UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I do like that idea!!!!

BTW, interesting that Joe Hoeback was beat out for the Center position. Wasn't he the Iowa transfer?

JUCO transfer and I was also surprised.

Even more surprised that we still don't have a starting QB named - there is an "or" between Leathely and DiLello

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colgate is big upfront on offense (Think UMASS Big, but could be slow, certainly not as talented as UMASSS)and they have a super running back who could probably play anywhere at any level.

They will give this kid the ball 35 times at least and when he is not running they will throw safe quick hits and screens to him due to inexperience at qb(think safe passes). Our Defense better have fresh bodies or they will wear us down. We have decent size and speed on D ourselves but we will be hard pressed to see anybody this big the rest of the way. I doubt we will see a back this good either. MAKE NO MISTAKE, COLGATE IS A VERY GOOD TEAM. They are just inexperienced at qb which is cured by a great running game.

Our LBs and secondary better be ready to fly to the football and be prepared to tackle at the POA. Punch this rb in the mouth a few times and it will slow him down!!! "Calling all big hitters for Albany" Gotta be leary of the flea flicker as well.

Was stunned to see Hoback sitting as well. Also stunned Migliore did not get moved to the right side after losing out to Williams and play there. They will probably rotate 3 lineman per position several times through the course of the game to keep them fresh as well.

Keys to victory:

Game will be short due to the running games of both teasms so scoring on D or special teams could be the difference.

Win the Turnover battle. In fact,NO TURNOVERS for UA would be helpful.

NO DUMB PENALTIES

NO 3 & Outs on Offense. Gotta move the chains and sustain drives to rest our D.

Dont let their RB run wild. He cant be contained but he can't get loose on every series.

I will be curious to see our new offense. It could catch them by surprise as people view Albany as a team very similar to Colgate. If we shake things up on O it could really catch Colgate as well as others.

Sorry Danefan and Dane96 I don't mind tyhe platoon system at QB. The hot hand plays the longest. Also could set up great packages that play to each players strenght's

O line looks good - Big, strong, move much better than the last couple of years.

RBs - Drew Smith and Romaine will be a 1-2 punch. Omar Osbourne and Tremaine Wilson looked great during the preseason as well. This is the deepest RB group ever.

WR - Kirchner is the go-to again. "Keep an eye on Cole King. Really something to see". Goes up in the air for the ball and battles. Not phenomenal speed but fast.

Defense - solid DLine led by Gallo and Delaney. Chris Wilk ran into academic difficulties so is out at ILB. Not a ton of depth there but solid everywhere else. Ford would be "shocked if someone puts alot of points against us."

Kicking game - Layton and Glass are in great shape.

Drew Smith will play WR, RB, TE, and QB. He's stronger than last year. Need to get him the ball.

Vs. Colgate - Eachus is a really great rusher. O-line is strong. First year QB is the opening. On Defense we match up very well. DT and ILB are solid. We have an edge in the kicking game. The key is whether we can stop Eachus. We need to get up early and keep them coming from behind where they have to throw the ball. Eachus was PA state wrestling champ, which shows how tough he is.

WOW!!!! Could it be a ploy to keep Colgate in the dark? It seems Leathly outplayed Dilella last year. By the same token DiLella was recruited by UCONN and is a classic drop back passer. Maybe its just a simple case of DiLella beating him out...I have no clue????

WOW!!!! Could it be a ploy to keep Colgate in the dark? It seems Leathly outplayed Dilella last year. By the same token DiLella was recruited by UCONN and is a classic drop back passer. Maybe its just a simple case of DiLella beating him out...I have no clue????

According to Ford that is the case. Leathley was hurt during spring (needed surgery on his hand which he hurt in the CCSU game last year on that fumble in OT). Apparently Di Lella was very good in the Spring and just a little better in the Fall.

I was excited to see a new revamped offense with Leathley, Smith and Romaine running all over people.

I hope I'm wrong, but this move tells me we're getting back to line up and run it straight ahead. We've won 4 NEC championships doing that but I don't know if that is enough to win in the Playoffs against bigger and deeper teams.

Ford on Wyland

Dan DiLella is starting and they are not platooning!

Buddy will play a series or two, but that's it. "Not a 2 QB system."

WOW. I really hope this is because Dan absolutely killed it in practice...and not that Buddy didn't progress.

I don't know, with Ford's praise for the WRs, plus saying Drew will play out there some, the depth at RB, and the talk during the spring about the offense 'trying to score on every play', there may be a different approach even with a drop-back QB.

I also wonder if they're planning ahead in system and recruiting to get ready for (fingers crossed!) playing on FieldTurf next year. Even this year our home games are the only ones on natural grass.

Archived