UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA vs. Binghamton

Mark just posted his postgame recap.. some interesting quotes.. http://blog.timesuni...houghts-3/6035/

"I told these guys after, 'You know what?' It's my fault, ' " Brown said. " 'I've got to stop expecting you guys to rebound well (just) because teams in the past we've had here have prided themselves on their rebounding, their effort and their toughness. Maybe it's not fair to the other teams that we've had here to compare you to them. Maybe I'm doing those other teams an injustice.' "

"That's just pure effort and energy," Brown said. "You're on your homecourt, playing the defending champion, playing the biggest team in the league who you know is going to the glass, and you don't respond."

------

Brown suggested he might name Allen as a captain before the season is through. Even though Allen missed all five of his 3-point attempts, Brown likes his vocal leadership.

"We've got to continue to find leadership," Brown said. "Right now, our best leader's not one of our captains, and that's a problem. Billy Allen might become one of our captains before the season's over, or as soon as the season's over. That kid, whether he plays five minutes or 35 minutes, all he cares about is winning. He's on the court, telling guys where they should be. He's talking. He wants to win."

Brown didn't even rule out stripping a player of his captaincy, although it sounded as though that's not the direction he prefers to go in.

What a joke! Whatever luster that remained from the back-back AE championships is long gone. Can someone give me one good reason to see this team at the SEFCU this winter?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to say it again...and I am going to say the same thing I have said for two years-- Coach made a mistake...a truly big one...but one not many would have seen- He hung his star on Tim Ambrose and Will Harris...and they have always, barring a breakout performance here and there, been a major disappointment to me. Heck, even Will H. calls himself out, often discussing his intensity. These two are supposed to be leaders and they are far from it.

Are they good kids-- from what I have heard and witnessed...ABSOLUTELY. But they are not leaders in the sense of what we need right now. IMHO...Coach is going to earn his big bucks right now; he is going to have to make a tough call...and that is stripping the Captaincy. It could implode the year...or it could send a message.

Personally, like I said with our QB (who responded big time in his final game), I prefer the shake the team up thing. I was personally a victim of it myself...and it sucks. But you know what, this is about a team...and frankly about a lot of young guys learning a lesson for the future.

There should be one or two Captains...and from what I see, only Billy Allen deserves the nod right now.

That said, I am not in practice...

By the way.. did anyone catch Will's interview after the game.. what did he say?

I paraphrase: Outworked, outrebounded, can't win w/o our upperclassmen showing up. Good game by Mike Black.

Well, at least he watched the same game I did, but where's the accountability? Would it kill him to throw an "out-coached" in there too?

I beg to differ and I am still amazed why people keep pointing to Coach (other than the fact he makes big bucks and he recruited these kids...which are HUGE in my opinion).

How many times does a Coach have to change the gameplan? He gave these kids EXACTLY what they wanted-- RUN AND GUN basketball against a slower and bigger team. One rule-- Closeout and REBOUND...period. You do that...and you blow Binghamton out.

These kids, kids who simply dont want to play system basketball, need to step it up and learn the game...quick. Run and Gun only works if you have horses and smarts-- we arguably only have one of these attributes.

Bottom line-- you need to dig deep if you are a player. Coach was able to break his horses of Siggers and Wilson (Lou was always more refined). He simply has been unable to motivate Harris and break the Mustang that is Ambrose.

I am going to say it again...and I am going to say the same thing I have said for two years-- Coach made a mistake...a truly big one...but one not many would have seen- He hung his star on Tim Ambrose and Will Harris...and they have always, barring a breakout performance here and there, been a major disappointment to me. Heck, even Will H. calls himself out, often discussing his intensity. These two are supposed to be leaders and they are far from it.

Are they good kids-- from what I have heard and witnessed...ABSOLUTELY. But they are not leaders in the sense of what we need right now. IMHO...Coach is going to earn his big bucks right now; he is going to have to make a tough call...and that is stripping the Captaincy. It could implode the year...or it could send a message.

Personally, like I said with our QB (who responded big time in his final game), I prefer the shake the team up thing. I was personally a victim of it myself...and it sucks. But you know what, this is about a team...and frankly about a lot of young guys learning a lesson for the future.

There should be one or two Captains...and from what I see, only Billy Allen deserves the nod right now.

That said, I am not in practice...

With each passing day I look forward to a couple of the current kids graduating....Brown over-hyped MJ...and your two "leaders" Ambrose and Harris are simply not...you either are or you are not!

I dont know what happened with MJ. He was always hyped as a good defender...and I have seen him play alot of high school ball (he played my position at my high school, Sheepshead Bay) on tape. Maybe he was overhyped as much improved and best practice player because that stuff doesnt translate in games sometimes.

Frankly, I blame any lack of "skillset" from a leadership/hoop IQ level to our High School Coach, Roy Steinbach. Guy was terrible when I played, terrible before I played, terrible after I played...and probably would be terrible in the next millinea. Wouldnt know the game from a strategy standpoint if it were an open book test.

By the way.. did anyone catch Will's interview after the game.. what did he say?

I paraphrase: Outworked, outrebounded, can't win w/o our upperclassmen showing up. Good game by Mike Black.

Well, at least he watched the same game I did, but where's the accountability? Would it kill him to throw an "out-coached" in there too?

I beg to differ and I am still amazed why people keep pointing to Coach (other than the fact he makes big bucks and he recruited these kids...which are HUGE in my opinion).

How many times does a Coach have to change the gameplan? He gave these kids EXACTLY what they wanted-- RUN AND GUN basketball against a slower and bigger team. One rule-- Closeout and REBOUND...period. You do that...and you blow Binghamton out.

These kids, kids who simply dont want to play system basketball, need to step it up and learn the game...quick. Run and Gun only works if you have horses and smarts-- we arguably only have one of these attributes.

Bottom line-- you need to dig deep if you are a player. Coach was able to break his horses of Siggers and Wilson (Lou was always more refined). He simply has been unable to motivate Harris and break the Mustang that is Ambrose.

I think one of the misperceptions here is that I am implying that tonight's debacle was EXCLUSIVELY Brown's fault. I am in no means suggesting that, but when you let an undermanned team with a new coach come into your house on the first night of conference play and push your team around, you have to be at least IN PART to blame.

I guess since I'm one that does point to the coach, more than the players, I'll take a shot at responding.

Somewhat repeating what you've said above. His players. We hear basketball IQ etc. I don't think all winning teams have 5,7, 10 high basketball IQ guys. You need some, and I thought that's what 2 coaches sons, MJ, Giff. were. I point to a team that comes out unmotivated too often. Some guys you can't motivate, I get that. But this team historically does nothing the first ten minutes of games.

Our inside presence offensively is laughable at this point. Is it scheme? Is it lack of recruiting? Is it lack of player development?

I am a strong advocate for up tempo. We didn't rebound tonight which limits that opportunity. At this point the only time coach has turned these guys loose was the Yale game. I don't think tonight was an up tempo game by any stretch of the imagination.

I could go in endless circles on this. Lack of talent, lack of effort, lack of scheme. I don't know, chicken or the egg? Coach Brown had no answers to a 7 scholarship team.

I have no doubt this will be the worst game of the year. But I don't see a ton of success out of this squad.

We can point fingers in all directions, but this is disappointing to this period of the season. No real good wins, and a handful of bad losses. To me this is the third year of underachievement and there are only a couple of guys who span all three years.

not trying to pour salt in a wound here but...

Brown said something that ive been saying for a long time. This UA team lacks ANY sort of basketball IQ what so ever. THAT is on the coaching staff. You either arent providing a system conducive to it OR ... youre recruiting players that LACK it. Im going with the later. I have NEVER seen a college hoop team exhibit such a basketball incompetence in all the years i played and watched.

Brown NEEDS to be out. For a while it was fun to watch UA fans wallow in the mediocrity/putridness but this is EXACTLY what siena went through with Lanier (except game coaching was Laniers problem). I do feel sorry for you fans. It sucks that times are tough because that means there isnt much anyone can do to get rid of Brown. He's destroyed ANY momentum gained by the Wilson years.

I guess since I'm one that does point to the coach, more than the players, I'll take a shot at responding.

Somewhat repeating what you've said above. His players. We hear basketball IQ etc. I don't think all winning teams have 5,7, 10 high basketball IQ guys. You need some, and I thought that's what 2 coaches sons, MJ, Giff. were. I point to a team that comes out unmotivated too often. Some guys you can't motivate, I get that. But this team historically does nothing the first ten minutes of games.

Our inside presence offensively is laughable at this point. Is it scheme? Is it lack of recruiting? Is it lack of player development?

I am a strong advocate for up tempo. We didn't rebound tonight which limits that opportunity. At this point the only time coach has turned these guys loose was the Yale game. I don't think tonight was an up tempo game by any stretch of the imagination.

I could go in endless circles on this. Lack of talent, lack of effort, lack of scheme. I don't know, chicken or the egg? Coach Brown had no answers to a 7 scholarship team.

I have no doubt this will be the worst game of the year. But I don't see a ton of success out of this squad.

We can point fingers in all directions, but this is disappointing to this period of the season. No real good wins, and a handful of bad losses. To me this is the third year of underachievement and there are only a couple of guys who span all three years.

I was having this conversation with some fellow UA fans last week, and your post leaves a good opportunity to bring it up. First of all, this is a guard oriented league, so getting a decent big in here is going to be difficult to do for any squad. However, I always wonder how different UA's future would have been had Al Turley not transferred out. He broke out IMO towards the end of his freshman year and I was really expecting big things out of him. I was shocked and really dissapointed when he transferred.

As far as last nights game goes, now that I have had some time to reflect, here are my thoughts:

I really don't think you can fully blame this one on CB. I am still as frustrated, angry and dissapointed as I have ever been in my time following UA, but I think most of my emotions are directed towards the players. In the past, guys like Lillis, Connelly, Jamar, etc would fight tooth and nail to make sure we wouldn't lose a game like this. Unfortunately, none of these players have that same passion (Only person who looked it last night was McRae). While I guess you can blame CB for recruiting these guys, I think you need to start holding the players accountable for their lack of passion. The fact that our 2 "Best" players are such enigmas in the sense that you never know when they will show up and for how long, it's troubling.

Ultimately, CB has 2 more years left on his contract. I think he definitely deserves to see those 2 years out, and we go from there. (Sorry for any grammatical errors in this post..on my way to work, but wanted to quickly get this in!)

As Haggy said above, I'm not fully blaming the coach, but at this point he has to be considered as at least part of the problem. The longer this goes on, the more blame he gets.

Is it because he is gets paid?

Is it because he is supposed to be the ultimate leader of this program?

Is it becuase it looked as if he had no idea which way to turn last night? Who thought that he was just trying lineups last night with no real approach?

As Haggy said above, I'm not fully blaming the coach, but at this point he has to be considered as at least part of the problem. The longer this goes on, the more blame he gets.

Is it because he is gets paid?

Is it because he is supposed to be the ultimate leader of this program?

Is it becuase it looked as if he had no idea which way to turn last night? Who thought that he was just trying lineups last night with no real approach?

I still want to try real hard to think these guys know what they are doing. It was painful to watch.

Clearly Macon had his team prepared and had Albany scouted.. Albany was not prepared for them.

I still believe that Brown can coach....I have major concerns regarding whether or not he can bring in the players he needs to win with. If he knows his system is complicated and he needs cerebral players....what is he doing messing around with Ambrose, Harris and MJ.....If there is anything take Brown to task for is that he hitched his wagon to those three.....when is graduation day?

[/q

It is sad how we thought the FAU game will be the worst performance of the year. Then a few weeks later Central Conn and last night Binghamton. We have been making excuses for this team for weeks. I believe we have hit rock bottom, but on the bright side the only direction to move is up now. It is not looking to good though as Sunday will be a true test to the teams man hood. I would like them to prove us all wrong.

UA'08

Can't believe you forgot to mention Siena....that was yet another disgraceful performance....it trumps CCSU and FAU in my mind....

Surprisingly, I think this is the worst thing that could have happened for UVM...I wouldn't put a nickle on it because this team is so schizophrenic but I'm thinking we'll get an inspired effort on Sunday.

And not to beat the already dead horse, but..

The coach gets credit(including some nice $'s), and rightfully so for the back to back NCAA appearances. We can't now say "it's not coaches fault he doesn't have the players", without saying "they only won because they had the players".

Archived