UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

All Will Brown Team

All Will Brown Team:

G: Jamar

G: Lucious

G/F: Siggers

G/F: Lillis

F: Brent

If forced to comply with proper positions and keep a player who played a true Center, I think Zoellner.

Levi, Connolly, Iati.... is there a second team?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zoellner not the most memorable character in UAlbany lore (outside of the UConn game). Lacked any sort of skill but at a legit 7-1 and his averages of 7.5 points and 4.9 rebounds senior year, ability to anchor D more with pure size and confidence to put the ball in the hoop when right next too it (admittedly assuming he caught it) make me a bit suprised to find Giff favored over him.

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm dumb. But I would take Gifford over Zoellner any day of the week.

Zoellner = Chris Dudley. Bad.

Gifford = Olden Polynice. Bad, but not AS bad.

Seriously?

Wow...i shake my head at the basketball awarness of some. Kirsten Z. did so much for the Danes that Brett didnt even have a speck of ability to do. He had back to the basket moves...was mean as all hell when he needed to be...was much quicker than Brett defensively...and was big and strong.

Totally different ballplayers...and I really cant believe this is an argument.

Zoellner not the most memorable character in UAlbany lore (outside of the UConn game). Lacked any sort of skill but at a legit 7-1 and his averages of 7.5 points and 4.9 rebounds senior year, ability to anchor D more with pure size and confidence to put the ball in the hoop when right next too it (admittedly assuming he caught it) make me a bit suprised to find Giff favored over him.

Totally agree Doc. And this gives me hope, btw, with Lindfors and Puk. Z's transformation from junior to sr. years was amazing for what Filien had to work with (mind you, I met KZ when I was a season ticket holder to BC football games...so I tracked that kid before he stepped foot on the UA campus).

His hands got infinitely better by his Senior year...and his ability around the hoop was second to none...WHEN COMPARED TO GIFF ONLY. He, as he should have been...was a dominant middle lane clogger in the AE.

All Will Brown Team:

G: Jamar

G: Lucious

G/F: Siggers

G/F: Lillis

F: Brent

If forced to comply with proper positions and keep a player who played a true Center, I think Zoellner.

Levi, Connolly, Iati.... is there a second team?

A True Center: Janis Pipikis

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm dumb. But I would take Gifford over Zoellner any day of the week.

Seriously?

Wow...i shake my head at the basketball awarness of some. Kirsten Z. did so much for the Danes that Brett didnt even have a speck of ability to do. He had back to the basket moves...was mean as all hell when he needed to be...was much quicker than Brett defensively...and was big and strong.

Agree. Kirsten was more athletic than Giff, played better D and had some low post moves of which the Giff had none.

And...I will also add an honorable mention to the all Will Brown team: DAVID BAUMANN.

That kid gave nothing but heart for this school and the team...and he stuck it out though he was likely a marginal DI guy (something we knew going when he as recruited).

Kid gets a huge thumbs up for me-- he is what college hoops is all about.

My general idea was to consolidate a lot of the discussion on the other thread- its unarguable an aging team. Ambrose's career is far from over- he could still win the board over in his final campaign, but if a few others playing now do not emerge within the next two years as sure fire players on this list, the All Will Brown Team could be set in stone.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously?

Agree. Kirsten was more athletic than Giff, played better D and had some low post moves of which the Giff had none.

i want to concur! Zoellner was good, enough so to play a few years of pro ball. I highly doubt Giff will be playing anything else after UA, maybe a little YMCA league

Seriously?

Gifford wasn't developed with offense in mind and he was STILL able to step out a couple of feet and knock down a J from time to time.

Zollner? From what I remember he was ALWAYS right under the basket. I never saw him do anything worth while. Dunks are cool and all, but he was VERY one dimensional as a player. Could he anchor the D? Possibly. But did he have more talent than Gifford? Absolutely not. He was probably more athletic, but Gifford could do more had the UAlbany staff worked with him. Instead, it seems like they focused on one thing, and that is for him to clog the lane. He had soft hands and good passing ability and could hit a jump shot from time to time. Can't say the same for Z.

Again, this is all from memory. I don't remember much about Z but what I remember is that I hated when he had the ball. I'd rather Connelly or Wilson have it. They were much better 'big men'.

Also, Zollner averaged like 8 more minutes than Giff. That's a lot.

Archived