot, but we would have been hurting. Just like SBU is supposedly hurting.

Like I said in another thread, our inaction appears to have paid off. I don't, for one second, believe our inaction was intentional, but it definitely paid off.

I think CAA expansion is very unlikely.

I think there may be another scenario unfolding though. I think Rhode Island may want to downgrade their program to an NEC level school. that would open a spot in the CAA, which I think we would fill nicely. Its all about travel expenses right now for the northern CAA members. They are replacing 2 close bus trips with two plane flights a year. Thats a lot of $$$.

My ideal situation is America East Football run by Dr. McElroy with the following teams:

- Albany

- Stony Brook

- UNH

- Rhode Island

- Maine

- UMass

- Fordham

- Monmouth

- Central Ct. (who I also think should be an America East all-sports member)

If the league started in 2012, it wouldn't be eligible for an playoff autobid until 2014, but the winner would be very very likely to get an at-large for those 2 years. It would be a league at the level of the Southland, which got got two bids this year. But its a league that a team could win a national championship out of.

This is more of a possibility today then it ever was in the past, IMO. I also think the league should be run like th CAA league with no real affiliate members. The CAA Football conference is set up as a separate conference and each member is given an equal vote despite their Olympic sport affiliation.

I don't know if we would have been in the exact same spot, but we would have been hurting. Just like SBU is supposedly hurting.

Like I said in another thread, our inaction appears to have paid off. I don't, for one second, believe our inaction was intentional, but it definitely paid off.

I think there may be another scenario unfolding though. I think Rhode Island may want to downgrade their program to an NEC level school. that would open a spot in the CAA, which I think we would fill nicely. Its all about travel expenses right now for the northern CAA members. They are replacing 2 close bus trips with two plane flights a year. Thats a lot of $$$.

My ideal situation is America East Football run by Dr. McElroy with the following teams:

- Albany

- Stony Brook

- UNH

- Rhode Island

- Maine

- UMass

- Fordham

- Monmouth

If the league started in 2012, it wouldn't be eligible for an playoff autobid until 2014, but the winner would be very very likely to get an at-large for those 2 years. It would be a league at the level of the Southland, which got got two bids this year. But its a league that a team could win a national championship out of.

This is more of a possibility today then it ever was in the past, IMO. I also think the league should be run like th CAA league with no real affiliate members. The CAA Football conference is set up as a separate conference and each member is given an equal vote despite their Olympic sport affiliation.

Danefan, all of this December football talk must be bumming you out! :o

And you may be upsetting d96 and Ruler, as they are quite content with 30 rides and the NEC affiliation. :o

The America East football idea sounds like a grand old plan to me!

I agree, I can't imagine a CAA expansion. It has too many teams already. The elimination of these last 2 programs probably eliminates some of the pressure they were experiencing, in light of more teams joining in the next few years.

Do you think the America East Football Conference scenerio is actually possible?

Out of the teams you've listed, you think they'd all feel the same way?

- Albany

- Stony Brook

- UNH

- Rhode Island

- Maine

- UMass

- Fordham

- Monmouth

Danefan, all of this December football talk must be bumming you out! ohmy.gif

And you may be upsetting d96 and Ruler, as they are quite content with 30 rides and the NEC affiliation. ohmy.gif

The America East football idea sounds like a grand old plan to me!

I agree, I can't imagine a CAA expansion. It has too many teams already. The elimination of these last 2 programs probably eliminates some of the pressure they were experiencing, in light of more teams joining in the next few years.

Do you think the America East Football Conference scenerio is actually possible?

Out of the teams you've listed, you think they'd all feel the same way?

I don't think anyone is content with 30 scholarships in the NEC.

I think the AEast Football Conference is possible. Its already been proposed a few times, but I think its more possible now then ever before. There is the hurdle of getting the AEast non-football schools to agree to it, but I think that would be passable if UNH, SBU, Maine, and Albany all push for it hard enough.

Out of the teams I have listed I think the biggest hurdles to overcome are New Hampshire and UMass. UNH and UMass will be undoubtedly taking a step down in conference affiliation for a few years. The other problem is they will have a hard time getting teams like Delaware and JMU to play them in Amherst or Durham if they aren't required to by conference. In fact, I'd say that UNH has zero chance of getting any major conference OOC games at home until the upgrade facilities, which isn't going to be soon. UMass may be able to get some because they do get 15,000 or so a game.

Fordham would join rather easily, unless the Patriot allowed scholarships, which I don't think is going to happen.

Rhode Island would jump on this in a heartbeat.

Stony Brook's contract with the Big South is up after the 2011 season and I'm sure the AEast Football conference would mandate that all-sport members must play in the football leage.

Maine would therefore have no choice either (but they would probably be for it anyway).

I think CCSU will be an America East all-sport member soon (or they should be at least).

Monmouth will go as an affiliate if they want to offer full rides and the NEC won't let them.

Its possible, but UNH and UMass hold the keys.

Interesting thoughts.

Who actually proposed the AE football idea in the past and when?

Which schools at the time favored it?

And which other teams out of the AE conference were interested at the time?

The UNH thing would probably be the biggest hurdle, because of the facility.

Although, they do have a long relationship with CAA members, so it may not be SO difficult to get them to head up north.

Especially with the loss of two Northeast teams, like northeastern and hofstra, long travel and its expense is even more frequent, and can't be a positive for umass, unh, and maine.

I'm scouring the interwebs (Thanks Al Gore!) for a powerpoint presentation made to the America East on starting a football conference. Somone has one (maybe MaineJeff?).

If I find it I'll let you know.

The original proposal didn't include CCSU, but it did include Hofstra.

I'm scouring the interwebs (Thanks Al Gore!) for a powerpoint presentation made to the America East on starting a football conference. Somone has one (maybe MaineJeff?).

Now THAT I'd really like to see.

Remember when it came out?

Now THAT I'd really like to see.

Remember when it came out?

After the America East turned down the CAA merger, so sometime in the early 2000's I think.

Archived