UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Unless things changed...I heard two Hofstra kids and one NU kid.

Not to be a damper, but dont expect a new stadium next year. Talking to some people, even if we get the announcement soon about moving ahead...there is a 4-6 month design phase...plus NYS red tape. Best case scenario is the announcement...with shovels in the ground the following spring-- IMHO.

The only positive is if Gov. Patterson's proposal passes; it would eliminate red tape (and likely costs) once we actually break ground.

96, I know you are probably right about the 4-6 mo design phase, in fact we probably will never get this thing built; but my question is have'nt we been designing and re-designing this thing for YEARS??? Why do they need another 4 to 6 for design?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to be a damper, but dont expect a new stadium next year. Talking to some people, even if we get the announcement soon about moving ahead...there is a 4-6 month design phase...plus NYS red tape. Best case scenario is the announcement...with shovels in the ground the following spring-- IMHO.

The only positive is if Gov. Patterson's proposal passes; it would eliminate red tape (and likely costs) once we actually break ground.

96, I know you are probably right about the 4-6 mo design phase, in fact we probably will never get this thing built; but my question is have'nt we been designing and re-designing this thing for YEARS??? Why do they need another 4 to 6 for design?

I haven't heard anything about a 4-6 month's delay!

we've been designing a pipe-dream ($60 million) for 4 years now. I would imagine that the new designs are more realistic and would be based on the money we actually have to build it.........not what we hope to get. Plus the only thing we've seen are concept designs. There is a lot more engineering that would probably need to be done.

I've been told that their would be ground breaking this Spring.

Dillon Romain is a huge get for us! I think that really helps our new era of post-McCarty..whats going to be interesting is if Drew Smith is @ QB and Romain @ RB?

I think we'll see Smith as a do-it-all kind of guy.

15-20 carries at RB.

5 direct snaps

5 option plays

A lot of passing situations in the slot (think Dallas Clark)

etc.....

Smith is so versitile that I don't expect him to be at the QB position handing the ball off too much.

Romain should be able to fill in the rest of the time in the back field. The combo of Smith and Romain returning kickoffs should be a fun one to watch though.

Everybody gets mad at me when i talk about Drew as a QB . Not going to happen he is a great athlete and will be an offensive force for our team both running and catching the ball. Lets not forget we were the only school to offer him on the offensive side of the ball . All other offers were on the other side of the ball. He will be the program for the next three years . Dillon is a great addition but will see limited time this year behind Drew

but will be a good player in the future . I really would't be surprised if he red shirts.

Everybody gets mad at me when i talk about Drew as a QB . Not going to happen he is a great athlete and will be an offensive force for our team both running and catching the ball. Lets not forget we were the only school to offer him on the offensive side of the ball . All other offers were on the other side of the ball. He will be the program for the next three years . Dillon is a great addition but will see limited time this year behind Drew

but will be a good player in the future . I really would't be surprised if he red shirts.

I tend to agree with you FM - I think Smith will be the feature back but I don't think he's going to ever be a 30 carry a game guy like McCarty or Gary Jones was. He's more of a spread it out type of athlete that will likely be used at a variety of positions.

As far as Romain - I don't think he'll redshirt because we aren't very deep at the RB position so we'll likely need him immediately, especially in the special teams department.

There are also some elibility issues with him. There are certain rules that apply when a player goes to post-graduate prep school. I'm not entirely familiar with them (cue UAalumn72's by-law research skills) but I do remember hearing somewhere that a kid that graduates from high school and then goes to prep school will start in college with only 3 years of eligibility.

I'm going to try and look into it now and see what I can find.

not true at all .Prep school is a extra year of high school . does not effect any college eligibility at all including red shirt . Dillion could be here 5 and a half years if he red shirts . two or three players on the team are in the same boat including i believe leathley he is a prep school kid and enrollrd last spring

not true at all .Prep school is a extra year of high school . does not effect any college eligibility at all including red shirt . Dillion could be here 5 and a half years if he red shirts . two or three players on the team are in the same boat including i believe leathley he is a prep school kid and enrollrd last spring

There are new rules that apply to prep school kids. The news wasn't exactly clear when it was announced so it made it sound like if a kid graduated from high school he would lose a year of eligibility if he went to prep school. That's what I had read. I just looked it up and its complicated, but I think I figured it out.

I don't know Romain's grade situation, but I think its safe to assume that he was a qualifier out of HS. Assuming that's the case, the new rules wouldn't apply to him.

The new rules essentially prohibit kids that wouldn't otherwise qualify from using "easy" prep schools to boost their poor high school grades. Now the NCAA limits the number of prep school grades a kid can use to determine eligibility. What was happening was kids with poor grades were intentionally not graduating from high school and were going to prep schools that were pretty much selling grades. So the kid got to use those unearned grades to raise his HS GPA and make it through the DI Clearinghouse. The new rules say that only 1 grade from Prep School counts and those kids that need additional grades from prep school to get through the Clearinghouse are non-qualifiers (meaning they can't play but don't get a technical redshirt either if they enroll).

But there is no indication that Romain would have those isseus. I initially misunderstood the rules.

There are new rules that apply to prep school kids. The news wasn't exactly clear when it was announced so it made it sound like if a kid graduated from high school he would lose a year of eligibility if he went to prep school. That's what I had read. I just looked it up and its complicated, but I think I figured it out.

I don't know Romain's grade situation, but I think its safe to assume that he was a qualifier out of HS. Assuming that's the case, the new rules wouldn't apply to him.

The new rules essentially prohibit kids that wouldn't otherwise qualify from using "easy" prep schools to boost their poor high school grades. Now the NCAA limits the number of prep school grades a kid can use to determine eligibility. What was happening was kids with poor grades were intentionally not graduating from high school and were going to prep schools that were pretty much selling grades. So the kid got to use those unearned grades to raise his HS GPA and make it through the DI Clearinghouse. The new rules say that only 1 grade from Prep School counts and those kids that need additional grades from prep school to get through the Clearinghouse are non-qualifiers (meaning they can't play but don't get a technical redshirt either if they enroll).

But there is no indication that Romain would have those isseus. I initially misunderstood the rules.

that is exactly correct it has nothing to do with football eligibility only academics . the rulr change was a great idea and helps the kids that work hard but need some time both academically and athletically

Archived