UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

This game will be interesting. I am not as fearful of Monmouth as some of our fans might be. I don't imagine this a trap game because of MU's win over Rhode Island(who is terrible by the way)and their performance against Lehigh( I can only attribute LU performance as opening day blunders. If they played this weekend I think LU wins by 20)Yes, Monmouth will be good but I can't imagine they are any better than Maine & Def not in the same league as Youngstown. I have to think they are on par with Colgate. MU will come to play that is for sure. Our kids need stand up and punch MU in the mouth right from the start.

Their Oline is big but tiny & slow compared to YSU. Our qb & Offense needs to get hot early and make them play from behind. Monmouth is the same team as Albany. In fact, most teams in the NEC emulate Albany for good reason. MU does have a very good run Defense so keeping them off balance is a must!

All I can say is if we lose this game the first 4 games are a waste.I expect UA to be very successful this year. I imagine no less than 9 wins. Lose to MU and this season may be a waste. Nothing short of an NCAA berth IMHO will do in our last year in the NEC. I think Click Clack or Dane 96 put it correctly that this will be the last NCAA appearance for a few years with our moving to the CAA.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our kids need stand up and punch MU in the mouth right from the start.

Yep!

All I can say is if we lose this game the first 4 games are a waste.I expect UA to be very successful this year. I imagine no less than 9 wins. Lose to MU and this season may be a waste. Nothing short of an NCAA berth IMHO will do in our last year in the NEC. I think Click Clack or Dane 96 put it correctly that this will be the last NCAA appearance for a few years with our moving to the CAA.

There's always one or two games in conference play that are must wins to capture the championship. This is one of them.

Any team that has the chance of going undefeated, or of only losing once, is a threat to the championship. The team knows

this, and should be ready for a rumble.

Sportsnetwork pics us in an OT

Monmouth Hawks (3-1, 1-0 NEC) at Albany Great Danes (3-1, 1-0), 1 p.m.

Series Record: Albany leads, 10-4

Last Meeting: Albany 41, Monmouth 24 (Nov. 12, 2011)

What To Know: Albany has to be happy with a record of 1-1 after a tough two- game road stretch, let alone an overall record of 3-1, with a win over nationally ranked Maine last week. The Great Danes' only loss came at Youngstown State in Week 3 by a touchdown, and YSU seems to be one of the top teams in the FCS right now.

Similarly, Monmouth comes into this game with the same record and its only loss has been against nationally ranked Lehigh in Week 1. The Northeast Conference isn't looking exceptionally deep right now, so the implications surrounding this game could impact many teams.

Albany comes in averaging 212 yards per game on the ground while the Hawks' defense is giving up just 72 rush yards per game, including 48 yards over the last three wins. In fact Monmouth's defense is ranked first in the FCS in third down percentage, with opponents converting just 13 percent of the time. Amazingly, opponents have converted a mere 6-of-46 third down attempts.

If the Hawks want to continue to give teams trouble on third down, they must slow down running back Drew Smith (64 carries, 392 yards, five touchdowns) and wide receiver Cole King (16 receptions, 283 yards, four touchdowns).

Albany won't get too flashy on defense, but it has a knack of finding the ball and getting turnovers in key spots of the game.

Monmouth has been one of the biggest surprises in the NEC and wants to prove it is for real against a Great Danes program which has a lot more to lose here.

Prediction:: Albany 34, Monmouth 31 (OT)

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle_mcdonnell/index.htm

Knowing that the competition faced effects the numbers, here is a comparison of team statistics as of right now:

(Two fields are highlighted because I could not determine how 15 TDs for ranks UA 30th in FCS, but Monmouth 26th.)

uamonmouth.png

Who's had the tougher schedule?

Us by a mile.

Monmouth's results

27-17 Loss at #15 Lehigh (4-0)

41-6 Win vs. Rhode Island (0-3)

38-17 Win @ Wagner (1-3)

27-14 Win vs. Sacred Heart (0-3)

Their opponents have 1 win over Central Ct. which is 0-4 itself.

We've played two ranked teams and beat one.

Youngstown State is very very very good this year. Way better than anything Lehigh has shown. I think Lehigh would lose to Maine.