UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Would McElroy have the power to make the decision to increase schollies from where we are now,

to the maximum? Is it possible that the university is telling him its not an option and to stay put?

Anything is possible, and the decision undoubtedly comes down to budget, but McElroy is at the helm. Any decisions or lack thereof in the athletic department are on him.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 3 month's from now we'll know if we are getting a football stadium or not. Perhaps they need the stadium before making a move regarding conference/scholarships. Just trying to be optimistic.

This is our last season under the current NEC contract, correct? It will be interesting to see if we re-up.

If we could have just scored something in the 2nd half... disappointing.

Wins are wins, losses are losses. Looks like we won't get ranked this season.

Regardless, seemed like we played solid and at a quality level as did Colgate.

I agree:

We should go with DiLella. Got to hand off the leadership and let him lead.

Stony Brook has made the right decisions, we sputtered and stalled. Case closed.

Any chance we would move to Stony Brook's league?

The NEC is never going full schollies.

The CAA is doubtful to ever call on us. We could wait another 10 years and keep our little fingers

crossed and hope though.

As long as McElroy is at the helm, we aren't going anywhere. He's obviously content where we are or else we wouldn't b here.

I stand by what I said when he was hired from my contacts at three University's he was at: NON-IMPRESSIVE. No idea how to politic, no want of help from others...no real backup plan.

Poor.

Would McElroy have the power to make the decision to increase schollies from where we are now,

to the maximum? Is it possible that the university is telling him its not an option and to stay put?

Anything is possible, and the decision undoubtedly comes down to budget, but McElroy is at the helm. Any decisions or lack thereof in the athletic department are on him.

I'd be shocked if he were held back by the administration. As you point out, it is ultimately a budget issue. That said, no excuse for our piss poor website, no excuse for our piss poor stadium, no excuse for non-connection with the community, no excuse for a 100k scoreboard at one end of SEFCU that shows fouls, etc....etc.

Frankly, with the budget he has...it isn't managed well at all. I see many public agencies all over due more with less. It is time for him to move on.

Put it this way: MILT RICHARDS DID WAY MORE WITH MUCH LESS.

McElroy's contract, in his last renewal, runs 'thru 2011'. Article subhead "Athletic Director Pledges to Deliver Football Stadium for UAlbany " . Article datelined February 2, 2007 - I guess it does feel like Groundhog Day.

UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY FOOTBALL COMMITS TO NORTHEAST CONFERENCE THROUGH 2010 just past halfway thru the linked page - but I don't remember an announcement of a renewal

Getting back to the game for a minute (I was not there, previous commitments--will probably miss only 1 or 2 more games home and away total). Anyhow, I am kind of confused, Wyland kept saying how GREAT the defense was playing and how the offense was moving at will. BUT we gave up something like 600 yards and where shut out in the second half. A lot of you who were there seem to echo Wylands optimism, but it did not sound that good to me listening on the radio??????????

Also, Dillon only 3 yards rushing on 2(????) carries. Smith"s numbers unimpressive as usual. I think we need to settle on 2 or 3 running backs (one of which is not Smith); and MOST DEFINITELY NOT change QB's when the starter is hot and playing well.

I hope to hear more from those of you who were there or listened or watch video feed---are we as good as Wyland made us out to be, or as bad as it sounded and the numbers indicated???

Here is another thought. Maybe we should try Smith out at defensive back. I remember reading that when he was recruited, it was said that he had NFL "potential" , but his NFL skill set would be on defense. Since he really does NOT get it done "consistently" offensively and since the past two years we seem totally unable to stop the pass. maybe it would be a good fit for both. I know he makes the "big" play from time to time but I think Dillon/Musakis are better suited for hard nose ball control UA football.

Getting back to the game for a minute (I was not there, previous commitments--will probably miss only 1 or 2 more games home and away total). Anyhow, I am kind of confused, Wyland kept saying how GREAT the defense was playing and how the offense was moving at will. BUT we gave up something like 600 yards and where shut out in the second half. A lot of you who were there seem to echo Wylands optimism, but it did not sound that good to me listening on the radio??????????

Also, Dillon only 3 yards rushing on 2(????) carries. Smith"s numbers unimpressive as usual. I think we need to settle on 2 or 3 running backs (one of which is not Smith); and MOST DEFINITELY NOT change QB's when the starter is hot and playing well.

I hope to hear more from those of you who were there or listened or watch video feed---are we as good as Wyland made us out to be, or as bad as it sounded and the numbers indicated???

Smith was HIGHLY EFFECTIVE when he got the ball. We just decided to pass alot. When he was running...he was barreling people. The line just didnt open holes at all.

The teams were firing on all cylinders...our offense was quick striking...so that hurt our D...out on the field way too long, in a way hot/humid environment. All Colgate's offensive dominance really came in the second half.

IMHO, Colgate is a Top 20-25 team...their line, RB and QB are that good.

We only had 20 rushes the whole game, seven by the QBs.

As to time of possession, we scored 31 points in the first half in only eleven minutes. The second half would of course have looked better without the INTs. We had actually moved the ball a little, seems one drive lost momentum when the Colgate DB went down with a cramp - I'm sure he had a cramp, but it seemed like it took an awful long time to get him off the field.

Looking live it seemed like we missed a lot of tackles, and Eachus can run thru arm tackles. BTW how close was McCarney's knee to being down on that 3rd down in OT? Couldn't tell from the stadium replay.

Final thoughts about Colgate. A win that got away!!!SOOOO disappointed after this game. Where the hell was our Defense? We were on our heels for most of the second half. Their rb was good but not as good as I expected. Someone needed to account for the qb after he burned us for the rushing TD. As usual their passing game hurt us badly. One score or one stop in the second half and we are 1-0. TURNOVERS KILL EVERY TIME!!!!! Especially twice in the redzone. We probably should of beaten Colgate by 2 scores with that offense.

Yes, the offense looked great. "Air Fordie" is our new mantra. I liked Dilella and he looks like a different QB this year. The experiment with Buddy failed in the second half. The line protected the qb's well. We still do not know how well they run block yet. If we have this kind of fire[power on offense I will be quite excited. Shore up the D.

HATS OFF to our kickers!!!! They are both spectacular and will win 2-3 games for us this season. Layton will be punting on Sunday's if he can stay consistent. These two are a deadly combination!!!

Maine is now a MUST WIN. Are they as good as Colgate or are they better??? BTW the NEC does not look all that daunting this year. We have a real shot of running the table IMHO. Robert Morris lost to a very good Dayton team and CCSU's qb may be out for a while. After therir qb left with an injury Southern Conn almost came back on them. If we can have 17-24 point halfs in NEC play we should dominate.

Just finished watching the ND/Mich game...unreal. I've never been to any college football game other than UA but yikes, it looks like big time college football can really deliver in the atmosphere dept. That looked awesome!

Maybe some day with a new stadium we can have a fraction of what I just saw.

Just finished watching the ND/Mich game...unreal. I've never been to any college football game other than UA but yikes, it looks like big time college football can really deliver in the atmosphere dept. That looked awesome!

Maybe some day with a new stadium we can have a fraction of what I just saw.

We already have a fraction of what you just saw. Maybe we should have a poll question to see what the board thinks that fraction is...

Archived