UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Bing Investigation

My favorite part so far....BWHAHAHAHA

"Commissioner Nero noted that President DeFleur and Dr. Thirer were determined to win and that both had expressed to him that the success of Albany, a traditional rival, and their losing, was a continuing source of irritation to BU. Dr. Thirer would call Commissioner Nero regularly to complain about some aspect of Albany's program and often disparage Albany during meetings of the Conference's Athletic Directors."

For those who don't want to read the102 page Report here are some articles

Report Fault's Binghamton' Leaders in Basketball Scandal

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/sports/ncaabasketball/12binghamton.html?hp

Binghamton University Report Outlines Debit Card Misuse by Basketball Players

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20100211/NEWS01/100211021/Binghamton-University-report-outlines-debit-card-misuse-by-basketball-players

Report urges oversight of Binghamton University Athletic Department

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4906365

Binghamton Athletes sharply criticized in investigative report

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-02-11-binghamton-athletics-report_N.htm

SUNY Report on BU Issued

http://news10now.com/tompkins-cortland-news-1045-content/top_stories/495902/suny-report-on-bu-athletics-issued

$900,000 to tell Binghamton that they needed someone to oversee their athletics program?

Uhhh.....duh. Its called an Athletic Director.

Yes, agreed. Compiling the report cost a lot of money, and several Bing supporters and the local Bing newspaper cite that sum critically. What nobody over there criticizes is the large amount of money given to questionable coaches' salaries and other aspect of the men's basketball program to cut corners at the expense of other AE basketball programs and jeopardize the institution's academic reputation. To me, that is a more expensive bill than the cost of the inquiry.

$900,000 to tell Binghamton that they needed someone to oversee their athletics program?

Uhhh.....duh. Its called an Athletic Director.

Yes, agreed. Compiling the report cost a lot of money, and several Bing supporters and the local Bing newspaper cite that sum critically. What nobody over there criticizes is the large amount of money given to questionable coaches' salaries and other aspect of the men's basketball program to cut corners at the expense of other AE basketball programs and jeopardize the institution's academic reputation. To me, that is a more expensive bill than the cost of the inquiry.

Agreed. And BTW, I'm not begrduging the cost really. I'm just blaming Bing for making SUNY spend that money (which apparently wasn't taxpayer or tuition money, but then where did it come from?).

Why in the world would a school like Bing sacrifice its academic reputation for the fleeting notariety that is mid-major basketball? Look here how fast you can end up back in the bottom of pack.

In my personal opinion...they got off cheap. A 6 month investigation like this cost a client of my old firm way north of 2.5 million. Hell, we charged 160 an hour for temp doc review attorneys. Most worked 80 hour weeks minimum...and there were 10 on the case. Add in a lit support program, lit technology peeps, backup data, partner fees, associate fees and paralegal fees...plus other fees...and this 910k was a bargain.

Agreed. And BTW, I'm not begrduging the cost really. I'm just blaming Bing for making SUNY spend that money (which apparently wasn't taxpayer or tuition money, but then where did it come from?).

Why in the world would a school like Bing sacrifice its academic reputation for the fleeting notariety that is mid-major basketball? Look here how fast you can end up back in the bottom of pack.

danefan,

Oh, I know you're not begrudging the cost of the inquiry. Your next statement confirmed it for me. And I agree with you that the cost is coming from the same pot that feeds all SUNY's. I just hope it comes from Bing's allotment only. There should be some financial penalty that doesn't cost all other innocent parties.

But I agree with the rest of you-- that one title cost BING alot more financially and in other ways (coaching salaries, fines, probably NCAA sanctions)

Dane98,

What do you think the NCAA sanctions will involve? Loss of scholarships, fines, lack of participation in future NCAA tournaments, forfeiture of last season's games, etc.?

But I agree with the rest of you-- that one title cost BING alot more financially and in other ways (coaching salaries, fines, probably NCAA sanctions)

Dane98,

What do you think the NCAA sanctions will involve? Loss of scholarships, fines, lack of participation in future NCAA tournaments, forfeiture of last season's games, etc.?

I'm not an expert on NCAA violations...but if there is one thing YOU CANNOT DO is give players money....If NCAA sanctions come down it will either be because of the funds (however small they might have been) given to the players or the recruiting stuff...(improper calls etc).

Sanctions would probably be along the lines of a lost scholarship or two.....

As some of you guys have mentioned, this doesn't look over from an NCAA perspective. Some of the Bing fans were thinking this release was going to bring closure to this episode but I think there is still a ways for them to go.

Please excuse me if this information has been posted elsewhere here on this forum, but I don't recall it.

I found the article early this morning on the TU website. It isn't located there later today, so I'm quoting the whole piece. I think it reveals to a large extent the kind of thinking that went on in the men's basketball program at Binghamton.

By MARK SINGELAIS, Staff writer

First published in print: Friday, February 12, 2010

Former Troy High basketball star Emanuel "Tiki" Mayben threatened to "bring down" the Binghamton University athletic department with allegations of misconduct, which he later recanted, according to an independent report released Thursday.

Binghamton, the defending America East champion, dismissed Mayben from the team in September after his arrest in Troy on drug charges.

Mayben was one of six players kicked off the team, followed by the resignation of athletic director Joel Thirer and the paid leave of head coach Kevin Broadus.

The State University of New York system commissioned a four-month review led by retired state judge Judith S. Kaye, whose findings are detailed in the 99-page report.

"We have had limited opportunity to examine it and are now in the process of reviewing it carefully," Binghamton officials said in a prepared statement.

Kaye wrote that Mayben became "upset" in October when Binghamton decided he should no longer remain in campus housing. Mayben asked Binghamton for a cash refund equal to the housing component for his scholarship, according to the report.

In a conversation with Binghamton's director of compliance, Mayben said that if he didn't get the refund, he would go to national media outlets and expose improper benefits that Broadus gave to his players.

Asked again in November, Mayben said he knew nothing about illegal payments and was "upset" when he made the threat, according to the report. Binghamton mistakenly sent Mayben a housing refund, which he has since agreed to repay to the university.

Mayben, who is still enrolled at Binghamton, didn't immediately return an e-mail seeking comment. He declined to speak to Kaye during the investigation.

The report also stated that four other Binghamton players were likely dismissed from the team for their roles in purchasing goods with a stolen debit card.

Kaye's investigation cost more than $900,000.

Mark Singelais can be reached at 454-5509 or by e-mail at msingelais@timesunion.com.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=900071&category=SPORTS#ixzz0fQTmQaem

Archived