UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Women's Basketball Signs Four

School Release

I am a little confused by the timing of the announcement (mid-season), but I guess women's BB operates on a different recruiting cycle than men's BB.

Check out the specs on the first listed recruit: 6'9" center from New Zealand.

I was thinking Devlin might get first dibs because of the Oceania connection, but now I'm thinking Puk might find happiness.

Does UAlbany have some sort of connection in the Oceania area. UAlbany gets two Australia recruits in two years, now Coach Abe gets a recruit from New Zealand. Just interesting.

No clue here.

The release lists one of the players as having a 4.0 in high school. Still, I think the most impressive number is 6'9"!!!!

This team is going to be fun to watch next year (not that they aren't playing well right now.)

Does UAlbany have some sort of connection in the Oceania area. UAlbany gets two Australia recruits in two years, now Coach Abe gets a recruit from New Zealand. Just interesting.

Did you see this T-U link that MSGDG posted yesterday? (The story was in the print T-U on Sunday).

Although no 'Megan Craig New Zealand baskteball' on YouTube. Have to see how well she plays, but her numbers look good. Should be good for some press even if she turns out to be a female Manute Bol. I remember Bridgeport U had a life-size Bol poster in their gym.

Couldn't find any reports of current women as tall in the NCAA. Tallest was Heidi Gillingham, 6'10", Vanderbilt in the '90s. Alyssa (Big Al, or "Tree") DeHaan was 6'9", graduated from Michigan St. last year

Article says Craig is taking classes this spring, so everybody, heads up looking for her.

School Release

I am a little confused by the timing of the announcement (mid-season), but I guess women's BB operates on a different recruiting cycle than men's BB.

The Americans were signed last fall - according to their local press: Newsday said Rohlehr signed with 'Albany', the Miami Herald announced Nov. 11 that Rosario signed with 'Albany University', and the Torrington Republican-American on Nov. 11 wrote that Royals signed with 'the University of Albany'. At least none felt required to add (NY).

JS061210NADMEG020.story-image.JPG

Gentle giant to menacing machine - The Northern Advocate

Points out the connection, which is deep in Coach Abe's profile: Coach Abe played professionally in NZ for one season.

"Albany, the New York state university, is in the top, if not quite ivy, league and has a high academic reputation"

Also, her grandmother's first cousin was Sir Edmund Hilary, the first man to climb Mt. Everest.

Regarding the men's team...I believe the our coaching staff has a connection to an Australian basketball coach.

Thought this was funny. When I checked the UA site this morning it was showing a Quantas ad.

Charlie: Ray, all airlines have crashed at one time or another, that doesn't mean that they are not safe.

Raymond: QANTAS. QANTAS never crashed.

Charlie: QANTAS?

Raymond: Never crashed.

Charlie: Oh that's gonna do me a lot of good because QANTAS doesn't fly to Los Angeles out of Cincinnati, you have to get to Melbourne! Melbourne, Australia in order to get the plane that flies to Los Angeles!

Craig was indeed at the womens game this afternoon against UMBC. It was nice to see her interacting with the team and being on campus. It makes sense to enroll as I believe it is the summer currently in NZ, this should allow her to get time in the weight room and hopefully start next year off strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived