UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

National Anthem

McFan

If anybody that reads this has direct contact w/ the coaching staff, if they could pass along this message:

During the National Anthem you should not talk. Not a little, and certainly not a three man conversation that carries on throughout the entire song. People in the crowd shouldn't either. But in case you were unaware you are on the court and represent not only yourselves, but the team, and the University.

Yes, a bit nitpicky maybe but CB and two assistants carried on throughout the entire National Anthem before the Iona game.

One of my grumpy old man complaints is how people don't follow national anthem protocol. I wish our teams followed it. I wish all U.S. citizens followed it.

Sec. 301. National anthem

(a) Designation. The composition consisting of the words and music

known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(B) Conduct During Playing. During a rendition of the national

anthem

(1) when the flag is displayed

(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at

attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;

(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with

their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder,

the hand being over the heart; and

© individuals in uniform should give the military salute

at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until

the last note; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face

toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag

were displayed.

If anybody that reads this has direct contact w/ the coaching staff, if they could pass along this message:

During the National Anthem you should not talk. Not a little, and certainly not a three man conversation that carries on throughout the entire song. People in the crowd shouldn't either. But in case you were unaware you are on the court and represent not only yourselves, but the team, and the University.

Yes, a bit nitpicky maybe but CB and two assistants carried on throughout the entire National Anthem before the Iona game.

I noticed that too. I am sure they were discussing how to defend against the 3.

If you're not a US citizen, I wouldn't expect it.

...do I agree that talking is a bit much? Perhaps. But do I think that everyone needs to put their hands over their hearts, etc. (follow 'protocol')? Absolutely not.

I was not born here, but I am a citizen now. That is irrelevant. I admire your nationalism. I really do. However, this country is NOTHING like it was when it was founded (and when the Star Spangled Banner was written by Mr. Keys). I can go on and on in a historical sense, but it won't do neither of us any good to beat this dead horse (which I'm sure has been beaten many times on other forums and in other discussions around the country). And it also will do you no good paying those people, who are disrespectful, any mind. The human being, in general, can be quite disrespectful to all sorts of things. The less you let it bother you, the better off you are.

However, this country is NOTHING like it was when it was founded (and when the Star Spangled Banner was written by Mr. Keys). I can go on and on in a historical sense, but it won't do neither of us any good to beat this dead horse (which I'm sure has been beaten many times on other forums and in other discussions around the country).

How so? And aren't all countries different from when they were founded hundreds if not thousands of years ago in some cases?

However, this country is NOTHING like it was when it was founded (and when the Star Spangled Banner was written by Mr. Keys). I can go on and on in a historical sense, but it won't do neither of us any good to beat this dead horse (which I'm sure has been beaten many times on other forums and in other discussions around the country).

How so? And aren't all countries different from when they were founded hundreds if not thousands of years ago in some cases?

Do we really need to get off on tangents here? If you think this US of A is the same as the US of A of 1776, you're very mistaken. I think you know what I was eluding too. It's not even the same as it was in 1954.

As far as countries...glad you got my point.

Point is, spend your patriotism/nationalism energy on a cause such as fixing our government instead of commenting about the 'protocol' of people attending a sporting event. If you want to be patriotic/nationalistic, put your effort towards THAT instead of things that have little to no significance in life/the big picture.

Holding your hand over your heart, or having 50 people (example) out of 1500 in the arena talking during the anthem, frankly, is no big deal. I do understand the part about they are representing UA (Brown and his two assistants), but I think if it was just 50 random people in your area talking, you still would have been a little upset. So it's not limited to UA employees.

Just my $0.02. Don't feel like having a back and forth about this so I'll just leave it that. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Go UA!

Send an e-mail to MacElroy.

The song takes two minutes. I'm a big rule breaker by nature but no conversation is so important that it can't wait until the end of the song. When I worked at the track I told hundreds of people to be quiet during the anthem. Doing so while representing a public university is shameful.

Not many countries are the same as in 1776. We didn't adopt the national anthem until 1931. So you don't follow protocol because you're not happy about something or other. Im not happy about everything going on, but I respect the flag and ideals, regardless. I may not like some of the presidents we've had, but I respect the office. That's my 2 cents.

I am a disabled vet. I have given a part of my life to that flag to keep its ideals of freedom for everyone intact.

I would appreciate it if you would take the minute or two that the anthem plays to shut the Bing up and show it some respect. If you cant do that then move to another country.

Send an e-mail to MacElroy.

The song takes two minutes. I'm a big rule breaker by nature but no conversation is so important that it can't wait until the end of the song. When I worked at the track I told hundreds of people to be quiet during the anthem. Doing so while representing a public university is shameful.

If it were an ongoing problem I would. Thought better if somebody that has contact w/ him just whisper in his ear and have him refocused. Maybe he does it a lot, I really don't pay attention as from my seat to view the flag I'm facing away from the team. I was late and just walking in so was directly behind the team this time.

"During the National Anthem you should not talk. Not a little, and certainly not a three man conversation that carries on throughout the entire song. People in the crowd shouldn't either. But in case you were unaware you are on the court and represent not only yourselves, but the team, and the University." - McFan

good point/reminder McFan ... a number of players in the past two years have also used that time for conversing in line-up on the court ... disappointing, but young folks and even older folks sometimes need gentle reminders ... stress and adrenaline are likely the innocent culprits, and those can be easily cured with a little refresher from the coaching staff

Archived